Subject: What comes in the $40 game instead of minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Cryptozoic said what, if anything, will be in the $40 box instead of minis? Standees? Wood cubes? Or is it up to the buyer to supply something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now they have 6 backers at that level.

I will be surprised if they actually get standees printed and deal with packing/tracking two versions of the game, especially since the one with standees is likely to be just KS and printed in small numbers. Even a couple hundred is a SMALL print run.

I would expect to find out later it is a copy of the retail game with the retail allotment of figures. Seems a massive waste of resources to have two different versions of the base game. Once the figures are approved and molds are paid for, producing the figures for the $40 tier is not going to add much to the cost, especially when compared to the hassle of getting standees through the IP approval process for such a small print run.

We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
I will be surprised if they actually get standees printed and deal with packing/tracking two versions of the game, especially since the one with standees is likely to be just KS and printed in small numbers.

My thinking as well, which is why I asked the question. I was wondering if that level was just one of the regular games with the minis removed, so buyers would have to supply their own bits. Coming with standees, that level seems like a decent value if all you are after is the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've convinced the $40 standee version will be printed for the mass market like Target, Walmart, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I've convinced the $40 standee version will be printed for the mass market like Target, Walmart, etc.

I very seriously doubt it. The figures will sell it at those places too, and again, they'll have already paid for the molds/tooling. It would be silly to also pay for the standees. And again, everything needs to be approved by AMC, adding another version has lots of costs. I doubt, for example, you would want a mass market version with standees to use pictures of the figures in the rulebook, or on the back of the box. So, more items to print and get approved. Another SKU to track and distribute. Expansion would need to support both versions so now the doubling of SKUs and printed material starts to add up.

I just don't see it.

Look for a "We'll add the base game figures to the $40 tier" stretch goal. Or more likely, they'll just announce it at some point (probably after the KS funding period).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

For the mass market, they won't be getting expansions. The minis and expansions and all that are for the hobby gamers.

I've seen Spyfall (which is by Cryptozoic) at Toys R Us up here in Canada so I'm convinced they plan to put this in stores like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:

I agree 100%. The Walking Dead name has value in the "casual" (gasp!) gaming market and I'd imagine most people that see the game sitting on a retail shelf at Target would be more inclined to pick up a ~$40 copy that has cardboard standees instead of plastic miniatures.

This KS (to me) seems like two different projects. The $40 version is mass-market. the $125 version is for the miniature gaming crowd and/or the KS backers that seemingly go bonkers for any project with miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
It would be silly to also pay for the standees.

That's absolutely positively one hundred percent true, but I'm seeing BGG'ers who keep assuming that standees are cheaper than miniatures, even when the miniatures have been made. I'm thinking we're stuck in the "perceived value" where any retail game with miniatures will automatically be sold at a higher MSRP, even though, thanks to KS, this is *now* entirely unnecessary. Heck, I'm sure there are retail games with miniatures which have sold so many copies that their mold costs have been amortized to be pennies per copy sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had assumed that the $40 pledge level would be the retail game with minis since it didn't make sense to produce a game with different parts. I had assumed that they just couldn't edit the pledge level to state this, but now I'm very curious.

If they have the molds for the minis anyway, it won't cost much more to make. Although, from the prototypes, they already have the artwork for standees too so that option wouldn't cost much either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe with standees they can reduce the box size for the mass market version, making it more attractive for stores like Target and Walmart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a comment just a few minutes ago, Cryptozoic totally confirmed the mass market edition:

"Currently, there are 3 versions of The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary represented in this campaign. there is the basic mass market version (the one with the standees), the Hobby Game Store version (the same box but with all the minis), and a Kickstarter version (for the No Sanctuary tier.) The Hobby Game version comes with 30 minis at the moment. The Kickstarer version comes with 81 mini figures + 5 exclusive crossbow tokens. Of course, that's not an apples to apples comparison since the Kickstarter version comes with the "What Lies Ahead" expansion. If you go by just the minis, the Kickstarter version will have 32 more miniature figures - 5 exclusive crossbow tokens than the Hobby Game version.(...)"

The minis are for hard core gamers not the casual Walmart/Target/etc people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
jakecarol wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

I very seriously doubt it. The figures will sell it at those places too, and again, they'll have already paid for the molds/tooling. It would be silly to also pay for the standees. And again, everything needs to be approved by AMC, adding another version has lots of costs. I doubt, for example, you would want a mass market version with standees to use pictures of the figures in the rulebook, or on the back of the box. So, more items to print and get approved. Another SKU to track and distribute. Expansion would need to support both versions so now the doubling of SKUs and printed material starts to add up.

I just don't see it.

Look for a "We'll add the base game figures to the $40 tier" stretch goal. Or more likely, they'll just announce it at some point (probably after the KS funding period).

Wow, that's a whole lot of wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.