Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I currently have the Big Geeky Box with all expansions (-munchkin and -it's your fault) plus about 9 or 10 custom factions. All told I have nearly 900 cards and this sucker is heavy.

We may be moving to a more space-sensitive place soon, and I'm wondering if anyone has figured out more compact/efficient ways of storing all these cards. I looked at some Magic-the-Gathering cases, but those seem to top out at around 300 cards, or if they go bigger, are wrapped in an aluminum carrying case or a bag that adds extra bulk. I'm looking for a bare minimum card holder that could accommodate 800 cards -- it's possible I'd have to pick only my favorite factions and whittle the collection down the 300 or so.

Any thoughts? Is there anyone out there who doesn't use the Geeky Box? I know it's just about the default. Thanks!

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh aka "OssianGrr"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for generic single- or multi-row cardboard boxes, BCW should make a box or set of boxes that suit your needs. They won't be as sturdy as the BGB, but they're cheap and standard.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut up one of those typical card game storage boxes, and then dropped the halves into the original base game box. I have room for all the expansions (although I skipped Munchkin and Cthulu) as well as all the tokens. I discarded the little useless plastic dividers, and generously spaced plastic insert, and printed my own dividers that are tabbed. The rules sit under everything. It's heavy, but sits upright with no issues. I also don't sleeve, as that adds too much unneeded space and weight. If I ever play this till cards are worn (which I hope to do) then I'll just pick up a copy via trade to replace any damaged or worn cards. (I don't get why everyone wants to sleeve everything. I like seeing the slow degradation that comes like a "badge of honor" from playing a game frequently. I also don't play games that I care about the components with messy people. But I digress...).

If the base game box is too big for your future storage space, then I think you'd have to go to picking your favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can also pickup a wooden artist case with an insert. While bigger than the big geeky box, depending on the insert you can store multiple games in the box. I have smash up, xenoshyft and another small card game in mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I broke down and got the BGB, I was considering doing what I do with a lot of my LCG's/Deck-builders, which was to basically have a collection of labeled Ultra-Pro 100+ deck boxes inside a Stanley or DeWalt or Stack-On tool box ($10-$25). If you get a box with the right amount of depth, you can stack 2 deck boxes high, and that will eliminate some of the space issue...with that being said, your collection is much larger than mine, and I'm not sure that at present there's a better solution than the BGB...and you want "simpler", not "lots more stuff to buy".

Perhaps one of the aforementioned tool boxes, but with some home-made foamcore dividers/walls at the base, with a lid for the interior to keep the cards from falling out all over the place?

This is definitely a tough question; I'd be interested to see what others come up with in response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
you can also pickup a wooden artist case with an insert. While bigger than the big geeky box, depending on the insert you can store multiple games in the box. I have smash up, xenoshyft and another small card game in mine

I totally forgot about this! The Broken Token makes some decent dividers that go in this. I have my Ascension collection in one and another for Legendary Encounters: Alien/Predator. Keep in mind that when the cards are put in rows horizontally (on their longer sides), it leaves some room "up top" in the case that you'll need to shift around some included wooden bits to fill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
If you're looking for generic single- or multi-row cardboard boxes, BCW should make a box or set of boxes that suit your needs. They won't be as sturdy as the BGB, but they're cheap and standard.

Huh, so looks like this vault box would hold about 600 and also accomodate the dividers. That's pretty hard to beat for 3 bucks.

Everything is still up in the air, but it's good to know this exists if I ever do need to go for space saving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
12from1 wrote:
I don't get why everyone wants to sleeve everything. I like seeing the slow degradation that comes like a "badge of honor" from playing a game frequently. I also don't play games that I care about the components with messy people. But I digress...).
I see where you are coming form but I feel sleeving is a good idea. Spending an extra 10 bucks on 1000 penny sleeves is better than spending an additional 30 bucks on a new set.
(Granted, now for me, it seems that with how infrequently i play that sleeving was not worth it.)

as for storage I find the BGB to be quite compact so I am curious as to really how little space you have. The best bet though is probably those TCG white boxes that can hold several sleeved decks for games like Magic. If you are sleeving your deck you should be able to get rougly 40 factions easily. Unsleeved you may very well be able to fit all factions and Bases in a single box.
(Though i should mention that I am referring to the Longer boxes (I assume 14-16 inches long) but the small ones are usually the only ones that people can find so you may be stuck having to get a few of them.)

Alternatively MTG Old school fat Packs are compact and can hold Prbably half of a BGB single row each. While it is useful as you can get it fairly compact, the old school MTG fat pack boxes are not as cheap as one may think.

(Tempted to buy another BGB just to carry my MTG collection (Plus the extra Geek faction and dividers will be nice to have for my custom factions (I currently own 2, Mafia and Puppets, i plan on getting more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12from1 wrote:
(I don't get why everyone wants to sleeve everything. I like seeing the slow degradation that comes like a "badge of honor" from playing a game frequently.

While this is true, it doesn't seem to work with games where expansions come out regularly. The older cards will have "wear"; the new cards will be pristine. If I wouldn't have sleeved my cards, my base game cards would be all worn out by now. If I'd smash one of those factions together with the brand new it's your fault factions, I would be able to tell if my next card on top of my deck is from the new faction or the old faction. My opponents would be able to tell how many of the cards in my hand would be from the new and old faction.
This is not information that should be available.

If you play robot+princesses, where the hoverbot minds if the top card of your deck is a minion, knowing if the card is from my old or new faction is information that allows me to "cheat".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gashnaw wrote:
as for storage I find the BGB to be quite compact so I am curious as to really how little space you have.

We may be moving overseas, so I'm looking at how to reduce my gaming collection. I think y'all are right, though, that the BGB is about as compact as you can get it, and I will have to give up factions instead. Still up in the air, though thanks for all your feedback!

Gashnaw, Mafia are a great faction. I've also really enjoyed the Luchadors and the Warrior Monks a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm typing on a mobile, so I can't quote as easily, but see valid points by
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
in regards to wear on the cards and storage.

I actually used to have my Samsh Up in sleeves, but my wife (primary gaming partner) couldn't shuffle easily. So I took them off. I used the penny sleeves, and you are correct, it was one of the longer boxes that I used to store my MtG cards in (haha, now that I'm thinking about it, THOSE were sleeved too! I'm such a hypocrite ). I cut that box in half, and with or without sleeves, I have PLENTY of room in the base box with my custom (read: ghetto) insert.

I want the BGB, but only for the factions, as the box seems too big.

As for wear, yeah, this might be a consideration, but my wife and I are not that perceptive when we play. We also have less than 50 plays in, and half were with sleeves, so perhaps I should just teach her how to shuffle sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
12from1 wrote:

I want the BGB, but only for the factions, as the box seems too big.

As for wear, yeah, this might be a consideration, but my wife and I are not that perceptive when we play. We also have less than 50 plays in, and half were with sleeves, so perhaps I should just teach her how to shuffle sleeved cards.

I wish to buy a new BGB simply for storage. of my MTG cards

Yes teach her how to shuffle sleeves, its not that hard to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.