GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Examples of how to correctly place tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi gang,

Including the reconaissance scenario, I've played through this game a total of 3 times and I must say the learning curve is very big. I still tend to look up a lot of rules as it's tough to keep track of.

Last night, I decided to do another solo campaign, but I think I may have screwed up tile placement and I ended up having a weird looking map.

I know the rulebook says the new tile must be adjacent to 2 tiles, but is there any way that there are illustrative examples of the right and wrong way to place tiles? For example, if using the A starting tile, do you have to explore three tiles horizontally first before going north?

I know this is probably a strange way of asking this question and maybe I'm just completely overthinking it. Any help though would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to explore 2 tiles so the third can come in between them
Right:
...3...<-touches 2 tiles

Wrong:
..3....<-touches only 1 tile

Also the corner shapes like the circles and stars should match

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
You need to explore 2 tiles so the third can come in between them
Right:
...3...<-touches 2 tiles

Wrong:
..3....<-touches only 1 tile

Also the corner shapes like the circles and stars should match
This is not entirely correct. Countryside tiles may also be adjacent to a single tile, as long as that single tile is itself adjacent to at least two other tiles. Core tiles have to be directly adjacent to at least two other tiles and not on the coastline on Wedge maps (except for the First Reconnaissance, where it is allowed).

Key rules to look for:

MK Rulebook, p. 6, Movement, section 'e' wrote:
• Countryside tiles (green tile back) can only be placed such that they will be adjacent to at least two other tiles, or adjacent to a tile that borders at least two other tiles.
• Core tiles (brown tile back) can only be placed such that they will be adjacent to at least two other tiles.

MK Rulebook, p. 12, Wedge Map wrote:
Core (brown) tiles cannot be added to the coastline. (i.e. to the leftmost and rightmost lane of tiles)

Therefore, this is totally legal:

2 2 <- bordering tile touches at least two other tiles
3 <- touches only one tile

But this is illegal:

2 2
3 <- bordering tile touches only one other tile
4 <- touches only one tile

You first have to explore an adjacent tile on row #3 to make it possible:

2 2
3 3 <- bordering tile touches two other tiles
4 <- touches only one tile

Note that tile 4 in the above example has to be a countryside tile. Core tiles may never be placed on the coastline on Wedge maps.
However, there is no such limitation on fully/partially open maps.

I do recommend checking out the rulebook very carefully. It's quite condense, yes, but every piece of information is exactly where it's supposed to be. There's also the FAQ for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Note that tile 4 in the above example has to be a countryside tile. Core tiles may never be placed on the coastline on Wedge maps.

or Columns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
Picon wrote:

or Columns?
That's what I am saying: no limitations on open maps. Wedge maps have two coastlines, open maps have 3-5 columns. While it's illegal to place Core tiles on the coastlines (Wedge), it's not illegal to place a core tile on any column (Open map), even if it's an outer one. Nevertheless, the restriction "adjacent on at least two other tiles" always applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.