United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have continuously been intrigued by this game but unfortunately I would only be able to get 2-3 players involved (myself included) and likely through email interactions. Given these constraints, do those of you who know this game well feel that it's worth a shot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's ideal with 7P, but we all have trouble arranging that.
I think if you play with the right people, you'll still enjoy it, even at less-than-optimal.
May I boldy suggest playdiplomacy.com?
Cheap, you and your friends can get into games with others, etc.

Have fun! Oh, and NEVER lie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Trojan wrote:
Sure, it's ideal with 7P, but we all have trouble arranging that. I think if you play with the right people, you'll still enjoy it, even at less-than-optimal. May I boldy suggest playdiplomacy.com?
Cheap, you and your friends can get into games with others, etc.

I second this opinion. If you're going to play by email anyway, might as well use an online Dip server to do the heavy lifting and give you guys a wealth of extra opponents to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks! Can you set it up to be sure that at least some of the gamers are your peeps? Of course, from what I hear, they may not be my be peeps for long Me...lie in Diplomacy??? What do you think I am? A gamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Dip servers just use very simple registration systems to fill up games, so as long as you register at the same time, you should easily be able to get into the same game.

Please note, though, that its considered bad form (if not outright cheating) to use out-of-game alliances to win/rig games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
Most Dip servers just use very simple registration systems to fill up games, so as long as you register at the same time, you should easily be able to get into the same game.

Please note, though, that its considered bad form (if not outright cheating) to use out-of-game alliances to win/rig games.

There'll be no worries about that. The two fellas I play with will take great satisfaction from taking me down if they can. When it comes to gaming, were're great competitors which makes winning that much sweeter. But we also know how to lose with grace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player, aka the World War I variant in my copy, certainly lets you learn the rules. After a while you will probably discover the stalemate lines and then you will want to move on.

I don't think I have ever tried it with 3 player and can't say I feel a need to try it. The sweet spot, of course, is 7 players, but you can get by with 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Glenhaber
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
I have continuously been intrigued by this game but unfortunately I would only be able to get 2-3 players involved (myself included) and likely through email interactions. Given these constraints, do those of you who know this game well feel that it's worth a shot?

3 would be a very different game from 7 players, because the alliances would be only with two possible other players, which might lead to 2 vs 1 players... I think the idea of using online players as well is a good one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linusglenhaber wrote:
3 would be a very different game from 7 players, because the alliances would be only with two possible other players, which might lead to 2 vs 1 players... I think the idea of using online players as well is a good one

Might lead to 2 vs 1?

As Fraser said, the game can be played as a deterministic two player game but that won't hold your interest long. Diplomacy is more than the name of the game, it's the essence, and with 3 players the only thing on offer is "you and me against him". Whoever is him last gets the axe, and you're back to deterministic one on one.

I think you need more for a satisfying experience; anything less than five can't do more than demonstrate the mechanics. It's a game of subtle deal making, and there isn't much subtlety in a knife fight in a phone booth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
linusglenhaber wrote:

Might lead to 2 vs 1?

As Fraser said, the game can be played as a deterministic two player game but that won't hold your interest long. Diplomacy is more than the name of the game, it's the essence, and with 3 players the only thing on offer is "you and me against him". Whoever is him last gets the axe, and you're back to deterministic one on one.

I think you need more for a satisfying experience; anything less than five can't do more than demonstrate the mechanics. It's a game of subtle deal making, and there isn't much subtlety in a knife fight in a phone booth.

Good point. I've been the one with the bullseye on my back in a 3-player game before and the better you do the bigger the target gets. I'm thinking online play with a full compliment of 7 is truly where it would shine from what I know of the game and good old human behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
I would only be able to get 2-3 players involved

Probably not worth it for 3, definitely not for 2. Although you might get something out of practicing the mechanics.

There's a Hundred Years War variant that famously supports 3 players; you can play it online on vDiplomacy: http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php?variantID=8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:

No. I don't think it is at all even close to worth it.

Ok, if you were going to play two or three turns to learn the mechanics of the game, before joining a group of 7 players to play for real, maybe. But otherwise just no.

It is a great game at 7. It is mostly playable at 6. It really shouldn't be played with fewer than 6.

It has been around long enough, though, that there are probably alternative maps that would play with 5 or 6 players quite well, and would probably be better than the standard map for that number. But less than 5 just does not have anything like the, well, diplomacy that is the point of Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

No. I don't think it is at all even close to worth it.

Ok, if you were going to play two or three turns to learn the mechanics of the game, before joining a group of 7 players to play for real, maybe. But otherwise just no.

It is a great game at 7. It is mostly playable at 6. It really shouldn't be played with fewer than 6.

It has been around long enough, though, that there are probably alternative maps that would play with 5 or 6 players quite well, and would probably be better than the standard map for that number. But less than 5 just does not have anything like the, well, diplomacy that is the point of Diplomacy.

Absolutely agree with every point David made!!!
(I feel that even with six players, it loses something.
Having Italy play provides a sense of balance between the Western 3 powers, and the Eastern 3 powers.)

My two cents worth anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:

(I feel that even with six players, it loses something.
Having Italy play provides a sense of balance between the Western 3 powers, and the Eastern 3 powers.)

Not just balance, but connection. Without Italy, you mostly have an eastern block that resolves to 2vs1, and same in the west, then the winning alliance of each block goes against the other block. Italy means things don't fall out nicely this way, and makes the whole thing far more dynamic. Also, it means there isn't a power vacuum that advantages Austria (not too bad, Austria is in a tough position) and France (who doesn't need another free SC nearby).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.