Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems like there may be three basic paths to GLORY / Victory in the campaign of this game: Exploration, Building your Settlement and Piracy. Are there other major goals in the game? Is there a Peacemaker route or a Protect the Indigenous Peoples route or an All Out War route or a Trade Monopoly route or....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a Spanish Armada (controlling the seas) path, or...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
So it seems like there may be three basic paths to GLORY / Victory in the campaign of this game: Exploration, Building your Settlement and Piracy. Are there other major goals in the game? Is there a Peacemaker route or a Protect the Indigenous Peoples route or an All Out War route or a Trade Monopoly route or....?

Any successful raid is worth 1 glory (against islands or provinces). You may have meant this to be included in "piracy", but an "all-out war" concept would earn 1 glory per successful raid. (But keep in mind the enmity rules!)

Any ship upgrade is worth 1 glory, so it's not just your settlement.
Treasures are worth glory, so this might fall into a "trade" strategy: buying goods cheap, then selling expensive to fund treasures, or using trade-in value.

Milestones are a significant source of glory; the ones we've seen so far reward success in the discussed areas (explore or raid a difficult site, build three structures, buy multiple treasures).

So far, we have seen nothing to indicate any reward specifically built around peace ... though enmity costs you, so there is a benefit to not having enmity. The guy who robs the wood-producing natives blind will get some free wood ... then be largely unable to buy or raid any more wood, possibly for the rest of the game. Meanwhile the peaceful trader can continue trading peacefully with those natives at no penalty.

Beyond that, who knows what will change when we start unlocking those boxes...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot the Renowned advisors. There's one for each action, which allows you to potentially gain (extra) glory for whatever action you do, including trade (which isn't inherently glorious on its own).

Some of them appear to be more difficult to use than others. The Renowned Trader and Builder just want you to sell or build stuff. Ok! The Renowned Explorer and Soldier want you to explore or raid stuff. Without taking any damage. And as exploration or raids occur, the difficulty effectively goes up. So there's that.

I hear that if you raid a difficulty 30 site without taking damage, you find cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
My guess is that there is one primary path to overall campaign victory, and that is to be adept at figuring out when to use all of those different approaches best and doing all of them at different times.

I'd guess that people who don't do all of explore, create an empire and undertake a bit of piracy, at different times, might have a harder time winning than someone who does all three when it suits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Becq and Ben! Yeah, I'm sure that victory (along with fully enjoying the game experience) tastes best as a mixed platter! *grin*

Sounds like the "treasure" may indeed provide a fourth path to victory. (merchant more than trading perhaps) Cool.

So, the Advisors and the Milestones are asterisks to the other paths. Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, statues definitely. Traders is about making the means to buy treasures which are worth glory. So every guild has a path to success.

And all four have an element of risk.

With explorers and soldier, you have to trust the dice and risk your ship to get glory, but once you have it, it's yours to keep.

With trading and building, there's no risk in how you earn glory. Success is guaranteed when you have the means. But you have to defend your province or lose this glory to raids, as other players pillage and burn.

I am so excited d for this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Treasures combined with a couple choice buildings to bolster garrison and buying power would be a pretty good route.

Worth noting that you can only buy a treasure once a round, and it sounds like the game is about 15 rounds, so making sure that flow of money is good is definitely important. As Becq pointed out in another thread, using goods for their discounts instead of selling them may actually be more lucrative if you aren't getting a lot of buy/sell bonuses. So the merchant/treasure path to glory could work well if you snap up all the goods each round. Grab a buy bonus early, get goods for cheap and turn them into treasure discounts for easy glory.

Also, the treasure room does have the highest plunder value on it, so it's reasonably secure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
kpishnery wrote:
Also, the treasure room does have the highest plunder value on it, so it's reasonably secure.

True. But I have a strong suspicion that one of the types of items we will be able to carry on our ships are treasures worth even more glory, likely found or produced on remote islands, and you will need to safely deliver them to your province capital to get the glory. That's when things will get...interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
kpishnery wrote:

True. But I have a strong suspicion that one of the types of items we will be able to carry on our ships are treasures worth even more glory, likely found or produced on remote islands, and you will need to safely deliver them to your province capital to get the glory. That's when things will get...interesting.

Excellent point I had somehow missed thinking about, but I'd say you are probably right. In fact, I'd bet on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.