Hide
11 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion combinations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Popescu
msg tools
Hello! Has anyone tried playing with multiple expansions at once? Could anyone recommend an optimum expansion combination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
All in. meeple

Except for the side boards - use them only when a Prelude card or the current Old One asks for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignas Masilionis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use all the expansions, no dillution feeling, more expansions you drop in better the game becomes. Also what Ron said, no extra boards unless instructed during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game plus Forsaken Lore and another expansion.

With Strange Remnants (?), I'll only use the Mystic Ruins deck with the SR Ancient One.

With Mountains of Madness, I'll only use the Antarctic sideboard with the MoM Elder Thing Ancient One.

Haven't tried out Pyramids yet, but since its sideboard may be useful to get from part of the board to another, I might use it for regular play.

Send me a PM if you have Pyramids, so I can make a post there how to store your games for minimal setup time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that FFG do most of their testing with Base+(N)+(N-1), but that they maintain the overall ratios of some aspects of the game. If that tells you anything useful...

Myself, in contrast to my approach with another game in the same Family, I go all in all the time. I do this for several reasons:
1) theme is generally not diluted because it is largely carried by the AO, or by other themed encounter decks
2) it simplifies storage and setup
3) it prevents the dominance of new mechanisms (such as Poison or Impairments) that get introduced in a new expansion - remember the testing with Base+N+(N-1)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
All in is much less hassle. The extra boards are AO / Prelude dependent as mentioned, and everything else just adds so much more to the game as a whole, that once you've tried it there really is no reason not to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with everything mixed in.

I did play with two sideboards once (played against NephranKa and used the Prelude that brings in the Antartica sideboard) and honestly, it doesn't add much to the experience. I really enjoy the sideboards, but if you bring them both in, it makes you spread yourself far too thin and takes away some of the focus and theme of a single sideboard.

As far as conditions, assets, spells, and all of the encounter decks, just mix it all together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in like everyone else, but I do sort my monsters a bit. Arctic creatures stay with MOM and desert creatures with UTP. Just seems weird for a Giant Penguin to show up in Egypt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I'm all in like everyone else, but I do sort my monsters a bit. Arctic creatures stay with MOM and desert creatures with UTP. Just seems weird for a Giant Penguin to show up in Egypt.
Doesn't it have a Spawn effect that moves it to Antarctica? I quite like EH's spawn effects for maintaining theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
Eldritch Horror is pretty much designed for an "all in" approach, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I include all double-sided, mythos and encounter cards that can be played with the base game into their respective base decks. Cards that are exclusively used with a side board I keep in a separate deck box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.