Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first solo game and I want to make sure I have the following sequence of events correct:

At the end of the turn I am surfing and in zone 1.

Phase 1: Advance/Play - Advancing the wave I'm on pushes me up on shore. I do not play a card. I may spend any number of Stoke tokens to buy Stoke cards, but I may not use them for the remainder of this turn. I may or may not switch boards. I move over to the break section a get ready to head out for my next run.

Phase 2: Resolve - I did not play a card so there is nothing to resolve.

Phase 3: Wave/Score - Flip over the next wave card. Important as a timer, but nothing else happens as I am not surfing. I score my collected cards and tokens from my last run.

Next turn.

Phase 1: Advance/Play - Advance the waves. Play a card. (Which, just to be really thorough, could either be played to Paddle Out or to Wait. There really are no other valid actions at this point.) From this point outward the most recently purchased Stoke cards could be used.

Thinking this through you will have a similar sequence if you bail. Basically you will "loose" a turn between runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I just played my first solo game and I want to make sure I have the following sequence of events correct:

At the end of the turn I am surfing and in zone 1.

Phase 1: Advance/Play - Advancing the wave I'm on pushes me up on shore. I do not play a card. I may spend any number of Stoke tokens to buy Stoke cards, but I may not use them for the remainder of this turn. I may or may not switch boards. I move over to the break section a get ready to head out for my next run.

Phase 2: Resolve - I did not play a card so there is nothing to resolve.

Phase 3: Wave/Score - Flip over the next wave card. Important as a timer, but nothing else happens as I am not surfing. I score my collected cards and tokens from my last run.

Next turn.

Phase 1: Advance/Play - Advance the waves. Play a card. (Which, just to be really thorough, could either be played to Paddle Out or to Wait. There really are no other valid actions at this point.) From this point outward the most recently purchased Stoke cards could be used.

Thinking this through you will have a similar sequence if you bail. Basically you will "loose" a turn between runs.

Hey Scott!

This is close, but it's incorrect.

So the relevant passage is Pg9 of the rulebook:

"Ending riding a Wave
There are three ways to stop riding a wave, each of which requires a different
resolution:

• Ride to shore: If you maintain your balance after the wave card is resolved and your surfer is on the “1” space of the break, you have ridden to shore! Move your surfer/surfboard onto shore. Record your score (remember the shore bonus 2 points).

• Bail: If you bailed this round your surfer is in the wash standing on the surfboard. Move your surfer onto the adjacent space in the channel and lay your surfer down on the surfboard. Record your score."

So basically in the situation described, you shouldn't ever end your turn in Zone 1 when riding the wave, unless you wipe-out. So you don't 'lose' a turn if you bail, or ride to shore - only if you wipe-out.

Does that make sense?

Thanks Scott!! -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Cody! I missed that bit on the second read through. The down time was frustrating and I only was able to complete four (what I thought were pretty average) runs. Seemed like I ought to be able to do more.

Also, if I'm reading this right, you can really only buy Stoke cards if you ride all the way to shore. Although, I suppose if you bail you could always Paddle In to shore . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I believe the rules say you always have to play a card, even if it is just to play one or more cards to discard them.

spbtc wrote:

Phase 1: Advance/Play - Advancing the wave I'm on pushes me up on shore. I do not play a card.

You do have to be at the Shore in order to buy Stoke cards and you can get there by Wiping Out, Paddling in, or Riding in to Shore. Whether or not to Bail or Ride to Shore is a strategic move on whether or not you need to quickly get back out in the channel to catch another wave or you can afford to take your time in order to get the bonus points from coming to shore along with everything else your ride might get you. Even wiping out can get you to shore relatively quickly and it gets you another Stoke token. I think the balance is learned only through repeated plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
Also, I believe the rules say you always have to play a card, even it is just to play one or more cards to discard them.

spbtc wrote:

Phase 1: Advance/Play - Advancing the wave I'm on pushes me up on shore. I do not play a card.

You do have to be at the Shore in order to buy Stoke cards and you can get there by Wiping Out, Paddling in, or Riding in to Shore. Whether or not to Bail or Ride to Shore is a strategic move on whether or not you need to quickly get back out in the channel to catch another wave or you can afford to take your time in order to get the bonus points from coming to shore along with everything else your ride might get you. Even wiping out can get you to shore relatively quickly and it gets you another Stoke token. I think the balance is learned only through repeated plays.

Yes, - you can get to shore those 3 ways - once at shore you can purchase Stoke Cards

(I try to not comment too much on strategy, as my favorite thing about a new game is discovering strategy myself! ) So good luck riding!!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.