Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a Spanish buyer ask to use Transferwise to pay for a game I have in the Marketplace. They have said that they do not have a Paypal account.

I've never heard of it, but a quick look on the internet would seem to show that it is legitimate, and that once the money is with me the transaction can't be cancelled or disputed by the buyer.
It would appear that the risk is with the buyer rather than me...

Does anyone have experience of using Transferwise, is it really legit and safe, and would there be any problems using it for payment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianwat wrote:
I've had a Spanish buyer ask to use Transferwise to pay for a game I have in the Marketplace. They have said that they do not have a Paypal account.

I've never heard of it, but a quick look on the internet would seem to show that it is legitimate, and that once the money is with me the transaction can't be cancelled or disputed by the buyer.

Does anyone have experience of using Transferwise, is it really legit and safe, and would there be any problems using it for payment?

I've never heard of it before, although we're located in the US, where Paypal definitely dominates.

Having said that, as a seller, the first thing I'd want to look at are the fees that sellers must pay to use the service. There's little risk in terms of being paid (if you aren't paid, you don't ship the game), but if the service is actually that seller-friendly, I'd want to know just how stiff the fees are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianwat wrote:

You may already be considering this, but remember that a lot of times the services will use a different currency exchange rate than the current rate you see by googling. This can cost you some money as well. Of course this would be true regardless of the service you are using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YA know when i read this post title the first time..

I thought i read...

BGG Marketplace: Buyer request to use Transferwife. Is it safe?

I laughed so hard! i was like..Surre its safe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of it. I've used PayPal all over the world including local in-country websites like China. They're prevalent worldwide. I'd be cautious. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I've also had a geekmail from someone who is currently banned from posting, who has used Transferwise a number of times both as buyer and seller. It is a legitimate business, set up to make international money transfer cheaper.

I've checked regarding the fees, and if I request a certain amount in pounds then that is what I will receive - the buyer pays the fees.

So there doesn't seem to be a reason not to use them in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

BGG Marketplace: Buyer request to use Transferwife. Is it safe?

IMHO YMMV RSVP BYOB etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
ianwat wrote:
I've also had a geekmail from someone who is currently banned from posting

Sounds legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
ianwat wrote:
I've also had a geekmail from someone who is currently banned from posting

Sounds legit.

In this case it is, he is well known on the site, and has a lot of experience at buying/selling and trading games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.