Subject: Strategy Tips to help balance if you have played fewer games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve now played 7 games and have found that the learning curve for this game is surprisingly steep at the start. This makes it difficult for someone who has not played as both sides to be competitive against someone who has. It’s a shame as it’s such a fantastic game.

So the purpose of this strategy guide is to give someone with little or no prior experience a boost if they end up playing someone who has played before.

I’ve split it into two parts. Firstly just a general idea about starting moves so you don’t screw yourself turn 1 and some basis tips. The second part goes into deeper strategy in case you feel you need it.

Rebel Tips & turn 1
Put your base at least 2 moves away from any imperial fleets. If you ignore this at least avoid juicy systems such as Mon Calamari, Ord Mantell or Corellia.

Put the speeders in your base and everything else as a fleet 2 spaces away from any big imperial fleets.

First turn I suggest using any card that gives you ships on the turn track e.g. The Mon Mothma special card. Also play the ‘Inspire Loyalty’ somewhere the imperials can’t immediately take it from you. Consider ‘Sabotage’ but read my comments about capture.

The imperials have a mission card to capture a rebel agent. They have this every turn but it has a flaw. It only works in systems with imperial troops. So if they have put a leader on capture (1+ red symbols) and you just avoid sending any leader to a system with rebel troops their card is wasted. If they never capture anyone you’re stopping one of there big advantages as well as nullify several other cards (A few must be used on a captive).

Don’t put more than 7 units on the rebel base as it makes there probe card too effective.

Build the structure that gives combat cards first. I’ve house ruled it that only one of each type of structure can be used so no 3 cards per turn for having 3 shield generators.

The card to kill a death star is a level 2 mission so push to infiltrate to get to it early if needed as blowing it up gives 2 mission points and as a bonus results in a big grin for the rebel player.

Also remember if you do a mission on an imperial system if they oppose it with a leader than they can’t move a fleet out of that system. So use this to slow there spread out into the galaxy.

Imperial Tips & turn 1
First turn do as many fleet moves as possible. Move onto any rebel systems you can reach to subjugate. 4 fleet moves is not a bad first turn, 2 probably is. Consider the card that removes sabotage if you think they’ve picked a sabotage card. Even if they haven’t you’ll get to draw 2 and keep 1 special project.

When you move the fleet always leave behind 1 trooper and 1 tie fighter on subjugated planets.

When you get special projects ignore the second death star. Go for super laser, super star destroyer and the build factory in that order.

If they put 8+ units in the rebel base then use the mission that gets you probe cards.

They place first so if you see lots of missions and have the right cards consider a capture + mission on captured leader double whammy. Nothing feels better than doing a capture and following it up with a lure of the dark side. Remember that all leader icons in a system count so a great strategy is: move a fleet to a location with a rebel leader using a leader with red icons, then do a capture combining red icons from both leaders (the fleet mover and the leader doing the capture mission) and then finish with a carbonite or lure of the dark side with a third leader meaning you get the icons from three leaders.

Ok so the above will even the odds. Below is more in depth strategy.

Rebel Strategy
1) Maintain income. If you gain nothing but your rebel space units you are screwed unless you get lucky. Try to get loyalty around your fleet and build it up. Fighters can move without transports so you can place them next to your fleets system.
2) Do not spend cards that place units and start a battle unless it gives you a mission point. Drop some sabotage cards (if possible time it so they use all there leaders first)
3) Don’t let your leaders be captured easily. The capture is on a system with imperial troops so sabotage leaders are a common victim. Red hands work against it. If you are sure they have a capture card just do things that mean it never happens.
4) Read up on imperial strategy and figure out how to stop it. In many ways the imperials set the tone for the game and the rebels just find a way to hang on till they win.
5) Remember that the imperials must destroy all units on the rebel base to win so late game don’t just put in ground troops in case they play planetary assault. Also watch for the assignment mission that puts 4 tie fighters anywhere on the board.
6) Remember subjugated systems with rebel loyalty still count for rebel mission cards so don’t stop inspiring loyalty.
7) Finally the death star is a worry at the start of the game but at the end it is a liability. If you destroy it and get 2 mission points you are likely to take the win.

Imperial Strategy
There are four tactics to focus upon and for success I’d focus on two of them.

Economic domination & spreading out
This is the most basic and often most effective tactic. Constantly subtugate all enemy worlds starvng them of resources. First turn you must move fleets to Rebel held bases. Hold back the emporer to stop ‘build alliance’. Especially concentrate on blue square worlds since they provide calamari cruisers. Benefits include stopping mission cards, moving the rebel base is more likely to find no good locations and obviously a greater income.

Probe Cards
This works best if your enemy decides to load the rebel base with units. As soon as there are 8 units there the probe droid mission card gets you two cards. That same leader moving a fleet only checks a single location. But this works again the first tactic as taking more systems makes it more likely to draw probe cards you already have.

