Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: About to break top 100 and not even available at retail....? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something must be done 'cause that's just madness!

In all seriousness though, most of these votes are based on KS editions, not retail . . . Will rating be the same for masses who buy retail copies without the exclusives?

Edit: There are no exclusives only enhanced components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well the KS reviews will, in general, be higher then the retail version. Chances are the review average will change a bit but should settle in at a pretty reasonable number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is getting raves from 1PG members who have it. Its AI and its components are things of beauty even without the exclusive stuff. I think it will end up with a pretty favorable rating. Even with regular game coins instead of pretty metal coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favorite games haven't been in stores for years. That's not so unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ziobrowski
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind there were different tiers within the Kickstarter, but all those tiers did was increase the quality of the production.

Jamey doesn't have any exclusives within his Kickstarters. All of the same components available in the Collector's Edition will be available to purchase at a slightly higher cost as a perk to Kickstarter backers.

With that said, I have Collector's, played it twice, but recently played a "retail" copy with nice wooden bits and cardboard chit money and it didn't diminish how I felt about the game in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based upon the astonishing rate of ascent of some board games this year (I'm looking at you Pandemic Legacy), I wouldn't at all be surprised if it hits the BGG top 20 in the next 6 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Some of my favorite games haven't been in stores for years. That's not so unusual.

Bit of a difference between being out of stock and never having been in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess more than 10000 KS copies have been delivered, most games published for retail don't have a first print run of that quantity.
TM hat a first print run of 1000 copies, most of them were directly sold at the Essen fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Tracks wrote:
Its AI and its components are things of beauty even without the exclusive stuff.

There aren't any exclusives. Everything can be bought in retail as well, it will only be more expensive there.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1869 wrote:
I guess more than 10000 KS copies have been delivered, most games published for retail don't have a first print run of that quantity.
TM hat a first print run of 1000 copies, most of them were directly sold at the Essen fair.

Yeah, 17,739 backers, and that doesn't even account for multiple copies being bought for friends and such.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, I picked up the Premium Edition, and after a couple plays, this is pretty much my number #1 on my top 10. Its really, really well designed. My only complaint was that I wish the mini's were a little better quality. I get a little nervous popping them out of the plastic and pushing them back in. Also, some of them on their bases, seem a little off and wobble when placed flat. Otherwise, everyone should be playing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Votes from backers will always be way higher. The emotional investment is a big bias.

I have the most fun with Scythe out of all my purchases this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
My only complaint was that I wish the mini's were a little better quality. I get a little nervous popping them out

This looks like a job for PlanoMan!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Trying to be both!
badge
This is supposed to be me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
1869 wrote:

Yeah, 17,739 backers, and that doesn't even account for multiple copies being bought for friends and such.

Bye
Thanee

My collectors edition is number 642 of 11,320.
Edit: And it looks like there are 3430 numbered art editions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely want to play a game over and over and i played this game 5 games in a row over the last couple of weeks. Its beautiful fun deep,epic, and all within two hours it deserves high praise and ranking. I think it deserves to be in the top 10 myself easily. i spend lots of money on games and play alot of games so it wasn't just the investment this game is a benchmark of quality all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's passed that threshold now. #85 overall & #37 strategy as of this posting.

You've already been corrected on the exclusives, so I'll just leave it as noted again.

I seem to recall Jamey mentioning a 20,000 copy print run at some point during the campaign or shortly after. I'm also certain I've read him posting that there is an additional print run coming. There are already a TON of copies in the wild, and soon to be a ton more. Based off the number of backers, it appears 10% have put in a rating.

It will be interesting to see where it ends up, but I have a feeling it won't drop much. The game production is incredible, and the game play is very solid.

As a backer I know I have a bias--but I made the PnP and ran through two sessions before putting in my pledge--then bumped up from the base level to all-in based on further plays & family discussion. I resisted going to a 10 rating...but I did put it at 9, and will keep it there. It's been a while since the financial hit, so that influence is long gone; after getting my copy and playing a couple of times I looked back at my rating & decided to leave it where it is (I was thinking perhaps it was lower & might need to be bumped up).

IMHO, the game deserves the ranking trajectory is it enjoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwell84 wrote:

In all seriousness though, most of these votes are based on KS editions, not retail . . . Will rating be the same for masses who buy retail copies without the exclusives?

I personally rate games based on the game and not based on the components unless they are a hindrance, so it wouldn't change my rating. (but I haven't rated the game yet anyway.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
though, you could take the psychological angle:

The people who have rated the game probably paid more for it than a normal game. This could cause a bias to want to like the game more due to the amount spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwell84 wrote:

Would you mind editing the comment at the top of this thread so people don't read it and think there are exclusives in Scythe? As others have pointed out, it's a pretty big part of the Stonemaier brand that we do not do exclusives. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
mfl134 wrote:
Inkwell84 wrote:

I personally rate games based on the game and not based on the components unless they are a hindrance, so it wouldn't change my rating. (but I haven't rated the game yet anyway.0

I actually think the tactile quality of the components can make a difference in the experience playing a game. With that in mind, the non-exclusive (as everyone else has mentioned) premium components definitely add to the experience of playing Scythe in my mind. The weight of the coins, the double layer indented action mats, etc all are pleasing to the sense of touch, the same way the art is pleasing to the eye.

Would I play a garbage game just because it had high quality components? no. But do high quality components enhance a good game to make it great? definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Inkwell84 wrote:

Would you mind editing the comment at the top of this thread so people don't read it and think there are exclusives in Scythe? As others have pointed out, it's a pretty big part of the Stonemaier brand that we do not do exclusives. Thank you!

Even as a backer for the game, I actually really appreciate this and wish more companies would adopt this mentality. Way less anxiety about game components accidentally getting damaged knowing that it's not going to take months to locate on ebay and a fat wallet to bid on it. e.g. Some of the CMON stuff gets so ridiculous I'm afraid to even bring it to table with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dodd
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, too, that people have already played Scythe that didn't back it (I'm in this camp), as Kickstarter backers have to play with someone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jondodd82 wrote:
Keep in mind, too, that people have already played Scythe that didn't back it (I'm in this camp), as Kickstarter backers have to play with someone!

Yeah, I wonder what the purpose of this whole thread was to begin with.
It may be unusual to break into the Top 100 without retail availability, but given the circumstances it is absolutely understandable, so what's the point of pointing it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Inkwell84 wrote:

Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It may be unusual to break into the Top 100 without retail availability, but given the circumstances it is absolutely understandable, so what's the point of pointing it out?
Because it's awesome. I probably wouldn't have looked at the rating on purpose, like ever, so I wouldn't have really known. So I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.