Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
-Background feel free to skip-
I will admit that I am an obsessive person. When I first got into board games I went a little nuts and picked up a huge collection in a years time. My girlfriend lived 700 miles away and my family and friends were forced to play games with me because they are too nice to say no and because I brought whiskey. This limited me to party games and games that could be explained in three to five minutes like Epic Spell Wars, Bang the Dice Game, Cash n Guns and King of New York. I eventually worked them up to Cosmic Encounter but more complicated games were right out the window. So I played Mage Knight solo, which was fun, but I like board games for the social experience. Needless to say I built the starting decks for Mage Wars and they sat in a box.

My girlfriend finally moved in and we've been exploring games more. I proposed a 31 different game in 31 game challenge and we are taking turns picking games and I finally got Mage Wars out to play. I set up the super awkward half board for the demo game which ended up with half the board two board depths taller than the other half but it worked fine. I got our spell books out, explained the game, explained the spells and such using the demo rulebook as a guide. Great book that introduces things in small easily digestible bites and we were ready to go.

-Session Starts-

She picked the Priestess and I took the Beastmaster, we set our mage cards out and started the game. Here are the highlights as I remember them as I did not take notes during the game. I summoned my staff and a falcon, she summoned her staff and an Asyran Cleric. I of course, not really thinking threw Bear Strength on my falcon as he made his way to attack her mage and she put an enchantment on herself and summoned a Grey Angel. Over the next couple of turns I moved my falcon closer to the killzone, brought out a Razorclaw Grizzly Bear and gave him bear strength, so he could have double bear strength and she brought out Brogan Bloodstone and a hidden enchantment on her mage and the knight. I popped a bobcat out and moved him along with the bear towards her mages zone. My falcon took out her cleric and was quickly ended by the angel. I say the angel ate it but she claims it just trapped it in a pokeball. I saw feathers in her angels mouth so I know the truth. I sent out a Bitterwood fox to a flanking position to the south of her zone just in case. She used her mages enchantment Sacred Ground which gave her Aegis 1 which I did not like. I attacked her knight with my bear after a move and she revealed her knights block enchantment which was disapointing for me. Then I ran my bobcat in with his charge and did a couple of points of damage to her knight. I tried to use Jet stream to push her and her Aegis out of the zone but while it did damage I did not roll well enough for the push to work. In those rounds I had done some decent damage to her and she did a couple to me.

At this point my bear and bobcat are in her zone with her angel, mage and knight with my fox one zone south. I dispelled her Sacred Ground and she dispelled my bear strength on my bear, so he was down to single bear strength which is still a lot of strength but I was sad nonetheless. I started moving my mage towards her zone a this time, moved my bobcat west one zone to prepare for a charge attack next round, she guarded with her knight but my bear attacked her knight anyway, did some damage and got counterattacked for a little damage himself. She was able to use a heal spell on her knight to bring him back almost to full health. Next round I had initiative and used my full action bear attack on her mage and rolled stupid good, knocking her down close to death. Her knight hit my bear, hard but did not kill him and my bobcat rushed in for the killing blow on her mage, again I rolled way better than expected. My fox sat out, he was waiting for her knight to guard so he could throw himself on the vorpal sword, taking one for the team. I did not let him know he was sword fodder, please no one tell him.

-Final thoughts-

These were demo decks with no walls or anything complicated, my bobcat had the defense icon and he managed to dodge an angel attack at some point but everything else was straightforward. I know that with a full board and it taking longer to get to her I would have been facing a whole mess of troops with her archer slowing me down as I moved in. I look forward to playing a full game but I had a blast. She had a blast. It felt like a wizards duel and she is a huge Harry Potter fan so I was calling my guy Hagrid and she was Hermione, fighting in a virtual wizards duel.

This game mashes together so many things I like. I like to build decks, I like having access to all my cards, I like the board movement and tactics, I like how the spells work and I haven't even gotten into spawn points, walls or zone powers. I am teaching it to my nephew tomorrow, well, technically later today and he already called dibs on Warlord. He plays everything aggressively as he is a young teenager and I find myself thinking "Do I augment my mage and try to hit him straight up, do I set up an augmented army of creatures and march across the board or some combination thereof?" We will be playing the apprentice demo rules but I know I will have a good time. She asked if we could all play so I ended up ordering Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination for the three player variant. If the kid likes it I may get to play more than one game later today, cross your fingers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an awesome experience.

Before long you will be an Ambassador and creating these experiences for others to have fun with Mage Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my goal. I just love when a game grabs me from beginning to end. Unfortunately I did not get to play tonight but I see many more games in my future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been a huge hit with me and my boys (10 and 13). Games take a long time, but the game feels worth it. Definitely rewards repeat and frequent play, though. Expect to buy additional spell books, though. We have 8 builds going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played our first session using the Domination ruleset last Friday. It was a 2 vs 2 team game (Druid & Adramelech Warlock vs. Beastmaster & Priestess). The latter team won after getting the better start, capturing two V'tar orbs early, and then basically turtling for the rest of the game.

The bad thing: It took us almost 5 hours to finish!

The good thing: Despite taking so long, everyone enjoyed the game, considered it a superior play mode over standard Mage Wars, and was interested in playing it again.

While I had hoped it would be a bit faster, it wasn't as bad as it may sound, considering it was our first game after over a year (and one player was new to Mage Wars). Also, playing the game in standard mode with two players could take almost as long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.