10 Posts

Mystic Vale» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Improve a single card, or improve many cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwight Holman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you just bought an advancement which does something good.

And now for the decision every druid has to make:

Do I make good cards better and better, concentrating the improvements?

Or do I make bad or blank cards better, and spread the love?

I'm leaning towards mega-cards, my reasoning being that in deck builders, small decks are good because you get a better chance of drawing your whole engine or combo together. In Mystic Value, you put an engine or combo on a single card and you are guaranteed to draw it in a working state. Spreading the goodness over many cards just increases the chance of Spoiling.

Of course, if you draw nothing but basic cursed lands instead of your mega-cards, you're going to have to push/Spoil and bank a mana for a better turn.

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time yesterday and was wondering the same thing. I tried to spread advancements out while my opponent loaded up more single cards. I lost by 1 point, but I also bought more vales than she did. I'll have to play more to find out what works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no what works best. AEG said both are viable strategies. Comes down to how you are building your deck vs your own play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to fill up my blank cards with at least one mana before I start improving other cards. I find this gives me more flexibility to create synergies with those slots later, while still improving my deck. The Guardian symbols are a good example of this, as are Decay symbols and Growth symbols, and abilities like Lifebringer Seed. I want the slots on my cards to be open when those opportunities come up. Within reason, of course - if a really good synergy option appears, I'm going to go for it - filling up the blank cards doesn't take precedence in that situation.

I also prefer to have my mana spread out in my deck. So if I'm towards the bottom of my deck, and I know all of my Decay symbols have already been discarded, I can push and get mana, not blank cards. If I load up all my mana on just a few cards, those may have already been played. In that situation, pushing still gets the blank cards out of my deck, but that turn doesn't net me as much mana to spend.

But that's the difference between having a few really big turns, and more smaller turns. Both strategies seem viable to me, this is just what I've been shooting for, for now. I may switch it up and try the opposite, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to keep a theme with cards: guardian symbols, mana, or spirit symbols, that way when the card comes up there is a higher chance that I'll be able to get the high cost cards. For example: having a single spirit symbol on a card is wasteful because it is less likely it will ever get used imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The general strategic preference for deckbuilders is to be clumpy, intermixing good cards with bad ones rather than a flat set of middling cards. The floor for middling is higher, but the ceiling with a good/bad mix is where you get your really powerful turns that score significant points.

In particular with MV, it appears you can fairly safely flip past your blank cards, so they don't even slow your deck the way they would in a hand-based deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Holman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New game today, played a bit differently and spread the advancements out more, which was good for a few reasons:

More available slots, so if I needed to buy something, I had a better chance of having a top/middle/bottom it would fit into.

Only thing I regret is enhancing some of the cursed lands. Only one paid off: cheap Grasslands to make the card effectively blank, so I could draw past it. The other advancements were kinda counterproductive later in the game.

New theory: avoid enhancing the starting Cursed Lands. The cards which let you discard during Prep or Press are per card, so if you are dumping Decay icons to avoid Spoiling, you'll lose anything good on the card as well. It's easier to just keep it as 1 Mana/1 Decay so you can dump it with no reservations.

Of course, then you'll get the big points cards in Tier 3 and have no blanks except on your Cursed Lands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends.

There are no differences between filling single or multiple cards if it were not for advancements that related to other advancements on the same cards and "special powers" that lets you discard other cards and such.

As such, advancements untelated to other advancements are better put with base fertile soils and cursed lands. Advancements with helmets symbols and or abilities related to other cards are better put on blank cards to be expanded later on.

With cursed lands, it depends. I would put lower value improvements on them, since i could use other cards abilities to discard them. No point in discarding a level 3 advancement to get rid of a cursed land...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my limited experience playing:

Cursed lands (and, later on, cards with decay on them) should be paired with effects that negate the decay penalty, so that you can draw past them. You should NOT put any other effect on such cards until the decay penalty is negated, because another card might allow you to discard such decay. NEVER construct a card such that it will have two ruin on it, as this could make you spoil suddenly while only having two decay out.

Guardian symbols should be matched together, since there are effects that are enhanced by the number of guardian symbols on one card.

Spirit symbols should be matched together, so that you are more likely to have enough symbols from one card to buy a vale card or two.

Mana symbols seem to be a matter of preference. Because you can draw past blank cards, there's not much difference between spreading them out to all your blank cards or stacking them up. I would warn against spreading them out to ALL of your cards, however, particularly in the early game, because later on you may want to match up guardian/spirit symbols all on one card. If you've filled up all your blanks with at least one card each, loading up one card with symbols becomes impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Chronomodra wrote:
From my limited experience playing:

Cursed lands (and, later on, cards with decay on them) should be paired with effects that negate the decay penalty, so that you can draw past them. You should NOT put any other effect on such cards until the decay penalty is negated, because another card might allow you to discard such decay. NEVER construct a card such that it will have two ruin on it, as this could make you spoil suddenly while only having two decay out.

This is the one thing I see as undeniable.

While there is some argument for not filling up all your blank cards, putting Mana on several of them is, I think, a good idea. Otherwise you have a small number of cards with only Mana and a much larger number of cards with Mana and Decay. This reduces your chance of adding Mana without catching a Decay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.