$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Ancient World» Forums » General

Subject: Will this get a 2.0 treatment like City of iron did rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also wondering if there are plans for an expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it needs a 2.0 treatment, it's super smooth.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I don't think it needs a 2.0 treatment, it's super smooth.



It felt lacking and missing something.. The titans don't' really give enough tension. Maybe it's because we play with two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
I don't think it needs a 2.0 treatment, it's super smooth.



It felt lacking and missing something.. The titans don't' really give enough tension. Maybe it's because we play with two.


Maybe, I haven't played it with 2. With 4, every decision was tough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next Red Raven game in line for the 2.0 treatment is Empires of the Void, which is supposed to Kickstart later this year. I haven't heard anything with regards to Ancient World.

I too don't see a need for a 2nd edition, but I also didn't see the need for another City of Iron and that turned out awesome. Just about anything swimming around in Ryan Laukat's head is worth seeing...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Next Red Raven game in line for the 2.0 treatment is Empires of the Void, which is supposed to Kickstart later this year. I haven't heard anything with regards to Ancient World.

I too don't see a need for a 2nd edition, but I also didn't see the need for another City of Iron and that turned out awesome. Just about anything swimming around in Ryan Laukat's head is worth seeing...


perhaps but an expansion is needed imho.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be a much larger fan of Red Raven Games if he stopped making version 2.0's of his games and instead made expansions. It is getting rather frustrating knowing that if I buy one of his games there is a good chance it will get a 2.0 treatment.

Sure you may say "So what, your 1st edition is still valid" but it isn't compatible with any expansions he will make. I know it is the reason I avoided Above and Below and am avoiding Near and Far.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Grumsh wrote:
I would be a much larger fan of Red Raven Games if he stopped making version 2.0's of his games and instead made expansions. It is getting rather frustrating knowing that if I buy one of his games there is a good chance it will get a 2.0 treatment.

Sure you may say "So what, your 1st edition is still valid" but it isn't compatible with any expansions he will make. I know it is the reason I avoided Above and Below and am avoiding Near and Far.


Has Red Raven done this for any of their other games besides City of Iron?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I would be a much larger fan of Red Raven Games if he stopped making version 2.0's of his games and instead made expansions. It is getting rather frustrating knowing that if I buy one of his games there is a good chance it will get a 2.0 treatment.

Sure you may say "So what, your 1st edition is still valid" but it isn't compatible with any expansions he will make. I know it is the reason I avoided Above and Below and am avoiding Near and Far.


Seems to plague new designers and Kickstarter games too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ehartnett00 wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
I would be a much larger fan of Red Raven Games if he stopped making version 2.0's of his games and instead made expansions. It is getting rather frustrating knowing that if I buy one of his games there is a good chance it will get a 2.0 treatment.

Sure you may say "So what, your 1st edition is still valid" but it isn't compatible with any expansions he will make. I know it is the reason I avoided Above and Below and am avoiding Near and Far.


Has Red Raven done this for any of their other games besides City of Iron?


You're right. City of Iron has been the only game to get this treatment so far. You can maybe say Eight Minute Empire: Legends is a 2nd edition of EME. Empires of the Void actually makes the most sense to get the treatment (which it is) because it's his first release and has been out of print the longest. He actually hasn't gone crazy making 2.0 editions of everything.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know I would say 3 games is a pretty good sample size when you have under 10 games made.

Really not trying to come off as negative it is just frustrating spending hard earned cash knowing that if any expansions come out I will be unable to enjoy the content. Pandemic really frustrated me with that and ever since then the practice leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I do enjoy Red Ravens Games owning Empires of the Void, 8 Minute Empire, and of course City of Iron is not compatible with with 2nd edition expansion. . .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about a second edition. I think an expansion works. I would like a deluxe upgrade though when it comes to coins and other tokens. I would also love some better quality player boards and cards, maybe good thick ones like city of iron 1st edition (I do not have second).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
I don't know about a second edition. I think an expansion works. I would like a deluxe upgrade though when it comes to coins and other tokens. I would also love some better quality player boards and cards, maybe good thick ones like city of iron 1st edition (I do not have second).


Sadly Ryan said no expansion is planned. Seems he's moved on
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.