Popular Tags: game_search [+] [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you search by community-voted parameters?

For example -- I see you can search for # of players. But, is there a way to search for games the community has voted are "best with 3 players"? Which is better than what the box says, obviously.

(example: putting in "3" players for a search, returns Tichu).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can do the search that you want, getting a best at 3 players recommendation for games that might have a higher player count. The best you can do is set 3 players in one of the two slots, and then sort the results by rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, that will bring up all games that *say* they play 3 (even if we know they don't) - like Tichu, or Up Front ... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I get 3 different search results depending on whether I put 3 players as the minimum, maximum, or exact number of players. But, none of that is really what you want.

You might be able to find a geeklist titled something like "3 player games" and perhaps get closer to what you want there. Otherwise, maybe there is a way to do a fancy google search, and have google reduce the number of choices for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no - I want to sort by games I own ...

It makes no sense that there's data, in a database, that cannot be searched ;(

I guess it's back to Nand's tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, you can filter by games you own, and then sort by rank. Filter is a bit above # of players. If you were at another BGGer's house, you could filter by their collection too.

Also, look at the full address of an advanced search link. At least once before I was able to hack it and manually add a condition the GUI would not let me add.

This is supposedly your collection of 3 player games, but that looks a little big, so you might need to fiddle with it some: https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this tool:

http://bggview.retrobox.eu/view.html?username=your screen name

It will sort either by "plays with 3," "best with 3," allows 3," etc. I like it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Technically, you can filter by games you own, and then sort by rank. Filter is a bit above # of players. If you were at another BGGer's house, you could filter by their collection too.

Also, look at the full address of an advanced search link. At least once before I was able to hack it and manually add a condition the GUI would not let me add.

This is supposedly your collection of 3 player games, but that looks a little big, so you might need to fiddle with it some: https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

Right - well, since Twilight Struggle is on that list, I'm going to say it needs a lot of fiddling

I did find that using the BGG1Tool, I was able to get what I needed - I guess so long as I can get the data some way (even through a 3rd party tool) -- it's okay

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
Try this tool:

http://bggview.retrobox.eu/view.html?username=your screen name

It will sort either by "plays with 3," "best with 3," allows 3," etc. I like it very much.

Could be a coincidence (or the fact that my collection is too big) - but that tool doesn't work for me. I get an error -- BGGAPI timed out.

Edit: Coincidence ... yes, this is a nice tool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.