Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Excessive Quotes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.


Totally.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.


Totally.

When does one stop to be a new user? Ziggurat for the win!gulpmodest
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.


Totally.


+1
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
wamsp wrote:
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.


Totally.

When does one stop to be a new user? Ziggurat for the win!gulpmodest


It drives me bonkers, I won't unless I am third in line.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
wamsp wrote:
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.


Totally.

When does one stop to be a new user? Ziggurat for the win!gulpmodest


It drives me bonkers, I won't unless I am third in line.


Time to reap the nested post whirlwind.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
über evil bob
United States
Mount Doom
Middle-earth
flag msg tools
And you thought Old & CE Bob was Evil
badge
LIVE ACTION SPAM HUNTER
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
in my former life as a database admin
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I was also .. mb

I now hunt SPAM, I can still move and lock threads

the OP expressed a frustration with excessive quoting
lets not build this thread into a ziggurat that will need to be locked
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
When does one stop to be a new user?


30 days
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I rushed back to my laptop to answer this with ziggurat and MB references (too painful with phone), but I see he beat me to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.



I use quote to respond to the right thing otherwise replies can get confusing - such as in this scenario where I am replying to you.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use quotes when I'm in a discussion with someone who likes to edit their previous comments or to specify exactly to whom I'm responding.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
wamsp wrote:
Calinor wrote:
Okay so this is really starting to bother me. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also a rule on a lot of forums I've used before.

It is not exactly spelled out in this page for Community Rules, however it is basically Spam, and it's generally worse than "Excessive Signatures" and those are both on the list. It is disruptive, and it does say that the list of disruptive content isn't limited to the listed things.

Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response. Then another person does the same, and on it goes until you have 5+ nested quotes. Most of the time these people aren't even responding to anything in the quote. Even if they're responding to the post in general, there is nothing specific that needs to be called out, and their response could have been done by replying instead.

So is this acceptable or not? Am I helping to improve my community by flagging the post, or am I going to get myself in trouble for wrongfully flagging things?

Most of the people doing this have intelligent things to say, but the formatting of their posts makes it hard to wade through some threads. I'm unsure whether they understand the difference between hitting Reply or Quote, and if they are simply using Quote as a default response method.


Totally.

When does one stop to be a new user? Ziggurat for the win!gulpmodest


It drives me bonkers, I won't unless I am third in line.


Time to reap the nested post whirlwind.


This should be interesting.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob has a ziggurat detector, so it's only a matter of time before mb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't care
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chief0101 wrote:
I use quote to respond to the right thing
I get that, but you can be more efficient and target your response, without all the bloat. While I understand that while I'm posting a response, someone can post before I get mine in there, so it may not look like I'm responding to the right thing... rarely is this confusing. When you have actual conversations in real life you don't "quote" your friend and then speak (well rarely), you just speak. This doesn't get confusing because of context. This is even easier to understand on a message board where you can go back and review what was said.

For example you could have simply quoted:
Calinor wrote:
Specifically what I'm talking about is one person clicking Quote/QuickQuote, just to do a normal response.

"I use quote to respond to the right thing otherwise replies can get confusing - such as in this scenario where I am replying to you."

Even if you're simply trying to call out what post you're responding to, there is a fairly large difference between quoting a post, and quoting a quote of a quote of a quote of a... you get the point. Rarely does it bother me to see a single quote, although it is still annoying to see multiple paragraphs quoted to then simply respond, without actually responding to those points discretely. Even if you are going to respond to every single point made, then you would be better off quoting a small portion, respond, and over and over, until you've made all your points.

However if you're simply trying to show which post you're responding to, I beg you to simply quote what they said, and not pull in the half dozen posts that they couldn't be bothered to take the effort to remove.

-----------------------------------

You can also simply be a little more personal, like reply with:

Travis, I understand your point, but I don't exactly agree with it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigb0420 wrote:
I don't care


About quotes, ziggurats, über evil bob, or what?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
Bigb0420 wrote:
I don't care


About quotes, ziggurats, über evil bob, or what?


Bob on a ziggurat, shooting nuke missiles at other ziggurats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@First response: k s (wamsp)

You're post was mildly amusing. You'll get no thumbs up from me, because your post was Spam, Off-Topic, and directly counter to the purpose of my thread. You'll neither get an X, Hide or Flag, because it was mildly amusing. Had my topic been answered by someone who can make an official response for BGG, then you had posted, it would have been fair game IMO, but as a first response this is simply bad etiquette (at best).

Posts 3,4,5,6, and anyone else that does this, will be getting flagged. Your posts are overtly offensive, Spam, Off-Topic, and counter productive. No I take that last one back, they illustrate exactly why this is bad.

