9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The value of weapons on some characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some characters have abilities requiring them to make attacks with their weapon. E.g. Gideon (Hammer and Anvil), MHD-19 (Field Surgeon; Combat Override), Murne Rin (Lead from the Front.) But I would be expecting those characters to be making fewer weapon attacks than others such as Mak.

Are those abilities weakened because of this? Why would you pay for an expensive gun on MHD-19 or Murne Rin for example when you only expect it to be used half as much as another character? Or have the abilities been balanced with this in mind?

It seems like buying those abilities and then the weapon(+) to make them effective seems like shooting yourself in the foot (credit-wise.)

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cn Decius Africanus
Canada
Welland
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You do not really need to spend credits on weapons meant just for these characters. You are more than likely going to upgrade your main fighters with weapons first. Later, when you can upgrade them with even better weapons, hand off the lower tech items to the support characters.

For example, I've been playing with Diala, Gaarkhan, Fenn and Gideon. I lucked out and managed to upgrade Fenn with the E-11 rifle right away. Later when the tech II items came out, I managed to get a T-21 for Fenn, then gave the E-11 to Gideon. If I get a tech III weapon for Fenn, I'll give the T-21 to Gideon. I do not usually have Gideon attacking as it is not his main strength, so giving him Fenn's leftovers is a cheap way to boost Gideon's attack on the rare time he does.

I would say to focus on upgrading the weapons on your main fighters, and pass their unneeded tech I/II weapons on to the support characters as required. Tech III weapons are not really needed to make these characters abilities useful. Look at Gideon's ability, Hammer and Anvil. The Imperial player chooses the order of attacks and would most likely choose a weaker Gideon to go second (and unblocked), as compared to an upgraded Fenn for example. A tech I/II weapon that can not be blocked is just as good as a Tech III weapon the Imperial can roll to block against, really. In a situation like this, any damage is good damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Handing down weapons is what we've done in the past and that worked for Gideon.

But looking at Murne's "Lead from the Front", it's kind of expecting her to go early in the turn and having your best damage dealers go first is usually the right move. Hence my thought that her having a hand-me-down may not cut it since you don't want her activation to fail to defeat the target figures.

For MHD-19, if you are going to take 3 damage to attack 3 times with the 4xp Combat Override, why would you bother getting that ability if your damage is going to be mediocre? Same for his Field Surgeon ability.

When comparing Mak's No Escape with MHD-19's Combat Override, the latter's 3 attack ability seems like a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, heroes can usually be developed in different ways. If you build Murne or MHD to be damage dealers, then yes you need to get them good weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Voss
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I always pictured abilities like Hammer & Anvil to be particularly useful if you play with 2 or maybe even 3 heroes. A support character doesn't have much to support if there's only one other character. Still, with a decent weapon and an ability like H&A, Gideon can deal solid damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Naturally if you give any character a better weapon they do better damage. My question was more about the trade-offs involved in doing so.

Does Gideon "Command" and give up his 3-dice Pulse Cannnon attack?
Does MHD-19 attack to use "Field Surgeon" and give up "Ready for Service"?
Does Murne Rin bother using "False Orders" when her own attack is more powerful?

A weapon-oriented build-path with these characters seems to lack any synergy yet some of their abilities look dependent on having a decent weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lathuvan wrote:
I always pictured abilities like Hammer & Anvil to be particularly useful if you play with 2 or maybe even 3 heroes. A support character doesn't have much to support if there's only one other character. Still, with a decent weapon and an ability like H&A, Gideon can deal solid damage.

Rereading your reply I see your point now. Would you be picking a "support" chsracter in that situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Voss
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I wouldn't choose a support character without such an ability

Tbh, I've never played a two hero campaign, so it's hard to say what I might do or not do. I do know there's a Lead From The Front Murne in one of the PBF games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lathuvan wrote:
I do know there's a Lead From The Front Murne in one of the PBF games though.

And she's crushing it! She has enough abilities that have nothing to do with false orders, but you have to be dedicated to that build.

The weird thing about Murne is that her figurehead ability encourages her to be in the line of fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.