Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I’ve owned both expansions for quite some time, and even used some of the extra stuff from Sudden Death, like contracts, for instance.
But since every game I’ve played has seen at least one new player I felt that it would’ve been wrong to introduce any of the new teams. This time though, all three players present had played at least two games before!

One player quickly grabbed the Chaos Dwarves, my brother went for the Goblins, while I took the Undead, who had always been a favourite of mine in the boardgame version.

My initial focuses were Fans and Star Players, and both opposing players kindly let me take the side of the matchups I wanted. With some effective Sprinting, coupled with a few lucky dice rolls, I won one matchup, while tying one. I also tied for the Dungeon Bowl. And then lost both ties because the opposition controlled the ball.
Still, I had managed to secure a group of potent Star Players.

For the second round, I kept going for Fans, but changed my second focus to Team Upgrades. Again, the sides of the matchups that I wanted were kindly left open, and this time I did not have any annoying draws.
After the second Score Phase, I had two cards that allowed me to increase my chances for Resurrection, and one card that gave me fans if I successfully resurrected a player.

With the Goblins gaining new Fans at the same rate as my Undead, I now focused almost exclusively on this, and with the Sepulcher adding his ability to generate new Fans to that of the Mummy, I was quite successful.
With the Spike Magazine Trophy appearing in the fourth round, the other players let me take one matchup with a single Skeleton. This of course meant I was still competing elsewhere, and was able to pull ahead in Fans and still secure more Star Players and a Team Upgrade.

As the Blood Bowl came around, I felt comfortable that my team would be able to keep ahead. The Goblins did pull of an amazing finish though, winning the big one and thus gaining a staggering seven Fans, for a total of 35.
I did a last second gamble, going for leftover matchups, and was able to find a few Staff Upgrades that gave Fans at the end of the game. More specifically, I gained five Fans from this, for a total of 39!

I think all three players made a number of mistakes because we were unable to survey all the possibilities from the cards we had in play. I’m pretty sure I could’ve scored at least three more Fans if I had remembered all available combinations.

First impression, Undead:
Fairly straight forward, quite powerful. A bit swing though, with some added dice rolling due to Resurrection. I was admittedly lucky in this game.

First impression, Goblins:
Looked like fun to play, with some chaotic abilities and the power to get extra players onto matchups. Probably very good if you can get the timing right for those chaotic abilities.

First impression, Chaos Dwarves:
Like the Undead, fairly straightforward and powerful, with a lot of staying power. And that’s a bit odd, since all of their Team Upgrades focus on them being downed, but they have a bunch of abilities that keep them standing. Not sure how that’s supposed to work out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Chaos dwarves seem pretty weak overall. It could be as you pointed out, they tend to stay up but their abilities want them downed. Or the other two are just so much stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.