13 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you start combat against workers if you have 0 popularity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This question came up in a Sessions thread.

The rules don't explicitly say about combat, but page 11 covers the case of moving a character/mech onto unguarded workers: "(in the case that you cannot reduce your popularity any further, the workers are still forced to retreat)".

I would guess that combat works the same way -- you can attack a mech guarding workers even if you have 0 popularity, and you just stay at 0 if you win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, that seems to make sense, but it is a tall hill to climb to get into the 2nd tier of popularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it as a consequence, not a cost.

You are not paying popularity, but you will lose it if you can.

So, a player who is highly unpopular may turn into a loose cannon with nothing to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
This question came up in a Sessions thread.

The rules don't explicitly say about combat, but page 11 covers the case of moving a character/mech onto unguarded workers: "(in the case that you cannot reduce your popularity any further, the workers are still forced to retreat)".

I would guess that combat works the same way -- you can attack a mech guarding workers even if you have 0 popularity, and you just stay at 0 if you win?

The rules place no restriction on when you may attack based on popularity so I cannot see why you wouldn't be able to initiate combat regardless of popularity level. If there were a limitation the rules would describe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo says it well--it's a consequence, not a cost. There is no cost to moving into a territory or attacking a territory with an opponent's worker, just a consequence (or negative benefit). So you can definitely do that even if you have 0 popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll move my reply from the other thread as well.

Check pg 22-23 for combat rules. The only mention of popularity is under "Winning" on page 23, where it states:
Quote:
If the winner was the attacker, they lose 1 popularity for each worker they forced to retreat by initiating and winning combat.

I read that as if there are no defending workers present, then there is no popularity cost involved regardless of outcome.

Again, I'll be interested to read Jamey's take on this one.
Edit: Once again ninja'ed by Jamey (I'm keeping my star though). So, my initial take on this was wrong, noted & I'll keep this in mind if it comes up in one of my games (unlikely--we rarely if ever get to 0 popularity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect all costs either (a) are on a red background or (b) say the word "pay". Other penalties would be consequences and not costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a difference between upfront cost and resulting consequences.

Pay $1 to do X (can't do X if you don't have $1)

If you do X you will lose $1 (if you have $0 then you can still do X but you can't lose what you don't have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt FromVirginia
United States
Northern Virginia
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find slightly confusing is the language found on page 13 (relating to Produce) under the section: Payment is Required:

"As is the case with any action, you must be able to pay the full cost to take the Produce action. If you don't have the coins, popularity, and/or power, you must take other actions instead".

Nonetheless, Jamie has spoken above - it's clear that you can Move (an action) into a territory controlled by an opposing worker even if you don't have any popularity. There is no "Cost" to Moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khesser wrote:
What I find slightly confusing is the language found on page 13 (relating to Produce) under the section: Payment is Required:

"As is the case with any action, you must be able to pay the full cost to take the Produce action. If you don't have the coins, popularity, and/or power, you must take other actions instead".

Nonetheless, Jamie has spoken above - it's clear that you can Move (an action) into a territory controlled by an opposing worker even if you don't have any popularity. There is no "Cost" to Moving.

There's no upfront cost to combat either.

Besides actions with an upfront cost Tha one section quoted would pertain to encounter cards. If you had 0 popularity and one of the options on the encounter card required you to pay popularity, then you can't chose that option because you can't pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C.
United States
Everett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just won a 5-player game tonight, as Black, by sitting at 0 Popularity for essentially the entire game. In the 5-player game before it, I won with ~5 Popularity. As best I can tell, the only major disadvantage to low/no Popularity is not being able to afford to pay certain card costs... which is hardly much of an issue, really.

I'd guess things may change, as my group gains more experience with the game. Will see.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that will change when others get more experience, as someone else in tier 2 or 3 of the popularity track will get so many more points from the endgame multipliers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yelmac wrote:
the only major disadvantage to low/no Popularity is not being able to afford to pay certain card costs...

...and scoring lower for hexes/stars/resources at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.