H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the party games that I know have teams which mean they dont work quite as well at odd counts (5/7/9p) or have bluffing/hidden roles which I am trying to avoid at the moment. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Mysterium sort of but its not much of a party game.

Pref nothing on this list unless its a good game and I misunderstood: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/NowOrNever88?rated=...

Recommendations appreciated - thank you!

Edit: btw, by "works well at ODD player counts" - if possible, Id like games where the BGG Recommended Players lists those odd counts (5/7/9) at 10% Not Recommended or Less. So nothing like, say, Codenames and Times Up! which are better at even counts and dont do odd counts as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 5-10p party game hidden roles, no bluffing, works well at ODD player counts, no player elimination, low downtime
I'm a little confused; your thread title asks for hidden roles, but then your post says you are trying to avoid hidden roles. Is there a typo in your title?

Hmm...5-10 player party games...

Well, there's obvious stuff like Apples to Apples (and its less family friendly descendents), Dixit and Wits & Wagers.

Train of Thought goes up to 7.
Say Anything goes up to 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I'm a little confused; your thread title asks for hidden roles, but then your post says you are trying to avoid hidden roles. Is there a typo in your title?

Hmm...5-10 player party games...

Well, there's obvious stuff like Apples to Apples (and its less family friendly descendents), Dixit and Wits & Wagers.

Train of Thought goes up to 7.
Say Anything goes up to 8.

Apologies, edited properly. NO hidden roles or bluffing. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anomia: Party Edition - I recently got this one and it checks off your boxes
Pit - for a loud fast filler

Timeline: Inventions - (or any timeline) might be worth looking into. It fits some parties, can play odd #s well, and downtime is usually cut away as players try to give their guess for whoever s turn it is.

edit add: unrelated to what your asking for but related to you likeing alien frontiers and apparently that being kinda a hard bar to reach you may want to check out Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia. I got the same feeling but liked it better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I needed to entertain 5-10 people that wanted to play a board game, I would reach straight for Formula D. The basic rules with only one generic category of car damage/wear can be taught pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having an odd number of people in Codenames really isn't that big of a deal. I think it'd fit your criteria well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 to Formula D, simple rules. The only thing that could potentially be problematic is downtime, if people aren't paying attention and planning their move before it's actually their turn to roll. I know some people on here suggest playing with a timer in order to keep the game moving and feel more like a race with tough decision that need to be made quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
SocksRule wrote:

Yep, that's my recommendation too. It works perfectly well with odd numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Pit !
I believe it checks all your boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Having an odd number of people in Codenames really isn't that big of a deal. I think it'd fit your criteria well.

I agree. There's only one count that I DON'T like it at: 5. IMO 2v2 plays very differently to larger counts, and at 5, you have one team that can discuss and one team that can't. Otherwise having one less or more player than the other team IMO doesn't make that much difference.

+1 for Telestrations.

How about Incan Gold for 3-8
Snake Oil for 4-x?
It's a bit more involved but I also love Masters of Commerce/Panic on Wall St for 6-10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:

Pretty sure this is the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
The Great Dalmuti?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Panic on Wall Street! is a fast paced stock game that supports up to 10 players and can have uneven "teams"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We rarely have <5 in our group and I have trouble finding decent 5-8 player games.

I'm not sure how 'party' these games are but:

Dixit can be fun
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) has been a favourite
Android: Infiltration might be a bit involved but if you're reaching...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flick 'em Up! hits all of your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
+1 for telestrations and wits and wagers.

Camel Up play up to 8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10934/things

The Game of Things.

Works a lot like Loaded Questions, but everyone is involved in every round doing both writing and guessing, rather than only having one person guess at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept is the only game that I know of that meets all of that criteria.

You can play it teams, every-man-for-themselves, with two players all the way to 20 players or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Torrens
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
+1 Telestrations, Dixit

-1 Formula De... Way too much downtime with many players

What about 7 Wonders or Ghost Blitz?
6 nimmt!?

Battlestar Galactica is my personal favourite for a large number of players, but it doesn't really fit your criteria since there are hidden cylons among the players...

I wish Roll for the Galaxy supported more people, because I like how the simultaneous action works in that game.

Galaxy Trucker with one of its expansions (I own the big box) supports 5, and does it well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Cheney
United Kingdom
derby
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snake Oil fits your criteria. Little down time, play with even numbers and I've played it in numerous different groups, so far everyone has loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time's Up! Title Recall! is fine at odd player counts; instead of playing with the same partner each round, you give clues to the left, and receive clues from the right. The important thing is, the laughs still keep coming.

Have a look too at Knit Wit and Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not all of these are party games, but I think they're all at least somewhat partyish.

Dixit Odyssey
Concept
6 Nimmt!
Telestrations: 12 Player Party Pack
Time's Up! Deluxe
Duplik
Wits & Wagers Family or Party
Snake Oil
Monikers
Camel Up: Supercup
Word on the Street
Jungle Speed: The Extreme Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update, of the ones I've played, I think I like Concept and Dixit most (prob would go with Dixit Odysseys) with Telestration a close ish 3rd prob.

I still do not like CN odd counts honestly.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.