Subject: How many NPC spawn cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a good percentage of NPC cards in a spawning deck? I had a game where i included them all, together with a lot of other new cards (deadeyes, wolfz,etc) and the board was flooding with NPCs.... Everyone was getting Vault items and we'd run out of rewards and still killing NPCs everywhere....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use one set of NPC cards (12 total), not both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HARAMBE
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used all of them and the vault items go quick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also include just one set. in fact, I house ruled that you will only get a vault item, if you have collected one of every sculpt. vault items should not be given away like candy. it makes everything too easy and boring imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another way .. a pretty nice one is to include all cards; but only one set of sculpt (NPC1 OR NPC2) so getting the 5 different sculpt is harder and because you have less mini you can get extra activation faster; making them mre dangerous" and well making the vault weapon "earned"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
I would also include just one set. in fact, I house ruled that you will only get a vault item, if you have collected one of every sculpt. vault items should not be given away like candy. it makes everything too easy and boring imo.

Maybe with the KS NPCs that makes it slightly too hard? That's 13 different sculpts that need to be collected and they each appear randomly it practically becomes impossible, especially if you only use 1 deck

I also think being able to pick the vault item makes it too good as well.

I think next time I will try this house rule:
1. 1 deck of 12 NPC spawn cards
2. Random Vault card from the vault item deck
2. 6 different sculpts for a vault card, +2 additional sculpts for a vault card redraw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops.. I edited as you posted,....anyway..
here in case you want to try this other option.

"- NPCs: when a NPC is (are) spawned, drawn a Vault card. EVERY NPC on the board is using that weapon/ shield. When a NPC is killed, roll a D6, on 6 the weapon drop and as an action it can be pickup. Drawn another vault card if any NPC are left in the board."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
oops.. I edited as you posted,....anyway..
here in case you want to try this other option.

"- NPCs: when a NPC is (are) spawned, drawn a Vault card. EVERY NPC on the board is using that weapon/ shield. When a NPC is killed, roll a D6, on 6 the weapon drop and as an action it can be pickup. Drawn another vault card if any NPC are left in the board."

Sort of like what they are doing with bosses in Massive Darkness. A bit crazy having a zombiehorde casting Inferno spells, but maybe it could work Have you tried this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey... yea, I tried twice. Inferno hasn't come out. But we had the shield and orchish bow. The bow got pretty crazy at some point, we had 6 NPCs shooting at range of ?3 with 2 dice each, so we had a survivor with lucky (bob I think) shoot from a corner kill a few, hide and repeat LOL... the worst was that the bloody bow (which I REALLY wanted) never drop LOL LOL LOL

It definitely vamp up the difficulty, but I like that, make you think more and is fun LOL.. Of course you have to consider that the zombie horde in NPC is no too big. I should mention I play NPC with only ONE of the deck (12 NPCs cards)

THAT SAID We haven't play tested much yet, because we are in a campaign at the moment, and due to scaling issues, vaults can't be that easily/randomly acquired. Hence I`m not using NPC during the campaign.

THAT said, we were playing with the idea of do a penalty on NPCs to D#-1 or To hit -1, (after all they are zombies they shouldn't be too good at using these weapons lol). the problem with this, is that when you have 3 or less NPCs on the board, then going for lets say orchish bow or inferno as you said, is easier and totally worth it. If you don't modify the weapon, it REALLY makes you think about it. Or it make you go right away for it, so the thing don't kill you. But we haven't playtest that addition; hence why no in the "houserule" yet.

EDIT: originally was to have ONE of these NPC carry the weapon and use it, he couldnt get kill unless he was by himself in a zone (like medea necro)and when you killed him roll D6; if it drops yay!, if not another NPC stolen and assigned, repeat until drops or until no more NPCs on the board and weapons goes off the board. Using a different color bases to track the boss NPC; but we didn't like it because it made all the other NPCs on the board pointless, regular walkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
another way .. a pretty nice one is to include all cards; but only one set of sculpt (NPC1 OR NPC2) so getting the 5 different sculpt is harder and because you have less mini you can get extra activation faster; making them mre dangerous" and well making the vault weapon "earned"

This wouldn't affect extra activations. If you are out of NPC sculpts, normal walkers are spawned. Only if you are out of BOTH, do all walkers (NPC or not) get an extra activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:
another way .. a pretty nice one is to include all cards; but only one set of sculpt (NPC1 OR NPC2) so getting the 5 different sculpt is harder and because you have less mini you can get extra activation faster; making them more dangerous" and well making the vault weapon "earned"

This wouldn't affect extra activations. If you are out of NPC sculpts, normal walkers are spawned. Only if you are out of BOTH, do all walkers (NPC or not) get an extra activation.

actually, yes. you are still at risk of more extra activation. if you add 2 deck of NPCs without removing walkers cards. But ONLY add one set of mini for NPC (20) instead of 40, the extra activation would come faster. you would run out of walkers and NPC faster.

OOOORRRR.... you play that if no NPC mini = extra activation for NPC, which is the intention of that houserule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.