Stopping missions
The rebels can’t wait for turn 14 barring amazing strategy on there part they need to get at least six mission points to win. So stop them getting missions. A single mission point stopped means an entire extra turn at the end. This could mean eight leaders ticking off possible rebel base locations. As soon as a sabotage marker appears next turn take the mission that removes it and gives you a special project. The death star is good turn 1-4 then it becomes a liability. By turn 5 keep it out of harms way. Watch for them trying to make an entire sector rebel. Turn 4+ make sure corusant is protected by both ships and ground units.

Searching the primary locations

You can’t win without finding the base but luckily you have human nature to help. Expect the Rebel base to be 2 moves away from all your main fleets. There are also certain popular locations: Dantooine, Ilum, Tatooine, Ryloth, Hoth and Endor. Also if you start to see the relocate base mission then you are likely one move away. Just ensure all fleets move to towards these locations each turn and take them leaving a unit behind. I suggest 1 trooper and tie fighter.

The easiest strategy is ‘Economic domination & spreading out’ + ‘Stopping missions‘.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Strategy Tips to help balance if you have played less games
Quote:
Put the speeders in your base and everything else as a fleet 2 spaces away from any big imperial fleets.

I disagree strongly on this one. This is an acceptable fallback if you absolutely can't find something useful to do, but usually you can.

Ideally, set your on-board fleet and - depending on situation - perhaps ground forces as well up to ATTACK as the very first action of the game. If you have a relevant Objective, great, but if not, try to hit something that will give the Empire a major headache. You have enough ships to roll 3 red and 3 black in combat, so you should be able to win one somewhere. Take out their transport and keep them from advancing in an area where they have a tenuous foothold, or send in enough ground forces to take out what they were planning to use and then retreat the ships after the first round. In the latter case, you'll want the speeders for that. You don't really need defense on the Rebel Base YET anyway, and as long as you make sure you get an orange circle planet that produces speeders (this is probably the most easily overlooked Rebel necessity), you'll be fine by the time it matters.

I also don't agree that two fleet moves on the first turn for the Imperials is a *bad* turn, but for a beginner it may be better to go with more. Getting production up early is important, and often that requires both a Rule by Fear (or other diplo mission) and an R&D to clear Sabotage.

Nice article overall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I agree with the last post. The rebels should look for a first move strike.

A basic rebel first turn: Dodonna in the leader pool to lead the first turn attack, Mon Mothma on Build Alliance, Reiken on Rapid Mobilization to pull the attacking units to safety at the end of the turn, and Leia on Gather Intel.

Rebel first turn: Dodonna attacks, Reiken RM, Mon Mothma BA, and Leia GI or passes if Vader is on a mission card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Strategery21 wrote:

A basic rebel first turn: Dodonna in the leader pool to lead the first turn attack, Mon Mothma on Build Alliance, Reiken on Rapid Mobilization to pull the attacking units to safety at the end of the turn, and Leia on Gather Intel.

You can't use Rapid Mobilization to move forces that are with a Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Amaranth wrote:
Strategery21 wrote:

You can't use Rapid Mobilization to move forces that are with a Leader.

Thanks. Been playing that wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fewer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Quote:

I disagree strongly on this one. This is an acceptable fallback if you absolutely can't find something useful to do, but usually you can.

Ideally, set your on-board fleet and - depending on situation - perhaps ground forces as well up to ATTACK as the very first action of the game. If you have a relevant Objective, great, but if not, try to hit something that will give the Empire a major headache. You have enough ships to roll 3 red and 3 black in combat, so you should be able to win one somewhere. Take out their transport and keep them from advancing in an area where they have a tenuous foothold, or send in enough ground forces to take out what they were planning to use and then retreat the ships after the first round. In the latter case, you'll want the speeders for that. You don't really need defense on the Rebel Base YET anyway, and as long as you make sure you get an orange circle planet that produces speeders (this is probably the most easily overlooked Rebel necessity), you'll be fine by the time it matters.

I also don't agree that two fleet moves on the first turn for the Imperials is a *bad* turn, but for a beginner it may be better to go with more. Getting production up early is important, and often that requires both a Rule by Fear (or other diplo mission) and an R&D to clear Sabotage.

Nice article overall!

Hi Thanks for the feedback. I'll explain my reasoning through remember this is aimed for a beginner playing against an experienced player.

As an Imperial player if the rebels attack turn 1 I'm generally very happy. As I want to trade ships since I have such a larger income. As the rebels I made the mistake of attacking turn 1 and it was the first of a few mistakes that cost me the game. I prefer to build that force until it has 5 red and 5 black and forces the Imperials to keep there fleets concentrated.

