Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are doing a couple of weeks along the Fundy coast, starting in St. Andrews, and then moving along, ending in the Shediac area, where we hear there are some great beaches.

Any sites you'd recommend as "must see"?

Naturally we've got the Hopewell Rocks, Reversing Falls, and Magnetic Hill on our radar. Plus the wife is big on seeing both the St. Andrew area and the beaches near Shediac. Anything else you'ld recommend seeing?

Same question for restaurants in the St. John / Moncton / south coast area: any "try here"? Or "avoid this place?"

Finally, any Favourite Local Game Stores that you'ld recommend dropping in on? I find that stores vary a great deal, and it's always neat to drop by and see what's big there. And even better for me, what's on sale, or on their "Used Game" shelf! Different things come and go from "play styles" in different areas, so the latter can sometimes be a real treasure trove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Price
Canada
Quispamsis
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gerry,

I'm a Saint John'er here, so naturally that is where I know best.

Not knowing which days you'll be here, I'd recommend visiting the Saint John City Market. It's a nice mashup of good food and New Brunswick memorabilia, etc. Especially if you enjoy seafood.

St. Andrews is a nice place, I enjoy staying at the Algonquin and enjoying the low key nice atmosphere of the town.

The reversing falls is tremendously overrated - you really need to be there twice 6-12 hours apart to see the change in direction. A big.. meh in my mind.

My favourite gaming store is very near the Saint John City Market, called Heroes' Beacon. They don't have a ton of sales going on, but I know I usually make a habit to support FLGS' when I'm in other towns. In Moncton, Comic Hunter has a lot of good things said about it. I'll be checking it out this weekend. I don't think you'll find a ton of on sale merchandise, as the stores here don't have huge volumes of customers that they might have in Toronto.

For restaurants in Saint John, my favourites are the East Coast Bistro and Churchill's Steakhouse. I'd also recommend the Hilton for a place to stay if I was a tourist in Saint John for the night.

Sounds like you've got a good plan for Shediac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I forgot one almost as important: Best place(s) to buy sea food ?

With our travel trailer , we can cook for ourselves, not all our meals will be in restaurants. I recall Maine has "Lobster Pound" type places on some piers and docks, with fresh caught sea food. Anything like that in NB? Not sure if Lobster is big there, or even in season. What about crab, shrimp/prawns, and fish in general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
The City Market has at least one place where you can buy seafood. Both main grocery stores (Sobeys & Superstore) have seafood counters too.

St Andrews also has the Huntsman Marine Science Centre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Price
Canada
Quispamsis
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're cooking it yourself, I would stick to the market to get it!

Otherwise, I'd probably still choose East Coast Bistro or maybe Billy's Restaurant, which is beside the market and very near Heroes' Beacon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, cooking some days, dining out others is the vague plan.

Given that I know squat about how to properly cook sea food (vs fresh water fish), my specialty being grilling beef, chicken or pork, I'm more inclined to let someone who knows what they're doing boil my lobster or crab legs for me.

But my wife is likely to have other ideas.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Whitaker
Canada
Close to Saint John
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billy's Seafood at the city market great restaurant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.