Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so we've run through two campaigns now, the original and last night we finished up Beyond The Grave. Haldor featured in both, but the guy that played him last time played him to the point we're all wondering if we're doing something wrong.

Every enemy Haldor killed got him +1 die on non-magic attacks. He loaded him up with his best melee weapons (2 of them), plate armor, and Cleave. He would jump out and roll 4 or 5 dice against a weak hero (or two) and get a kill (sometimes 2). Then he'd be rolling 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 dice. It just steamrolled VERY quickly, and when he went for the Dread King, he was rolling like 10 or 12 attack dice or more. He also had something (don't remember what) that gave him extra defense for death curses. Soooo, he would kill our heroes, gaining himself coins and +1 attack die per hero (he got up to 6 or 7 extra dice), which would allow him to buy off his death curses, and get extra dice to pummel our heroes some more, gaining more coins, etc. If we killed him, he just bounced back stronger than before.

This is a really long way of getting to the question: did we play something wrong with him? Does his ability "reset" when he dies? Is there a limit to the number of +1's he can get? Is he over-powered, or do we just not know what the hell we're doing?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddi F
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only Hero-Kills gave him the extra die, then I think you played it right. Seems like Haldor is a very good hero for the later scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if we're doing it right he's crazy good (and yep, only giving him dice for killing other heroes). Just spend a few turns pounding other heroes, and you get your dice pool up significantly. I was hoping we were missing something, but I don't think we are.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with his rules, but I found this on another thread for his rules: "Rolls +1 die on all non-Magic melee attacks for each enemy hero he's killed this scenario. 1 defense. 5 health."

It sounds to me like you played it right. However, my question is "Why do you have weak characters in the final scenario?"

If you know that he is in the game, try to stay at range or tank up your characters so that they are harder to kill. Wind Blast him to where is he surrounded by NPCs so that he wastes his attacks or Banish him to the spawn tile. Maybe you can't stop him, but you might be able to slow him down.

In the set-up you describe, he has 5 cards (2 swords, cleave, armor, and extra defense from death curse item), so he is a cheater! I assume those were at different times He only gets two attacks before resting, so he shouldn't be able to outpace a full guild on his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, those are his rules.

I haven't found a way to have 3 completely strong characters in all of the guilds. Usually there are at least 1-3 that are pretty easy for a 5-6 die attack to punch through, especially with items that allow crits to count as 2 extra successes. And once he's hit killed off one or two heroes, he's rolling 6-8 dice on attacks, so it gets rapidly easier to kill heroes and get the extra dice.

With portals, staying at range just isn't practical. He portalled around to the weakest characters and took them out. Once he had a few tokens on him, it wasn't even much of an effort (one attack yielded 19 hits).

I'm a little iffy on his set up because he rested and swapped gear, but yeah, he only ever had 4 items at once.

That being said, it wasn't like it was a complete trouncing. The player right before me had a chance to kill the Dread King, and came close, but no cigar. I didn't have a shot and then Haldor smashed him.

Every other scenario, though, Haldor just ran around smashing us. He got least deaths and most coins in almost every scenario. Our heroes were stuck with Death Curses (also, Haldor was really lucky and never got anything but a "NO CURSE" card), which made coins harder to come by, which made leveling up effectively more difficult, which made defending against Haldor more difficult.

At any rate, I'm not confident we're playing him correctly, and it's likely our lack of skill that's at play, and not Haldor himself. I was just curious if anyone else had this experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Haldor player was just getting very lucky. Also, when there is an especially powerful character they should be the targets of the tombstone cards that let you move and attack monsters. Having to rest and respawn him frequently would get inconvenient.

Haldor is probably at his strongest in 4 player games. In the 2 player ones I've had he isn't able to get enough kills to go crazy.

Lastly don't forget that only criticals count as a hit against the dread king. He ignores the effects of the weapons that deal extra damage on criticals. His payback reaction could also involve moving back and forth to get extra wounds on the target character then hitting them and hopefully taking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's one thing we screwed up. We definitely counted his criticals as three hits, not just one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think he is bad, wait until someone in your group figures out the finer points of using Seth and Spike to their full potential. They are both lethal to other players late in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I still don't get what's the big deal here? You have a character that starts off with no bonuses and then gets stronger with more kills.

Just right off the bat, let's compare it to Sonja who get absurd amount of dice or heartless that completely ignores your defense as sword users.

And to be honest, you are playing things wrong in a way, not the rules (Except what you pointed out) but the fact that someone gets a powerful character means all of you should spend a round or two and take him out.

That's why snowballing isn't such a thing in this game since move too far ahead, you are instant target for everyone.

Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what were all the guild structures? What characters did each one have?

Ender02 wrote:
If you think he is bad, wait until someone in your group figures out the finer points of using Seth and Spike to their full potential. They are both lethal to other players late in the game.

Yeah, I finished both original and undead campaign and both ended with Spike killing the final boss practically blindly. Against the dread king he had the soulstone which was insanely horrible to play against.

Seth isn't powerful as people make him out to be. Magic attacks don't do so much damage that a character with just some extra life equipment should survive him fine. I find Heartless more terrifying since swords do more damage and also give defenses and rerolls.

But Seth? He really isn't even that great for PvE. Most monsters don't have defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.