Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fun casual-ish games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mischa Boldy
msg tools
So i'm trying to find some games that both me and my girlfriend will like.
I'm more into boardgames then she is, I like playing very varying games like mage knight, 18xx games, ascension, magic the gathering, galaxy truckers, terra mystica, Troyes and much more. I prefer games that have some strategy and are easy to learn, hard to master. She is more into casual fun games but isn't bad at strategy either.

There are a few games we both like:

- Betrayal at house on the hill
- Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre (I realize there is very little strategy in this game but I love the humor)
- Splendor

The problem with 2 of these games is obviously that they require 3 players. So does anyone have some tips for fun games that also have some strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit hits in our house for casual play (with some depth) are:
- Jaipur
- Patchwork
- Race for the Galaxy (hard to teach, but easy once you get past the icons)
- Shakespeare (if euros are okay)
- VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope I interpreted the "casual-ish" aspect correctly...

Battle Line

Dominion

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra

Jaipur

Onitama

Quarto

Valley of the Kings

Jaipur is the safe bet on this list which involves hand management, set collecting and open market trading.

Dominion is the quintessential deckbuilder which is easy to learn and plays very fast while offering a lot of replay value. A small-box deckbuilder alternative is Valley of the Kings.

Quarto is nice if you like abstracts and could be described as "hyper tic tac toe".

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra is a deduction game and real brain burner.

Battle Line could be interesting if you like highly competitive games which also involve a bit of bluffing.

Onitama is a small but clever Japanese strategy mini game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket or any other Hive version, but this one already comes with two of the expansion pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Rijswijk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a co-op game! Maybe Pandemic or Forbidden Desert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa Boldy
msg tools
Thanks fr all the suggestions. Few I already know, few I don't know will definitely look them up. More suggestions welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Senseï
A nice, simple abstract, with cute miniatures too

Rune Age is a thematic but simple card game with different scenarios (game modes).

Valley of the Kings works well with 2 in my experience. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a reasonably priced copy, I highly recommend Jambo. Quick, fun, very enjoyable 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1Battle Line
+1Jaipur

Surprised nobody mentioned:

Lost Cities
Biblios
Targi, and
Tides of Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang Lover
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well, some two player games I enjoy that employ mostly strategy are:
1. Small World (Risk-ish with separate boards for 2, 3, 4 and 5 players). Pick a race with a special power and move your race around the map conquering your enemy as you move from region to region.
2. Eight Minute Empire (this definitely falls in the casual-ish section as, once you play it multiple times you may just be able to play a full game in 8 minutes. Typically takes us more like 15-20). This is a fun game. Collect resources for victory points while, at the same time, gaining and moving armies around a map for more victory points.
-ok, I'm seeing a theme in my recommendations so far...
3. Ticket to Ride - almost everyone has played this game, but it is pretty good two players.
4. Settlers of Catan - another one that everyone has played but can play ok two players.
5. Power Grid - A little deeper than the others mentioned here, more strategy and more involved. An awesome game that is certainly best with 4-5 players but still decent enough with two.
6. Carcassonne - Tile laying game, good two player game.
7. King of Tokyo - this is a solid one. Good for two players, can grab it for about $25, very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.