D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want to feel like Conan. The amoral barbarian of exceptional personal power and incredible force of will. Roaming the world for gold and women and fame and adventure to satisfy his wanderlust and keep his boredom at bay. (Though I suppose in a board game there has to be a end goal... or does there?) What will let me slay my foes, help my friends, and choose who each of those are as I leave all I meet awestruck by my greatness? Does such a game exist? (soloable is huge bonus as I do not have a play group) Did Robert E. Howard secretly make an epic boardgame before his death?

(other genres acceptable, egoistic adventure mandatory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Basically Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well there is Conan set to be released soon, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Talisman and Runebound let you gallivant around busting heads and gathering tools, equipment, and allies. There are a few solo variants that have been designed, but there's also nothing stopping you from just playing the rules as written by yourself, and working your way up to stomping on the final boss.

Note that Runebound just got a 3rd edition release somewhat recently, and I recall seeing that it's been reworked in a way that's not as suitable for solo play (and it's apparently lacking a lot of the character upgrading and encounter variety). Stick with 2nd edition if you can find it, or look at Firefly: The Game, which I'm told is a lot like Runebound in space. I'll likely be getting that one fairly soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Basically Mage Knight.
Yup, or its legendary ancestor Magic Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Basically Mage Knight.

My first thought, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err..Barbarian Prince?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarian Prince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm

Mage knight is good, but nowhere near as free-form. Magic realm lets you set your own victory conditions, attack your "allies" hire natives, cinquer villagers and monsters at your whim.

It is a beast to learn, but nothing else comes close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:

Only if you like dying over and over again within 5-10 moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Mage Knight Board Game might be the answer.

I would not classify it as an "adventure" game though, as there are no storytelling aspects and you are not going on various quests/missions, but trying to reach a scenario-specific long-term goal.

I would probably describe it as an "sandbox skirmish game with roleplaying elements" (skills, levelling up) which is very focussed on combat, since this is - as far as I remember - the only way to gain experience/fame and new character levels.

So far, no other game in my experience makes you really feel the increasing power of your character, because the milestones of levelling up are relatively rare, but very impactful.

It's definitely not a game for everyone though; you really have to like puzzle-y, long and heavy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight does not give the sense of adventure and saving other people however as there are no other people. It is a great game but "adventure" in the classic sense it is not. There are quests only with fan-made expansions, for example, and while those are fun they are not part of the game's core design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Barbarian Prince. https://boardgamegeek.com/video/15035/barbarian-prince/video...

This sounds cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.