Jeshua Siplak
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I was planning on reintroducing my friends to Brimstone with Hexcrawl and want to get some expansions. Having only the core boxes and Cynder I'm of course in dire need of some Ranged enemies. Which available sets are good for that?

So far I'm planning on
Frontier Towns
Serpentmen (are they ranged? I just really like them)
Guardian of Targa (again just really like him)

I just can't find an easy breakdown of which ones are Ranged.

Also, any suggestions on printing and binding the two Hexcrawl Manuals? I took the PDFs to FedEx Office and they quoted $35+ for EACH. Way too much in my eyes (and I even have an employee discount there).

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally really enjoy the Shadows of Brimstone: Masters of the Void Deluxe Enemy Pack. It includes the sorcerers that have ranged magic attacks but also a brutal melee attack if you find yourself next to one. Their magic spells keep things interesting.

Other ranged attackers are the Trun Hunters, Scafford gang and the undead outlaws (I dont think they are available at retail yet).

I have the Gaurdian as well, he is interesting, but I like the Void Sorcerers more. The Bandits in the Frontier Town are nice, but kind of vanilla but the rest of the expansion is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Serpentmen Shaman is ranged; the others are not. Guardian has range, as do the Bandits from the Frontier Town.

Scafford Gang is ranged. That's supposed to be out pretty shortly.

Lavamen from Cynder have an Elite ability that gives them ranged, but they're not normally ranged.

Void Sorcerers from the Masters of the Void are ranged.

Trederran Raiders are ranged, as will most or all of the enemies in the upcoming Trederra Otherworld set.

Trun Hunters are ranged.

Custodians of Targa (not yet released, but they will be soon) are ranged.

Undead Outlaws (also not yet released, but soon) are ranged.

Beli'al (also not yet released, but soon) is ranged.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
The Serpentmen Shaman is ranged; the others are not. Guardian has range, as do the Bandits from the Frontier Town.

Scafford Gang is ranged. That's supposed to be out pretty shortly.

Lavamen from Cynder have an Elite ability that gives them ranged, but they're not normally ranged.

Void Sorcerers from the Masters of the Void are ranged.

Trederran Raiders are ranged, as will most or all of the enemies in the upcoming Trederra Otherworld set.

Trun Hunters are ranged.

Custodians of Targa (not yet released, but they will be soon) are ranged.

Undead Outlaws (also not yet released, but soon) are ranged.

Beli'al (also not yet released, but soon) is ranged.

Hope that helps!

Scafford Gang are already available on the webstore, and should be at most retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Scafford Gang with the mutations and lieutenants.

Would definitely recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod
msg tools
mbmb
Lulu.com for printing. Cost $3 per book and the quality is really nice for a perfect bound book. Create your own book project but make it only available to yourself. I've done this with lots of PDFs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Don't pay that much to print HexCrawl, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/shadows-of-br...

After I get what I have painted, I plan on Cynder and these guys. Unless the undead gunfighters and bandits come out before then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kind of goes without saying, but be sure to go through Cool Stuff Inc or Miniature Market so you pay 2/3 the price. They are all available except for the preview alt character minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the bandits in Frontier Town are a nice addition, and a good deal considering the rest of the expansion for around $35 online.

Masters of the Void are good too- with the void hounds also, and Trederran Raiders can show up in any Other World with threat cards for all, though they are "assault" enemies more than purely ranged- they will close up to adjacency almost all the time and hit like the usual mobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
This is a great topic. I too am looking at expanding and curious how folks feel about the value/ cool factor of different sets. In my case wave 1.5 is coming soon, but there are more and more wave 2 sets along with pure retail ones showing up. I have the two core sets now, but would love to get some ranged enemies, alternate bosses, maybe more mine enemies, etc.

Basically, how are folks feeling about different content post core sets? Are there clear "must haves" or "maybe some days"? What make the set or units feel this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
It's important to note that the Trederran Raiders and Trun Hunters are "assault" ranged enemies, which means they fire at range and then close for melee.

Different than the "shootout" ranged enemies like the bandits in Frontier Town, etc, which try to stay at range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Southern
England
Widnes
flag msg tools
mb
I think the three deluxe enemy packs and the frontier town add the best enemy variation. All provide range [importantly with 'Shootout'. Which, unlike 'Assualt' has the enemy models backing away from you and engaging you at range].

In addition to enemies with shootout, you get;

Frontier Town - Infamous Bandit Gangs. Which has them all fighting in slightly different ways.

Scafford Gang - Hideous Mutations and Lieutenants. This provides some fun little leaders for the gang which can often boost other Scafford Gang members. The mutations give certain gang members a wide range of different abilities.

Serpentmen - Serpentmen Magic, Tribes and Juju Trinkets. Like the different bandit gangs, the tribes give your serpentmen different abilities. The shaman can have different trinkets that effect how he works and he has his own magic deck.

Masters of the Void - Void Magik. This deck of cards gives the Void Sorcerers a range of offensive abilities in addition to the ability to buff other enemy models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am considering getting one of either Void Masters or Serpent-men as an impulse buy as I still await KS rewards. If I WERE to double up on one of those two (eventually) which might someone recommend getting now knowing it would enhance play as my only shootout ranged enemy? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaplin717 wrote:
I am considering getting one of either Void Masters or Serpent-men as an impulse buy as I still await KS rewards. If I WERE to double up on one of those two (eventually) which might someone recommend getting now knowing it would enhance play as my only shootout ranged enemy? Why?

Not a bad idea to have doubles of the serpent men as they have 6 different tribes they could be from. I have seen people say they have got 6 sets of these guys and painted each set in the different tribes colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stackhouse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
While I do love the serpentmen my vote has to go towards the bandits from frontier town. We have a lot more human themed enemies in our games by modifying the bandits and then adding some custom mobs as well as some of the player made ones like paddirn's thugs, henchmen and lackeys.

We use a custom roll mechanic instead of threat cards for most encounters and this allows us to weight certain adventures more towards the theme. ( simply a D20 with most threat cards represented with 18-20 being "whatever the mission theme is"

The real reason I vote for frontier town is because at twice the price of the serpentmen or other deluxe packs you get so much more. The towns, missions and map alone are really cool and have led to many custom adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.