13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Thematic game for five players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi people,

which thematic games would you recommend for five players? Already own BSG and Fury of Dracula... is there a game that could complement them? It looks like that most thematic games are limited/recommended to max. 4 players, mostly due to max. player count or massive downtime with more than 4 players.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love thematic games. Some of mine/my groups favorites:

Cosmic Encounter
Eclipse
Last Night on Earth
Infiltration
King of New York/King of Tokyo
Rex: Final Days of an Empire

Co-op:
Flash Point
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Space Alert
Eldritch Horror

BSG-Like:
Dead of Winter
Shadows over Camelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceskaarj wrote:
Hi people,

which thematic games would you recommend for five players? Already own BSG and Fury of Dracula... is there a game that could complement them? It looks like that most thematic games are limited/recommended to max. 4 players, mostly due to max. player count or massive downtime with more than 4 players.

Many thanks

Are you interested in considering campaign style games?

Descent: Journeys in the Dark, HeroQuest, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for these:

grummzaire wrote:

Eclipse
Eldritch Horror
Dead of Winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign mode of Imperial Assault is an exact match for 5 players (1 vs 4).

(Compared to Descent, Imperial Assault uses alternating activations, so the downtime between rebels and imperial sides is short.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cruz

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With five players:

Cosmic Encounter

Cyclades

Eldritch Horror

Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
veector wrote:

Are you interested in considering campaign style games?

Descent: Journeys in the Dark, HeroQuest, etc?

Not really... our group almost always has a different player count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
For clarity, is "Thematic" here a bobbins substitute for Ameritrash? or genuinely thematic games, whatever their style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two thematic games I really enjoy are Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) and Carson City: Big Box. These games both drip with theme that is well-integrated with their mechanisms, play best at higher player counts (5 is great for both), have lots of opportunities for player interaction, tell a story and are terrific to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Barzaghi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cosmic Encounter
Eclipse
Star Wars: Imperial Assault (or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) if you prefer the fantasy theme)
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) looks like it fits the theme very well, but I've yet to try it (use the overlays from bgg to get a balanced 5p game)
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) if you want something thematic and epic for a day of board gaming

Coops:
Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror
Space Alert
Space Cadets: haven't tried this yet, but looks great
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game: not the best player count for the game (according to the votes of the community, I only played this with 3), but I like the theme and the game requires good coordination to win. It's very good if you want a fast (30 min), but still difficult game.

None of these games have long downtimes(except TI3, but I never felt it was too much because I use downtime to plan my next moves), maybe eclipse if there're a lot of combats in the same round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceskaarj wrote:
Hi people,

Many thanks

I wouldn't necessarily say compliments BSG and Fury of Dracula but I think Scythe is very thematic and the mechanics ties very well to the whole theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: Before politics became a reality show.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Don't forget Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery, but you'd need an expansion.

Nothing Personal goes up to five players.

Junta, though I wouldn't advise playing it with less than five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.