Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Or are you keeping both? I'm debating which to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think trains is okay. I don't think I ever thought it was great. I think this game will be similar enough that it will replace my want to buy trains.

I think the biggest difference is: anyone can play trains. I think this will be a small step up from that in difficulty, but not by much. I think thematically it will be more pleasing to some, less pleasing to others. Trains is pretty boring, but I don't think anyone looks at it and goes "ugh, another fantasy game" (and I know some people who just have a strong distaste for fantasy, I don't know anyone who has a strong distaste for train themes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded Trains Rising Sun away a while ago and was missing it and planning on getting it back...

I have this now, and although I haven't played it, after reading the instructions I was left thinking 'ah, I don't need to get Trains back now'

It doesn't seem quite the same (obviously lol), and the choice of routes will be slightly more limited, but I think it'll give the same feel

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Nathaniel. I have a strong distaste for train themes. Nice to meet you. I think the only game in my collection that even has a train in it is Snowdonia, and I haven't played it yet.

So, needless to say, Tyrants is a much more desirable theme to me. I haven't played Trains to compare though, although I have watched videos on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are putting our Trains + Trains: Rising Suns + Expansion boards on the trade pile after playing Tyrants. Honestly we haven't played Trains in a while but Tyrants to us played smoother and the board action was more engaging than Trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains and rising sun hit my trade/sell pile today after playing. About to get a second play of Tyrants in already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains never interested me but Tyrants certainly did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I might keep Trains to play w/ folks who aren't big on the fantasy theme but like deck building.

But I like the train theme too, so ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
I might keep Trains to play w/ folks who aren't big on the fantasy theme but like deck building.

Disregarding theme, Mechanically are they very similar or is there enough separation to keep both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Disregarding theme, Mechanically are they very similar or is there enough separation to keep both?

I own both, played both and will keep both. I really love deck building games and LOVE the idea of combing deck builders with a board.

While trains with its fixed market feels more like Dominion, Tyrants uses the Ascension market style.
I consider trains to be more strategical. In trains you make more strategic decisions when you buy cards, while Tyrants feels a bit more you like you decide tactically as you buy whatever you can afford on a given turn. Having said that Tyrants offers option to manipulate this effect - for instance you can kill an enemy troop, place one of your troops in the vacant space to gain control over a site and thereby gain the one more influence you need to buy the card you actually want. The ebb and flow on the VP/influene-generating sites is something that keeps this game interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Terwox wrote:

I own both, played both and will keep both. I really love deck building games and LOVE the idea of combing deck builders with a board.

While trains with its fixed market feels more like Dominion, Tyrants uses the Ascension market style.
I consider trains to be more strategical. In trains you make more strategic decisions when you buy cards, while Tyrants feels a bit more you like you decide tactically as you buy whatever you can afford on a given turn. Having said that Tyrants offers option to manipulate this effect - for instance you can kill an enemy troop, place one of your troops in the vacant space to gain control over a site and thereby gain the one more influence you need to buy the card you actually want. The ebb and flow on the VP/influene-generating sites is something that keeps this game interesting.

Exactly this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find "Tyrants" to be better than "Trains" for the tension and player interaction. In Trains, we merely vie for possible routes. In Tyrants, we have much more variety in how we interact with other players, such as moving troops, moving their troops, assassinations, spies cluttering territory control, etc.

During another players turn in Tyrants, he may affect my status directly by messing around with my troops and spies, or moving into coveted territory, so I am actively interested in what he does on his turn. In Trains, I don't care too much about what the other player does short of where he routes himself on the board.

I enjoy the theme better in Tyrants as well.

I don't think both games are twins, but I don't see the need to get both if one has neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:
I find "Tyrants" to be better than "Trains" for the tension and player interaction. In Trains, we merely vie for possible routes. In Tyrants, we have much more variety in how we interact with other players, such as moving troops, moving their troops, assassinations, spies cluttering territory control, etc.

During another players turn in Tyrants, he may affect my status directly by messing around with my troops and spies, or moving into coveted territory, so I am actively interested in what he does on his turn. In Trains, I don't care too much about what the other player does short of where he routes himself on the board.

I enjoy the theme better in Tyrants as well.

I don't think both games are twins, but I don't see the need to get both if one has neither.

That direct player interaction is what puts a step above other deck building games that I have played, including Trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.