BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Pathfinder or skull and shackles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Robinson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wanted to get some recommendations. 1st I am new to the hobby let me start by saying that. I was very interested in Pathfinder ROTR but when I saw skull and shackles I was torn as I am a huge fan of the pirate theme. I obviously do not have either and was wondering if i should stick to the classic (as it seems to have far more expansions, if I end up liking it that would be a major plus) or if I should go with S&S which I think would better suit me .And 2nd will there be expansions for S&S ? Thank you for any and all input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull and Shackles was basically season two of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

Looks like it has the full expansion set released:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&o...

There has actually been a third season, and I believe a fourth is coming or already out.

Many things from each set can carry over to the others, too. So, if you really like the pirate theme, start there, and see where it takes you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
First I would recommend checking out the app to see if you like the game at all. Since this is the ROTR version that might do you for that. Assuming you like the game I would recommend the S&S set myself. It has the same overall feel as the ROTR but the addition of the ships tweaks it just enough to make it more interesting than the base game. WRT expansions so far it seems each set (3 currently, I believe I heard a rumor of a 4th one coming soon) has been distinct unto itself. So each has the same basic mechanism but a different theme, and maybe a little tweak like the ships for S&S and a d20 for the 3rd one. There is no way to port a played character from one set to another. So you can't run a character through the ROTR and then start that same character on S&S Currently I haven't heard of any expansions (beyond the 6 total adventure decks for each set) that will let you do anything w/ a fully developed character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, I'd recommend the first Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Rise of the Runelords. I played through its entirety and am currently playing through Skull and Shackles. In my opinion, the overarching narrative thrust is weaker in S&S. When it came out as an adventure path for the roleplaying game S&S was a bit more "sandboxy." So it makes sense that the card game version ended up having less of an overall narrative thrust. I'm also finding the added ship mechanic to be cumbersome and occasionally annoying. Apparently this is a common complaint. But hey, that's just me, and I'm definitely enjoying S&S. Just that I enjoyed RotR a bit more. So really, you can't go wrong with either. Maybe get whichever one is the better $$ deal??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
futiles wrote:
Skull and Shackles was basically season two of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

Looks like it has the full expansion set released:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&o...

There has actually been a third season, and I believe a fourth is coming or already out.

Many things from each set can carry over to the others, too. So, if you really like the pirate theme, start there, and see where it takes you.

Calling them seasons is a bit of a misnomer, since you miss nothing story wise by picking up with "season 2". Think of them more like flavors-- if you like the fantasy pirate theme, definitely go for Skull & Shackles.

It is true that all the adventure packs are available for S&S. Note that each adventure pack is essentially a chapter of the story, so realize that if you enjoy the game and want to play the whole adventure, the cost does add up over 6 adventures and 1 add-on character pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lampeter wrote:
Calling them seasons is a bit of a misnomer, since you miss nothing story wise by picking up with "season 2". Think of them more like flavors-- if you like the fantasy pirate theme, definitely go for Skull & Shackles.

It is true that all the adventure packs are available for S&S. Note that each adventure pack is essentially a chapter of the story, so realize that if you enjoy the game and want to play the whole adventure, the cost does add up over 6 adventures and 1 add-on character pack.
+1
Actually, I'd argue you don't miss anything if you don't pick up PACG at all. It's a terribly boring game and expensive to boot.

To the OP: If you would like to elaborate what got you interested in PACG, I'll be happy to suggest better alternatives... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found Skulls and Shackles much more tricky than Rise of the Runelords - to the point that we gave up on it as some scenarios were taking us five attempts (and while you're having all those replays you're making the game harder as in the later adventures you start removing the easier monsters after you've encountered them).

I think it was a deliberate decision on their part, as many people had complained that Rise of the Runelords was too easy. For us it was the perfect difficulty level, as though we rarely failed a scenario they were often close calls where we just managed to succeed on the final possible turn.

So you might want to factor in what sort of difficulty level you want.

We also found the narrative much less compelling in S&S. Do some pirate stuff, more pirate stuff happens etc. I also found the attempt to have everything pirate-y a bit annoying. I like having parrots and eye patches, but sharkskin armour just seemed a bit silly.

For us we loved Rise of the Runelords enough to take 3 different parties through the whole adventure and may well play again some day, where as with S&S we gave up when our first party was some way through adventure deck 5 - and now we've sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I began my PACG with S&S at the recommendation of multiple PACG players and thoroughly enjoyed it. I never played RotR, but I'm told S&S is more challenging and balanced. I found the ship mechanic to be a bit odd thematically, but the options it opens up during encounters provided some nice boosts.

I didn't care for WotR, as the extra mechanics and unbalanced enemies and traps made it a slog, but I'm really looking forward to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Mummy's Mask – Base Set coming out this Fall. Also, I played the RotR app and didn't care for it one bit. It's just not the same as having all your cards out and setting up and running through the locations by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
lampeter wrote:

+1
Actually, I'd argue you don't miss anything if you don't pick up PACG at all. It's a terribly boring game and expensive to boot.

To the OP: If you would like to elaborate what got you interested in PACG, I'll be happy to suggest better alternatives... whistle

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Games get a lot of hate in the forums. They clearly do not appeal to everyone. It seems to me that most people who enjoy it play with their spouse/partner and really enjoy the growth of their characters over a very long campaign.

If you are looking for a dungeon crawl experience, there are many that have more universal appeal, and minis to boot.

If you are looking for an RPG in a box, where no one has to GM, you will likely be disappointed.

If you are interested in optimizing dice rolls, fleshing out the story with *gasp* your imagination, and building your character over time with people you spend lots of time with, Pathfinder ACG may be for you.

My husband enjoys optimizing his dice rolls and using card combos to maximize his damage. Yes, you will be doing this every turn, but all games involve some level of repetition; what matters is whether or not you are repeating something you enjoy.

I enjoy stringing together the cards we encounter to tell a story, like the time Lem spent most of the scenario drunk and getting into fights in bars and had to be rescued by Seltyiel numerous times before pulling it together to fight the boss. The cards are only a springboard for your imagination. Many people don't like that, but many people do.

Yes, the price can add up, but on the plus side you can start with the base set and see if you like it before investing any more, and unlike a living or collectible card game, there is a limit on how much you can buy.

Sorry for the long-windedness. I just get tired of encountering the hate on every post mentioning PACG. It certainly isn't a perfect game, but geez, let people like what they like. I encourage the OP to check out videos and even the app, though for me the app didn't capture the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.