Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Mini's and dudes on a board a lot of the concepts feel similar to the Walking Dead Best Defense Game. I'll admit I just heard about this and have just started looking into it but it feels similar from what I've read.

Appreciate any responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
Besides Mini's and dudes on a board a lot of the concepts feel similar to the Walking Dead Best Defense Game. I'll admit I just heard about this and have just started looking into it but it feels similar from what I've read.

Without getting too in depth, I'll just say that these two games don't have much in common aside from the theme

I'd highly advise checking out Rhado's video here on BGG. He does a great job presenting the game features.

I would just copy and paste the game descriptions from the Kickstarter page, which do a good job providing a basic overview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strayknife wrote:

Without getting too in depth, I'll just say that these two games don't have much in common aside from the theme

Well I'm going by memory but Best Defenses has a leader mechanic, has a similar no table talk about hands and also cards as a health mechanic.

Maybe I'm wrong but that is how I recall that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:

I haven't played Best Defense, but from what I've seen that game seems more about surviving X rounds and is more combat-driven, while No Sanctuary is scenario-based where you need to accomplish certain goals to win and the zombies are mainly just more of a hindrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the designer's advice to watch Rahdo's videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
I second the designer's advice to watch Rahdo's videos.

Watching it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
strayknife wrote:

Well I'm going by memory but Best Defenses has a leader mechanic, has a similar no table talk about hands and also cards as a health mechanic.

Maybe I'm wrong but that is how I recall that game.

I have minimal experience with Best Defense, but the leader mechanics are very different. In Best Defense, the leader has the responsibility of moving survivors, and survivors can defy that by moving somewhere else. These terms are in fact used in No Sanctuary, but are not mechanically similar.

In No Sanctuary, the leader's responsibilities are much heavier. They must choose the group's approach by picking 1 of 2 event cards drawn (the discarded one triggers a bad effect). Additionally, the approach chosen each turn has lots of scenario effects and interacts with NPCs on the board.

If I remember correctly, Best Defense does not use a hand of cards as health, although there is a table talk rule.

Hope this is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks that was helpful and the video helped a little as well. Looks like my type of game, have a KS reminder set. After just backing that gaming table I my wife might kill me if I back something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I just backed it. Now to deal with my home based walking dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.