Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play the Experienced Sergeant card as my one allowed Action in my Turn it seems to follow that upon completing the card play (i.e., paying 1 CAP to play the card, then rolling 1D6 and adding the result to my current AP track) my Action is complete and it becomes the other player's turn. The rules do not appear to allow me to both play the Action Card AND take an AP Action with the affected unit in the same Turn.

This generates an inconsistent feel vis a vis the rest of the game mechanics, and I expect it was not the intent of the designer. I've read other threads where players imply that they both play the Experienced Sergeant Action card and also take an AP Action with the affected unit, all in the same Turn, even though the rules appear to specifically disallow this.

Does anyone know if there is an official clarification on this?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finachetto wrote:
If I play the Experienced Sergeant card as my one allowed Action in my Turn it seems to follow that upon completing the card play (i.e., paying 1 CAP to play the card, then rolling 1D6 and adding the result to my current AP track) my Action is complete and it becomes the other player's turn. The rules do not appear to allow me to both play the Action Card AND take an AP Action with the affected unit in the same Turn.

This generates an inconsistent feel vis a vis the rest of the game mechanics, and I expect it was not the intent of the designer. I've read other threads where players imply that they both play the Experienced Sergeant Action card and also take an AP Action with the affected unit, all in the same Turn, even though the rules appear to specifically disallow this.

Does anyone know if there is an official clarification on this?

Thanks.

Hi Ian,

Sorry, I haven't seen any official clarification, but I'm confused why one is needed? The Experienced Sergeant card is an Action card (the lightning bolt icon), and the rules are quite clear (see 2.2 in the rulebook) that you are only allowed to play one action per turn, unless using the Swift Action Bonus Card.

The Experienced Sergeant card is already quite powerful as it is, with you being able to utilize the APs to get more out of a fire group, for example. Getting an extra action on top of the AP boost could be overpowered.

Naturally, if you also hold the Swift Action card, you could play the Swift Action together with Experienced Sergeant to get the extra action after the AP increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
Hi Ian,...but I'm confused why (a clarification) is needed?

You're right, my mistake. I would simply play the card and my Turn ends.

My concern was triggered because the Experienced Sergeant card doesn't result in a battle activity that I imagine real soldiers doing. Like probably all of us, I like to get immersed in my games and imagine all the activity on the board being real, and I couldn't imagine a Sergeant suddenly shouting, "Comrades, I now have more leadership ability than I did a moment ago!" The leader's enhanced ability would have been known by the squad all along and wouldn't suddenly "appear" like that. So in effect, no imaginary physical activity results from playing that card, and that disrupted my internal "timing sense" of the activities occurring on the board. And thus I suspected the designer's intent may have been to play the card and also take an AP action, so imaginary physical activity would result from playing the card.

As it turns out, my expectation of realism went one step too far into the abstraction level of the game system. Now I know better, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Shaw
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider the experienced Sergeant telling the troops to take a break, marshal their strength - grab a quick 20 minute nap or meal to refresh them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.