Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a question on the old surprise mechanic from the original edition of Curse of the Dark Pharaoah...

If a monster with the surprise ability moves into a space with an investigator, the combat is still delayed until the next Movement Phase, correct? So even if surprised, investigators have the chance to adjust sliders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters don't have the Surprise ability. Surprise was a condition associated with encounters only ("A monster surprises you").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Monsters don't have the Surprise ability. Surprise was a condition associated with encounters only ("A monster surprises you").

Thanks Tibs - that makes better sense. I am guessing Ambush was the attempt to bring it to monster abilities, though it plays out much differently? I always preferred the Surprise mechanic, though it might be difficult to implement for those same phasing reasons.

I am guessing there are very few Surprise encounters, if it was only done for the original edition of Pharaoh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, "Ambush" was present since the base game. When I first read about "Surprise" I thought it was going to be a monster ability, but it turned out to be encounters only.

There are only a handful. In my thread where I talked about how to combine both versions of Dark Pharaoh, I managed to keep in every "Surprise" encounter except one.

I count surprise occurring in:

2 in-town encounters (I kept only one of these)
5 Other World encounters
1 Mythos card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 8 encounters. I wonder... when you encounter "A monster appears" make a Luck +0 check or be surprised. That'd increase the number! A consideration for house rules.

In the meantime need to go fix the reference guide. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would make surprise feel less special. It won't be so surprising anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second time someone used that meme on me in two hours. That's gotta be a record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.