Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have downloaded the rules from the official website, and am pouring through them I have a few questions:

---

Page 14: Action Cards - The rules say that you will hold a number of cards equal to your general's leadership, then says it will normally be 6 cards. Do most generals have a Leadership of 6?

No, the "Standard General" does.

---

Page 15: Game Sequence - To Activate a unit, you play an Order Card. The Order Card permits you to activate one (or more) units. Is it possible to activate a unit without an Order Card? If I just want to make a basic movement, or similar?

After activating units with Order Cards, each unit activated moves. Is this part of the Order Card, or do all activations permit movement, regardless of what the Order Card says?

Same again for ranged combat. If the Order Card said nothing about combat, can all activated units perform Ranged Combat? Or is this just the moment for performing Ranged Combat as instructed by the Order Cards?

This part makes WAY more sense after flipping through the action cards.
---

Page 18: Turns in a Combat - An attacking unit cannot turn on it's own corner to maintain contact. Is it supposed to turn on the enemy corner? May an attacker also turn to face the enemy on the rear, or on the front, or is this limited only to turning to the flank?

The example is entirely confusing to me. The last part of the rule says "Players may not remove any encirclement counters from their previous positions." Then the example goes on to indicate the removal of encirclement counters from their previous positions.

The example suggests, but does not require, that the total number of sections in contact does not change, and that encirclement counters should be added or removed to this end.

The example also says "If we remove the encirclement counter, we may receive an extra attack from the enemy without any response from our side." So any turn maneuver like this will necessarily involve at least one attack against the turning unit?

---

Page 20: Extend or Shorten a Formation - The first part of the paragraph is confusing. It suggests that you can only pivot once on the same turn you extend your formation, but the example shows the "pivot once" to be a 360-center turn. The limitation seems strange.

Is there a maximum amount of extending that a unit can do, or is it just a bad idea to go into combat with a -6 moral penalty?

---

Page 22: "A unit performing the Charge may . . . finish it's movement in the best position possible for itself." I'm not sure how to interpret this, ans the best position possible would be my unit either flanking the enemy, or attacking from the rear.

The best I can work out is that I need to line up my sections with his. In the example on this page, the attacker hits the enemy at an angle that is more-or-less even between the front and the flank, and "the attacking unit will adapt to the defender's position."

Can the attacker pick which side to attack? Could the attacker, in the example, have placed his card against the defender's flank, and encircled three pieces to the rear?

Since that would have involved a lot of sliding (which i think is not allowed, but I can't find anything that says so) could he have faced the flank, and encircled one to the rear, and two to the front? That would have been more-or-less the same as the situation in the example.

---

Encirclement Counters: These are never actually explained, as far as I can tell. I may have missed a section, somewhere, though.

It seems that they allow you to move unengaged sections up to the enemy card. Does this happen at the moment of contact? Can the enemy encircle me on my turn, or does he do it on his own turn? Does it require an Activation to encircle, or is is done as part of the unactivated combat phase?

---

Page 23: The first line says "By encircling the enemy, players also prevent the enemy from changing it's orientation, or even moving." Nothing more is said about this. Does a single encirclement token absolutely forbid any turn actions, or any withdraw movement? Or do encirclement tokens simply restrict the options?

---

Thank you for digging through my tome of questions. It's looking like a great game, and the Terrain expansion is beautiful. I'm looking forward to making Carthage sorry they ever wondered what a sword looked like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Hi,

I will write one message per page you have doubts with.

Let´s go with page 18

The possibility of making a turn when a unit is in combat means that, as in the example depicted, we turn the unit around the corner of the enemy's unit. In the example, instead of facing its front we face the flank.

You can not slide the unit till you face the rear, for example.

Reganding the encirclement counters, and following the same example, position 1,if we remove the counter that is placed by the flank of the enemy, then the enemy will roll a die to try to wound our unit.

If we turn around the unit we do not remove any encirclement counter, the only thing we do is changing the facing side.

In the example, we place our front where the encirclement counter was and we place 3 new encirclement counters to depict the new situation. But they are not removed so there is no attack from the enemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Page 20

You can extend the formation just one section by each side. So your front line can have 4, 5 or 6 sections.

And when changing the formation you will use Reduced Movement and you are just allowed to turn once. Up to 180 degrees in any direction suppossing there is enough free space to do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Page 22

When you charge, once you may contact with the enemy, you adapt your position to line up with the enemy, by the closer side.

If you make contact by one corner (as in the example) and both the front and the flank are at the same distance from your front sections then you choosehow to place your unit. Sliding is not possible. You will make an action similar to the turn of page 18. Turn around the enemy's corner.

To place encirclement counters the unit must be active and do it in its turn. So, if you are charging you can do it that turn. The enemy, on its turn and activating his unit can encircle you if there is space. And if you didn´t encircle when charging to be able to do it in another turn you must activate the unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Page 23

If you encircle the enemy in a way that you have sections contacting 3 of its sides the enemy can´t move at all, unless fleeing. Like in the example depicted

If you just have sections contacting 2 sides, as in the example in page 19, then the enemy can´t change his position unless he retreats or withdraws. But he can encircle you, as explained before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, thank you for the replies. You have cleared up most of my questions. Let me ask for clarification on one or two points:

Page 18: If I'm attacking on the flank already, and encircling to the rear, can I make a turn to attack the rear, and encircle the sides? If I was on the flank, encircling the front, could I turn to attack the front? (I don't know why I would want to)

---

Page 22: So, I charge and encircle, and attack. The enemy must counter-attack without encircle counters, but will be able to encircle on his own turn.

I must say, the encircle tokens are a wonderful device. Well done you guys.

---

Again, thanks for the answers. I'm looking forward to getting this out on the table. My enemies shall tremble before my Stone Fortress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Page 18

Onceyou are engaged in melee all you can do is turn around the enemy corner as I explained before. You can not slide your unit to reach other sections of the enemy

Page 22

If the enemy has space to encircle he can do it in his turn after activating the unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reading (and trying to understand... the rulebook, I will add some more questions.

Page 18: rotation around the unit to face its flank won't change the number of dice rolled (4), nor the malus (-1/-1 and -1 morale) for the roman unit right?

Page 25: in the LoS example, after sliding, for me, the archer won't have a clear line of sight to the top left unit (at best, the imaginary line traced will aligned with the flanks of the cavalry and the flank of the Triarii, but will cross the cavalry afterwards). Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Hi Cycyx,

you are right in both cases. The archer should be a little bit more to the right in the picture to have clear LoS with the Triarii on the left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.