Subject: Moving Workers Into Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to comment on this thread https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1608261/question-about-... but checking the rules made me question what I was about to say:

Now, I know that workers can't be moved onto hexes just containing enemy units, but they can join mechs and characters in a combat space, however how they can get there doesn't seem completely clear to me. The rules (P11) state

Quote:
Your workers cannot move by themselves into or out of territories controlled by opponent characters and/or mechs.

but what does this, exactly, mean:
- they have to move directly with one of your combat pieces - i.e. being carried by a mech - which also implies that if you have a character plus a worker next to an enemy mech, they both can't move in there.
- they can only move into an enemy controlled hex if one of your combat units is already there - so if you had a character and a worker in adjacent hexes which were both adjacent to an enemy controlled hex, you could first move the character into the hex for combat, then move the worker in there.

i.e. does "by themselves" refer to the actual movement of the piece, or the movement action as a whole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad: The difference here is the terms "move" and "transport." A worker cannot move into combat--that is, you can't use a Move action to move a worker into combat. However, a mech can transport a worker into combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:

- they have to move directly with one of your combat pieces - i.e. being carried by a mech - which also implies that if you have a character plus a worker next to an enemy mech, they both can't move in there.

This is the correct interpretation. A worker can never use a movement of its own to enter a space with an enemy piece, as per the rules. The only way a worker can move into a combat space is if it is carried specifically by a mech, not a "combat piece" as characters cannot carry workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, glad I clarified that as I was thinking it was the other way round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Mad: The difference here is the terms "move" and "transport." A worker cannot move into combat--that is, you can't use a Move action to move a worker into combat. However, a mech can transport a worker into combat.

Makes sense thematically. Workers would tend to run away from combat, not into it.

Unless it's a Bruce Willis type worker. Then it would run barefoot across broken glass to get into battle by himself, right? Maybe that's an expansion - famous action movie star meeples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

reverendunclebastard wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

This is the correct interpretation. A worker can never use a movement of its own to enter a space with an enemy piece, as per the rules. The only way a worker can move into a combat space is if it is carried specifically by a mech, not a "combat piece" as characters cannot carry workers.

Watching Jamey and the Reverend race to answer questions on this forum is eminently entertaining...

Kudos to both of you for being so helpful! thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

reverendunclebastard wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

Watching Jamey and the Reverend race to answer questions on this forum is eminently entertaining...

Kudos to both of you for being so helpful! thumbsupthumbsup

While I am off of work I stand a chance of occasionally beating Jamey to the punch, but it won't last forever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Gerster
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, this means, that if I take i.e. 4 workers into combat, my opponent immediately looses 4 reputation ( hearts)? or only after combat IF he wins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emily Gerster wrote:
So, this means, that if I take i.e. 4 workers into combat, my opponent immediately looses 4 reputation ( hearts)? or only after combat IF he wins?
No. The victor of combat only loses Popularity for displaced workers if they were the attacker. If the attacker moves Workers into combat and the defender wins, there is no Popularity loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
Emily Gerster wrote:
after battle if the attacker wins and thereby displaces enemy workers, then the attacker loses popularity. the defender does not lose popularity due to workers. an attacker wouldn't find much advantage in bringing workers into combat unless they are Red or perhaps they expected to win as attacker but discourage a counter attack on the enemy's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
an attacker wouldn't find much advantage in bringing workers into combat unless they are Red or perhaps they expected to win as attacker but discourage a counter attack on the enemy's turn.
Or if they expected to win and wanted to Produce on that hex their next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carlson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Emily Gerster wrote:
No. The victor of combat only loses Popularity for displaced workers if they were the attacker. If the attacker moves Workers into combat and the defender wins, there is no Popularity loss.

We just finished a game where we ran into this! Rusviet transported 6 workers via Mech into combat with Saxony (who was clearly in the lead) with the hidden intention to knock me down an entire tier in popularity before the end of the game. To my surprise, the Rusviet player revealed 1 on the power dial with no cards and I blew 7 power and 2 cards to complete an objective which required one combat victory star. We agreed that since workers were forced to retreat by a Saxony Mech (even though they were defending), they went down 6 marks on the popularity track. Final scoring: Polania 56 / Rusviet 54 / Saxony 46 (I would have had 64!!!)
crycrycry HAHA! Next time we'll get it right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.