Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd share my storage solution for fitting my collection into the base game box:

Small World
Small World: Be Not Afraid...
Small World: Grand Dames of Small World
Small World: Cursed!
Small World: Royal Bonus
Small World: A Spider's Web

Not much space for any future expansions should they exist, but at the moment it all fits perfectly, even including a few encyclopedias printed off of the files section (so my wife can keep track of all the properties!). I threw out all the plastic tile holders and made my own out of foamcore. The races and traits holders are split down the middle so that the base game tiles are all separate for when I only want to play the original game. The race tiles are all in Craftmates Lockables plastic trays that I bought from Michaels. The race tiles fit perfectly into each groove, with the curved fronts ideal for sliding them out of their holders.

I'm happy with how it turned out and the smaller footprint on the shelf, and hope it can be of use to anyone out there thinking of doing the same.

Edit: Here are some pictures of the race token trays I use (Craftmates Lockables, as mentioned above). The tokens fit perfectly inside, even with the lid closed, and the curved front edge allows them to easily be removed. Each section can be opened independently of the others, preventing accidental spillage. They also fit a lot of the other small tokens too (leprechaun coins, round marker, halfling holes, conquest die, etc.). Most races fit in a single section, though the lost tribes and a few others require two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Show us some image of the race token holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Show us some image of the race token holder.

Your wish is my command - I've updated my original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you carry the maps and rule books in a separate box, or did you manage to squeeze it all in there somehow?

Also how do you anchor your foamcore corners? Are you pinning things, or is it just hot glue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, original manual, summary sheets, and the rules for the expansions. I also printed off a few lists of all the races/powers in alphabetical order for ease of reference from the Files section (can't remember which one, but there are many good ones out there). It's a bit redundant to have everything in there, and I'm pretty close to just tossing the original summary sheets and expansion manuals to save a few millimeters of space; I don't always get the box flush depending on how I stack them all in.

For the foamcore, I've never been that sophisticated with it. I use white glue, and I just use my fingers to hold things in place for 30 seconds or so, then let it sit. Sometimes I'll place a heavy book on top to help "clamp" the pieces together, but only if I did a poor cut job and they don't fit perfectly together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.
These are great pictures.
I had seen those race token "pill containers" at the craft store and wondered how they would work if used for my Small World set.
I can't tell you how much I would enjoy a "Big Box" version of this game. Hopefully by the time I wear mine out they will have made one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nolte
United States
La Habra Heights
California
flag msg tools
I use this sucker from Daedalus.

http://www.daedalusproductionsinc.com/product/quick-start-in...

Works beautifully, and it is quite handsome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
It looks like there are a few different sizes of those lockable containers. Do you recall what size you used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarzah wrote:
It looks like there are a few different sizes of those lockable containers. Do you recall what size you used?

https://www.amazon.ca/Craftmates-Lockables-Ultrasuede-Organi...

This is the product I bought - it doesn't specify on this page, but according to Michael's it looks like it's 2XL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
excellent, ty! Looks like a very good storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up the Craftmates Lockables and they work great. Storing with the back-side down, instead of flat, since I'm using 7 containers with one as the coin storage. And, then the remaining pieces are in baggies.

They are a much better storage solution that the inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Parkerson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Your solution is creative and awesome! That being said, I'd love to see a Small World crate from Broken Token that could hold Underground, Realms, and more. If you agree, check out the following thread, and/or head to Broken Token to vote for Small World!

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24683645#24683645

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.