Wok on Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lainie Vansant
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
So, if combinations (with a starch) are scored together, you don't score the individual ingredients on top of that, right? So if I put a Green Pepper in a combination, do I avoid the 5 point penalty?

Thanks!
Lainie m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time last night, and that is how we played it - since the rules state that each card can only be assigned into one combination, it follows that if a card is scored as part of a combo, you don't score any individual points (positive or negative).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason William
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that true for onions as well? If you use them in a combination does that mean you don't count that onion in the total amount of onions collected in order to score your onions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, that's how we played it. My wife had 5 onions, but put 2 of those into combo plates with rice and chicken, so scored 15 points for each of those and then scored a set of 3 onions. The end game scoring section could probably use an example of making combos and scoring a hand to clarify how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Evans
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the majority bonus/penalty get scored no matter what though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think so. Since it isn't a combination, but a bonus/penalty, we didn't apply the 'score in only one combination' rule in that case. We scored them based on the total of each card for each player, regardless of the combination they were being used in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Lefebvre
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
Kicking ass since 2003
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpman78 wrote:
Does the majority bonus/penalty get scored no matter what though?

That's what the rules say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lowmaster
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules aren't very clear. If you can only score a card one time, it would seem you only score penalty for green peppers if it's not in a combo with another card.

Scoring the penalty and the combo it's in would break the rules as stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotarski
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion.

Each card can be scored one time as a part of its set or combo. Then, the majority bonuses are scored after that. After basic scoring return to look at all the cards to figure out who has the most broccoli and the most pork.

Thank for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lowmaster
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a green pepper only scores a negative alone, and in any other way it scores the combo it's in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's how it works. The scoring might be slightly clearer if we change the words "as a part of its set" in Jason's clarification to "as shown in the Ingredients Glossary section of the rules for that card":

jguitarstring wrote:
Each card can be scored one time, either as shown in the Ingredients Glossary section of the rules for that card or in a combo. Then, the majority bonuses are scored after that. After basic scoring return to look at all the cards to figure out who has the most broccoli and the most pork.

So there are two ways to negate the negative points from Green Peppers - either combo them with Chili Peppers or include them in a Rice or Noodles combo. If you don't use them in either of those combos, then you score negative points as indicated in the Ingredients Glossary section of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lowmaster
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjkellyfetti wrote:
I believe that's how it works ...

That seemed to make the most sense as well.

Probably a case of the rules making sense if you already know the rules, but coming at them cold, too much confusion.

I'll assume the rules were posted in the KS project, and it's on me for not reading them and reporting any confusion in time before printing {;0p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.