Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled on an ad for the Kickstarter on Facebook, and wondered, "Why is this the first I'm hearing of this?!?" Of course, I immediately backed it! And, theme aside, looks like it will be a fun game. Plus, I'd rather be killing Deadites than Zombies.

And for those who haven't seen it yet:

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure, it was promoted for several weeks at least before it launched. Unlike the new Walking Dead game that launched on KS with no advertising whatsoever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how anyone could say it looks like a fun/good game, with very little shown. Admittedly, I have an EB, but because I hope they sway me with some info. But I am curious as to what everyone is seeing that suggests much about gameplay other than some bare basic assumptions?

I am waiting to see actual gameplay, updates explaining and showing some event and item cards and how they can affect gameplay, etc... And so far I have asked at least three times about gameplay (especially since they took the beta rules down) and have had zero response.

If they show nothing more of gameplay before campaign end, and keep throwing out new game modes (which possibly havent even been developed yet, let alone playtested) as add-ons, or wasting time on fan collector stuff to sucker in the hard core fans, I'm dropping before the 48 hour mark hits.

And I LOVE Evil Dead 2 and the show (Also like the original Evil Dead, Army of Darkness was Ok). I want this to be a good game, but I just don't see it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they mostly advertised it on horror sites and not through game related forums.
That's why I never heard of it before I stumbled upon it on kickstarter.

And I think game play definitely could be fun. Sure, they haven't shown much of it. But the things I've seen could definitely make it a good game if all peices fall together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you, but that could be said for just about anything. Like I said, the fact that it is Evil Dead has me waiting and hoping, because I WANT a good Evil Dead game. That would be a must for my collection. But there are soooo many issues and concerns, coupled with the real lack of gameplay info.

The Info they have given out was either safe, or has been contradictory. The questions about gameplay are ignored, given non-answers like "eventually" or "we are looking into it" or the lack of info is passed to some other entity than themselves. The changes made were due to people giving criticism of the campaign and issues, yet they actually posted a blame on the critics for causing a lull in their campaign a while ago. We know they were forced to rush to kickstarter due to something with the license, and claimed that they could get approvals and manufacturing done by November, even when people pointed out there was no way. Now they have updated to Spring 2017 which is more realistic, but it wasn't to work on playtesting and all, it was supposedly due to the licensor all of a sudden now telling them it would be delayed (after they were saying this was all worked out and planned).

Then the minis... How much have they talked to other publishers or manufacturers to find out info on producing solid minis? The prepaints dont make much sense either, being an included part of the deluxe pledge. But you can choose unpainted in the survey...for the same price? So either we are paying for a cheap prepaint, or paying for a cheap prepaint we choose not to have...it just doesn't seem well thought out, like a lot of things.

And yet, I keep my pledge because I LOVE EVIL DEAD. I want this to be good. But I can't blind myself to these issues. If the gameplay is good, the minis just need to be serviceable. I have no problem getting unpainted minis instead of a cheap ugly paint job. But the gameplay has to be there. I don't know of any game designed in four months and claim it is ready to go to the printer pending asset approval? I get that with the adjusted delivery, they get some more time to playtest than what they originally planned... But everyone knew that even to get a spring 2017 release, they would have to have the files ready and off to the printer in a few months. If they can't get all that worked out and estimated better, how can we feel secure they can produce a good game period?

Sorry for the long rant. I am typically not someone to post like this, but I want this to be good so bad... But it just doesn't look like anything more than a slapped together grab while they retained the rights to make a game. On the one hand I want to pull my pledge now and just walk away, and on the other I am convincing myself to give it another 2 weeks and see what they say/show. So I get why people are backing it. A lot probably are just huge fans who want this to be great. Seems like for a good many it is their first kickstarter. Would suck if it was their last, if the game doesn't deliver the goods. IMO with how this was handled, they were smart to advertise to horror and fan groups, and not to places like BGG or game related sites. Those people on the horror/fan sites would be more likely to back based on the IP alone.

It truly sucks though, I wish they had planned better and handled this right. Now it is just how much do I trust that they really can pull this off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always buy retail. Too many yellow flags here.

Concerns about the gameplay have been discussed, so I'll mention miniatures:
* The company doesn't have experience producing miniatures (or boardgames).
* Images look to be renders (and many mini's aren't shown).
* The company will use the reputable Panda manufacturer, but I see this as a requirement, rather than indicator of the quality or detail of the miniatures.
* Painted miniatures are often problematic for KS. CMON and 12 Realms have dropped their painted mini's options. Tokaido had flesh color problems. Most retail prepainted miniatures are poorly painted, although painted is sometimes better than unpainted.

Another KS I'm interested in will be starting at the end of July, so I'm saving up for it. The company has prior KS experience, has retail presence, and is in the business of making miniatures, so doesn't have the yellow flags this one has. (Secret Weapon Miniature's mine game tiles.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
You can always buy retail. Too many yellow flags here.

I agree there are a lot of yellow (or red) flags, but you are assuming it hits retail.

It could be like many other games that end up only available from the publisher or picking up a copy from a KS backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

* Painted miniatures are often problematic for KS. CMON and 12 Realms have dropped their painted mini's options. Tokaido had flesh color problems. Most retail prepainted miniatures are poorly painted, although painted is sometimes better than unpainted.

There will be an option to get the minis unpainted in the pledge manager or survey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.