World War II: Barbarossa 1941» Forums » General

Subject: How Many Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
According to this website there is the core game Barbarossa and the Danube expansion but when I look in various places on the internet I see that the same company is releasing others covering battle for Moscow and Stalingrad etc. Since the packages have no great description other than stating it's a historical game, just want to find out if there is only 2 actual games so far or indeed more?

Also any opinions about how it plays compared to similar WWII miniatures games much appreciated as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There,

I was very enthusiastic to obtain the base game and the Danube expansion. There is a tanks only expansion which I don't own but all of the tanks can be obtained individually and the box contains both the model and the unit card.

The amount of choices for a unit are substantial and can simulate almost anything that you think you could do with a unit on a battlefield. In terms of strategy, it is very interesting.

The units are not to scale so that is a detractor for some but not for me. The challenge that I face is the difficulty in game space when you are dry marking your actions on each unit card then flipping it over for unit status. I find it a bit cumbersome.

The designer passed away and I fear that there will be no further expansions. I don't really see any developments on the Zvezda site.

In terms of similarities to other miniatures games I see it as being more strategic than Bolt Action and much more complex than entry level games such as Memoir 44 or Tide of Iron.

The miniatures look absolutely amazing once painted. I am very proud of my multiple sets but don't get the opportunity to play it a lot. It is miserable to transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback and the designer's passing may well explain the low key advertising that the game seems to have.

I may well give the game a go anyway, as I've noticed it does tend to be a bit cheaper than comparison games and given the fact that Zvezda make the models there is always going to a be plenty of stuff you can buy if you want to create your own epic scenarios etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Borkel en Schaft
flag msg tools
Hi,
All the games are on this site, but -as the admins made me aware- only the Danube set is an expansion. The others are stand alone games but can be played together with the base set. You can check the other games here. They had to be listed as ' integrates with'.
Check the forums for info and reviews about the games. JDarlington made some great posts.
Greetings Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for this confirmation and it makes everything clearer and will check out the member that you mentioned as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.