Subject: Jerusalem pride parade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Introductory digression:

As morbidly fascinating as the slow motion train wreck of US politics might be at the moment, I for one wish to talk about something else. After all, I'm basically no longer a signatory of that particular suicide pact. I only hope that the US will come to its collective senses but am not even sure anymore what that would mean.

Main topic:

Today here in Jerusalem was held the 15th annual pride parade. Considering the attack last year, security was heavy even by Israeli standards but it seems to have worked. As far as I know, there were no incidents this year although some people were arrested for trying to disrupt the event.

The big point of controversy is that our mayor, Nir Birkat, chose not to attend the event saying he did not wish to offend the religious. Most religious Jews incidentally might not attend the event but are okay with it happening. My own suspicious is that what Mayor Birkat meant was that his resence might attract more extremist religious nutcases to the event. It's even in my opinion highly likely the police quietly asked him not to attend so they could concentrate on providing the event security without worrying about the mayor security at the same time.

Then again the event is controversial among many religious folks. The last advice about it I've heard from a rav though is from a few years ago: "If you object, stay home and pray."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Hope the crazies took the advice and stayed home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Hope the crazies took the advice and stayed home.

If I understand the news report attached above correctly and it's accurate, a few showed up with knives but were quickly arrested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, better than last year. Sheesh. Why do people care what other people do in their bedrooms with other consenting adults?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Well, better than last year. Sheesh. Why do people care what other people do in their bedrooms with other consenting adults?

Because people can be selective about which parts of the Torah they recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you have have to have something to do if your a republican for those times when your not gridlocking the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Because people can be selective about which parts of the Torah they recall.

Well thank God Christians and Muslims don't do that....

Oh, wait... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.