I ask anyone else that is willing to also flag these posts. At least in this thread these posts are inappropriate and moderator attention should be drawn to them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to reduce quotes down to the one sentence or passage I intend to reference, and keep the author sorted out.

It does take a little work.

[Edit: I don't flag much, I just scroll past quoted blocks.]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
your post was Spam, Off-Topic, and directly counter to the purpose of my thread... as a first response this is simply bad etiquette (at best).


Wow. I was just agreeing with your point; no need to be mean about it.

One might even be inclined to suggest that your original thread itself is a bit spammy, off-topic and directly counter to the purpose of the "New User Questions" forum and simply bad etiquette (at best).

However you'll neither get an X, Hide or Flag because your post enabled comments 3, 4, 5 and 6, which were mildly amusing.
7 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
@First response: k s (wamsp)

You're post was mildly amusing. You'll get no thumbs up from me, because your post was Spam, Off-Topic, and directly counter to the purpose of my thread. You'll neither get an X, Hide or Flag, because it was mildly amusing. Had my topic been answered by someone who can make an official response for BGG, then you had posted, it would have been fair game IMO, but as a first response this is simply bad etiquette (at best).

Posts 3,4,5,6, and anyone else that does this, will be getting flagged. Your posts are overtly offensive, Spam, Off-Topic, and counter productive. No I take that last one back, they illustrate exactly why this is bad.

I ask anyone else that is willing to also flag these posts. At least in this thread these posts are inappropriate and moderator attention should be drawn to them.


I appreciate this post, kinda bad day at work, but this gave me a chuckle. Overtly offensive? If a quote box is going to offend, internet forums may not be the place for you. Spam? Sure, but the shoe fits because the whole thread is infact just spam. Off-Topic? I would stay on topic if I was attempting to fall asleep. Counter Productive? Not in the least. Everyone deserves a good chuckle.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One might even be inclined to suggest that your original thread itself is a bit spammy, off-topic and directly counter to the purpose of the "New User Questions" forum and simply bad etiquette (at best).
From the description of the Forum: "New users and those needing assistance with the site can post messages here for assistance."

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I felt it belonged here a little more, but a decent case could be argued that it belongs more in:
Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Quote:
If a quote box is going to offend
It's not the quote that offends it's the poster. Someone doing something expressly to get a rise (see: trolling) after I raised the issue for discussion.

Quote:
Spam? Sure, but the shoe fits because the whole thread is infact just spam.
You feel that way because it's something that you don't care about. My thread has relevance, therefore is not spam, by definition.

Quote:
Off-Topic? I would stay on topic if I was attempting to fall asleep.
So you seek only to derail threads in general, unless it's bedtime?

Quote:
Counter Productive? Not in the least.
Well at least I get a chuckle out of this too...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use quotes very often. But I do use quotation fingers as much as possible.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Calinor wrote:
@First response: k s (wamsp)

You're post was mildly amusing. You'll get no thumbs up from me, because your post was Spam, Off-Topic, and directly counter to the purpose of my thread. You'll neither get an X, Hide or Flag, because it was mildly amusing. Had my topic been answered by someone who can make an official response for BGG, then you had posted, it would have been fair game IMO, but as a first response this is simply bad etiquette (at best).

Posts 3,4,5,6, and anyone else that does this, will be getting flagged. Your posts are overtly offensive, Spam, Off-Topic, and counter productive. No I take that last one back, they illustrate exactly why this is bad.

I ask anyone else that is willing to also flag these posts. At least in this thread these posts are inappropriate and moderator attention should be drawn to them.


I appreciate this post, kinda bad day at work, but this gave me a chuckle. Overtly offensive? If a quote box is going to offend, internet forums may not be the place for you. Spam? Sure, but the shoe fits because the whole thread is infact just spam. Off-Topic? I would stay on topic if I was attempting to fall asleep. Counter Productive? Not in the least. Everyone deserves a good chuckle.


You just don't get irony, do you?


Edit: Oh wait he's serious. My apologies Mabuchi
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
@First response: k s (wamsp)

You're post was mildly amusing. You'll get no thumbs up from me, because your post was Spam, Off-Topic, and directly counter to the purpose of my thread. You'll neither get an X, Hide or Flag, because it was mildly amusing. Had my topic been answered by someone who can make an official response for BGG, then you had posted, it would have been fair game IMO, but as a first response this is simply bad etiquette (at best).

Posts 3,4,5,6, and anyone else that does this, will be getting flagged. Your posts are overtly offensive, Spam, Off-Topic, and counter productive. No I take that last one back, they illustrate exactly why this is bad.

I ask anyone else that is willing to also flag these posts. At least in this thread these posts are inappropriate and moderator attention should be drawn to them.


Good, I'm number 12
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.