Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got good news that Belle of the Ball will get reprinted very soon. Very very soon. Like, within the next couple of weeks! Ack! Time to get to work!

We want to incorporate errata and feedback from the last few years since the game was published. One that was brought up in early reviews is that Belle cards are fun and flavorful, but usually less valuable than just picking up the nearest Guest card. So one of the basic changes I'd like your feedback on is as follows:

Quote:
Swap step 1 and step 2, thus allowing you to play a Belle card you got this turn rather than having to wait a full round.

If you have a copy of Belle and can get a group to play this variant this weekend, I'd really love your feedback! I have some bigger changes in mind as well, but I want to test this small thing first to see if it solves the issues folks have brought up over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel, good to see that Belle did well enough to make another print run. Will it be Kickstarter again? I guess not? I was a backer of the first campaign but I have to confess that I have never played it. Too many games waiting in line, not just this one.

Whatever you do with the game it would be great if you do it with 1st edition owners in mind. If you share the new rulebook online and if the new version is playable with the 1st edition components, that would be much appreciated. If that is not possible and a newer/improved version will be released, I might have to carry the burden forever that I have not yet played the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No plans to change any of the components as far as I know, it's just simple errata and a little opportunity to smooth one aspect of gameplay. I'll keep you all appraised as it develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna test out the swap of steps as soon as i can!

In the meantime, in case no one else has pointed it out, one of the Belle cards has an error -- incorrectly saying when it should be played.

Daniel -- you heard about this? Otherwise i'll go look for that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamintham wrote:
Daniel -- you heard about this? Otherwise i'll go look for that card.

I know you meant him but I haven't heard of to either (and I am a Daniel, too), haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Belle seems to be Everywhere -- Mayhem means discard, not add to opponent group.

If this is rectified... i wouldn't mind getting a replacement copy of the card haha.

I have yet to try reversing step 1 and 2, but i do recall thinking that some of the Belle cards were rather powerful. I'm not sure if playing them straight after drawing will make them too strong.

UPDATE: My partner says it will streamline gameplay. I agree... but i still have reservations about the strength of certain Belles. We will try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't "Mayhem" just another word for "chaos" and refers to causing trouble? But the form of trouble may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, yes and no. I agree but you're (with all respect) wrong.

ALL Mayhem cards are for discard, ALL Mischief cards are for adding to opponent groups. ALL Mirth cards are for adding to yours. It's something we (my casual gamer group) noticed within the first round of the first game.

Linguistically, i agree with you, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah OK, I see. Makes perfect sense what you say. Like I said I haven't played the game before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for spotting the errata! We've only got a few days left before I've gotta make a decision on this, so I appreciate any feedback you can muster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tested this last night and I think I like the change. Immediate effects are good. If you see someone who may score in the round you can play a mayhem card if it is in the line. I like it. Immediate gratification is good for this game. No need to overly plan and it move the Belle cards faster.

There might be a couple of cards you might need to change. For example "Waltz" we noticed that during he game most cards were played immediately so o one ever had a hand of Belle cards.

We did have a situation that happened to our test can you play a Mayhem card on yourself? The card in question was the "Stop the Music" card which causes one to remove Belle Cards from you party. This would allow you to remove "Mischief" cards from your groups. We played you could even though it does not say so. I think it would be a good change to allow a player to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Stop the music" removes all Belle cards from all parties, yours and your opponents. So yes, you can use it as a defensive maneuver, an offensive maneuver, or both at once! I'll try to update the card to emphasize that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, i agree that it's neater when you get to play the Belle immediately after (if you want to). It did make Belle cards easier to play, so more were played.

Some were more powerful but it was not overwhelming. There was also a timing issue, but we easily house ruled it.

(1) The Belle finds a Secret Entrance, technically should be played before the invitation to replace it. Now that Belles are played after, the player must take note NOT to invite if they wish to play it, so it's not a Belle that can be invited and played on the same turn.

(2) The Belle proposes a Toast, is more powerful by at least one point. Not an issue, but i like it a lot more. =)

Overall, we do like switching steps one and two. Is the game better? No, we enjoyed it the same. It is neater? Yes.

NOTE: All my games have been played with two players.

NOTE 2: First game was basic. All subsequent games included the family cards (county?), without any other advanced rules. We recently added in the powers cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
"Waltz" we noticed that during he game most cards were played immediately so o one ever had a hand of Belle cards.

In my games, we still had hands of Belle cards. Admittedly, this was "seasonal", depending on how that game's meta(?) happened to go. Still, it was an overpowered card that more or less halted all Belle invites when we played with original rules. With switched steps, it feels less overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamintham wrote:
(1) The Belle finds a Secret Entrance, technically should be played before the invitation to replace it. Now that Belles are played after, the player must take note NOT to invite if they wish to play it, so it's not a Belle that can be invited and played on the same turn.

As a part of these changes, I hope to update VIP Pass and Secret Entrance so that they do not take the place of your invitation. Instead, they let you invite again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh okay.

I hope there's some way i can get replacements for changed cards haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
It's great to see this beautiful game get more attention

If you're open to some "open test", would you release some rule 2.0 for us to try it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The card changes won't be extreme. Wherever possible, I'll try to keep the card effects exactly the same, just update the wording for clarity. I'll post an errata list when all the changes are final. I'll even try to set up a paste-up PDF if you want to modify your own cards.

I've just submitted the updated rulebook to the higher-ups for review. With just a few days before Gen Con, it might be a bit before they can review it thoroughly. When it's ready for public consumption, you'll all definitely be the first I share it with though! Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.