Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Dogana, Repubblica San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to all.
I'm doing some test matches on the game and I was a little surprised by "The Gothic line" scenario.
I know well the campaign of Italy, and especially the battles of the Gothic; I have also designed some for ASL scenarios, see http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/158645/operation...

The Gothic, in 1944, started from Pesaro, proceeded above Florence in Tuscany and to finish near La Spezia. You see:

The line that is depicted in the scenario of the page. 13 of the playbook, it seems very different.

Is there some reason? I think I will prepare a set up "more historical".
Thanks,

GC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GC58 wrote:
Hello to all.
I'm doing some test matches on the game and I was a little surprised by "The Gothic line" scenario.
I know well the campaign of Italy, and especially the battles of the Gothic; I have also designed some for ASL scenarios, see http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/158645/operation...

The Gothic, in 1944, started from Pesaro, proceeded above Florence in Tuscany and to finish near La Spezia. You see:

The line that is depicted in the scenario of the page. 13 of the playbook, it seems very different.

Is there some reason? I think I will prepare a set up "more historical".
Thanks,

GC

The battle you are referencing here, as per your included map's title is: "The Approach to the Gothic line" in August 1944. This battle is included in the game by the Diadem Scenario, ending in October 1944, and that includes "Operation Olive".

The "Gothic Line" Scenario in the game takes part in the final months of the war.

As said in the Wiki pages you seem to have consulted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Line#Time_runs_out_for_...

"Initially this line was breached during Operation Olive (also sometimes known as the Battle of Rimini), but Kesselring's forces were consistently able to retire in good order. This continued to be the case up to March 1945, with the Gothic Line being breached but with no decisive breakthrough; this would not take place until April 1945 during the final Allied offensive of the Italian Campaign."

A substantial part of the Gothic line was still intact up to 1945, and this is the final Breakthrough that this scenario represents, sorry that you do not like the tile, reflecting upon it, perhaps "Battles for the Green Line" would have been more exact. soblue

Mind you, I think that it is an excellent idea to make a separate scenario for "Operation Olive", I did not have space for this in the playbook. Do you want it to continue up to the end of the war, or want to end it earlier? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Dogana, Repubblica San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we can create a scenario only dedicated to the battles of the Gothic, perhaps from September to October.
I had prepared the same scenario for the game Anzio - AH.
As soon as I can I try the material and try to turn it .............. in a scenario for Italian Front.

Carl, congratulations on the series. excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GC58 wrote:
I believe we can create a scenario only dedicated to the battles of the Gothic, perhaps from September to October.
I had prepared the same scenario for the game Anzio - AH.
As soon as I can I try the material and try to turn it .............. in a scenario for Italian Front.

Carl, congratulations on the series. excellent games.

Wow, Great.

And thanks for the good words.

Of course you'll have to call it "The TRUE Gothic Line Scenario". blush

Tell you what, if you do this I can help into making the scenario into the same format as the ones in the rulebook, complete with the game's graphics. Perhaps we could publish it in an upcoming issue of C3i magazine?

But you might already be able to do this all by yourself. If you need any graphic files, let me know.

BTW try to make the scenario last three months, it might be better than just two. BUT two months can work with a special rule for the activation's. Get back to me when ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
During the "Operation Diadem" scenario, I used the "Gothic Line" scenario set-up to build up the Gothic Line. I made up the rationale that Germans dispositions were probably the best. Now I understand why that line was weaker than expected (in fact it was the Ghengis Khan Line).

That proves that NR4 is quite an accurate simulation of the Italian campaign. An excellent series indeed. The CB and CA/CR mechanisms, the management of reserves, supply, replacements, supports and assets, the multi-weeks offensive, NR4 really put you at operational commander level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.