Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Amun-Re» Forums » General

Subject: More socially interactive Amun Re or Taj Mahal? And what about Tower of Babel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
f you haven't seen my recent poll in the general forum, do vote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1608557/noisier-more-social...

Any comment son Tower of Babel? I see reports that it's quite social and a very good game minus the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Amun-Re and Taj Mahal but not ToB. I prefer Taj to AR due to its tighter focus and that it plays MUCH better with 3 than AR does.

I'm probably in the minority but I think I actually like Beowulf the Legend better than Taj - same auction mechanic (sort of) but a little better integrated into the other stuff going on than Taj's network and set collection sub-components. IMO. They are both very good.

Edit: my problem with ToB is that it was very boring. There never seemed to be much tension in which person's offers of help to pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For people who want to vote but don't want to go to the general thread:

Poll: Which is the noisier game? Taj Mahal or Amun Re
I'm trying to decide between these two games. It's come down to a tie-breaker. Noise.

On the one hand, Taj Mahal is best with 4, a good number for me.

On the other hand, Amun Re has better theme, even quite good according to some. But 5 players is a stretch.

But if one of these games is more socially interactive, then that would sway me.

Noisier game, Taj Mahal or Amun Re?
Taj Mahal, a themeless wonder
Taj Mahal, and it's got plenty theme, you hater.
Amun Re, themey enough
Amun Re, what theme? Reports of its theme are greatly exaggerated
      33 answers
Poll created by itsastickup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmb
What does theme have to do with noisy social interaction?

Every round in Taj Mahal is a ruthless multiplayer dollar auction with high stakes. Because each players' currency is hidden there's some stone cold bluffing and brinkmanship going on as well.

Amun-Re's player interaction is built around the two auctions. The first is an innovative auction also full of brinkmanship. Because of bidding restrictions, i.e. you can't just bid higher for what you want when you get out bid, there're some cool tactical considerations. The second is a communal auction that revolves around how much the players are willing to work together.

Tower of Babel is all about working together even though there is still only one winner. Every turn the players make offerings to help the person whose turn it is. Everyone who makes an offer benefits, but the person whose offer is accepted benefits the most (unless they offered too much). The trick is to net more benefits over the course of the game than anyone else.

They are all great games with different kinds of interaction. ToB is the least intense and has the simplest rules. Amun-Re has to most moving parts. TM has the most intense player interaction of them all and is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
What does theme have to do with noisy social interaction?

Nothing, the original post explains what it's all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.