The reason for speeders at the base is that towards the end of the game I like the base to be full of all the speeders and no troops. This seriously reduces the effectiveness of attacking ground troops since they roll blacks but need reds. I'm also always trying to keep troop numbers down. So my perfect mid game rebel base setup would be 1 shield generator, 5 speeders and 1 Corellian Corvette with a couple of Mon calamri cruisers and some fighters sat on level 1 deploy space.

This means it's nearly impossible for the Imperials to stumble on it and win a ground war that turn. Also remember that you don't have to place units from the deploy queue. It's a rule sometimes missed.

As for getting lots more speeders or ships against a good Imperial player I expect them to take all 3 blue square systems and limit me to 2-3 systems max all game.

Concerning the Imperial 2 moves being enough. The issue with rule by fear is it seems good. You upgrade Corelia from subjugated to loyal and get a star destroyer on the build queue and later I would do this. But that leader could also deny the rebels 1 system of income.

Normally late game the Imperials have 5-6 big fleets searching for the base. They find it, the rebels hold a turn (or more) and then flee and the Imperials hope to have enough probe cards to accurately guess the new location and move there. But this means they maintain 5-6 fleets against a single Rebel fleet. If I let the Rebels get a speeder then I need to build 5-6 AT-ST's to compensate since I need 1 per fleet as I don't know which fleet will find the base.

In one game I allowed the rebels to get 6 speeders and 3 shield generators onto there base (A reason for the house rule that only 1 shield generator should count). When I found it with my biggest fleet I still did not have enough troops to take it. Planetary assault mission I had saved did little and they won since my 2 closest fleets where 2 turns away.

So cut rebel income before increasing your own income as the Imperials. And the best way is fleet moves to take their systems.

That's my view but feel free to disagree as your experiences might vary from mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
fewer

It's too late to update the subject Stannis but you get a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrew_zz wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
fewer

It's too late to update the subject Stannis but you get a

It is never too late, just edit the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elihu Feustel
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Strategery21 wrote:

Rebel first turn: Dodonna attacks, Reiken RM, Mon Mothma BA, and Leia GI or passes if Vader is on a mission card.

Reiken won't be able to pull them to safety. If that stack attacked, they will have a leader in the stack, and can't move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you move the fleet always leave behind 1 trooper and 1 tie fighter on subjugated planets.

Why the tie fighter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
If the Rebels use Incite Uprising to clear the ground forces the TIE will still blockade the system if it is Rebel loyal.

Also for a beginner I would agree with placing two speeders in the base. If the Rebel player is not cautious enough a savvy Imperial player can find ways to ground troopers and speeders if the Rebel player leaves his starting fleet too exposed. They should leave an X-wing at the base as well.

The thing I can't say enough to a beginner Imperial player is not to get caught up in attempting and opposing missions left and right. Only experience will allow a player to take a measured call on opposing a critical mission or knowing when to Rule by Fear and to Gather Intel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
If the Rebels use Incite Uprising to clear the ground forces the TIE will still blockade the system if it is Rebel loyal.

That makes sense - hadn't thought of it! I don't think there's much incentive in subjugated systems without Rebel loyalty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Maule
msg tools
Darth Coupon wrote:

Also for a beginner I would agree with placing two speeders in the base. If the Rebel player is not cautious enough a savvy Imperial player can find ways to ground troopers and speeders if the Rebel player leaves his starting fleet too exposed. They should leave an X-wing at the base as well.

Good advice...Depends a lot on what objectives you think you can achieve and what leaders you get. The two air speeders you start with might be the only ones you can get for a while, so if you want to capture an Imperial system, you'll need them.

Darth Coupon wrote:

The thing I can't say enough to a beginner Imperial player is not to get caught up in attempting and opposing missions left and right. Only experience will allow a player to take a measured call on opposing a critical mission or knowing when to Rule by Fear and to Gather Intel.

You're really correct about this. The Rebel's goal is to push as many distractions at the Imperial player as he possibly can. But, all you really care about as the Imperial player is capturing/destroying the Rebel base. If you can figure that out, everything else falls into place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crimhead wrote:
Quote:

Why the tie fighter?

So if you lose the ground troop it is still unavailable for the rebels to relocate the base there. That is the main reason. Another less important reason is that if they take control they can't build there.

As the imperials it is about reducing options of where the rebel base is, even after they relocate it. If as a rebel I relocate to a planet that the imperials think they conquered I can pull a win from a losing position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:

As a rebel you like empire missions as this stops them spreading out increasing there units and reducing yours.

Concerning 2 speeders in the rebel base this is just that you can build it up. You can easily end up with 4 speeders, 2 troops and a building such that the empire knows where you are but can't get enough troops to win.

But remember this was a beginners guide to even up against those who have played before. By following the guide you can give anyone a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.