Subject: Whelp...that was a disappointment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Wolke
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
So I purchased TGW finally. I reviewed all the videos and advice about the minis...and still broke a shit-ton of bayonets, and even some arms off the bombers. There was also some bad injection molding that left blobs of a few infantry men. A great sense of excitement quickly turned to disgust and frustration.

Looks like I will be going the block route as others have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
mbmbmbmbmb
thwaak wrote:
So I purchased TGW finally. I reviewed all the videos and advice about the minis...and still broke a shit-ton of bayonets, and even some arms off the bombers. There was also some bad injection molding that left blobs of a few infantry men. A great sense of excitement quickly turned to disgust and frustration.

Looks like I will be going the block route as others have.

Or counters instead of blocks.

The Great War is Great! The Miniatures? Not So Much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
If even after being made very aware of the potential problems with removing miniatures from the sprue you incur widespread breakages even to the point somehow managing to rip the arms off some of the bombers I'd suggest that at least some of the problems here might be down to you rather than PSC.

The good news is that the blocks are available to download here on BGG and the game itself plays very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy new figures!
There's a lot of them out there: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a sprue cutter which helped immensely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you really need a sprue clipper and I also used a nail clipper. With the two I was very lucky in that nothing broke.

If some of your minis came broken they might replace them for you. I purchased the German Artillery pieces and one sprue had broken figs. I contacted them and they very quickly replaced the sprue - very nice customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with a bunch of stubby-rifled Brits and one-armed potato-masherless German bombers, TGW is still a splendid visual treat once it's set up... especially with the blank hex-grid on the ghastly brown side.

Treat yourself to a couple sessions with the gorgeous display the minis provide before you shift over to the tidy abstraction of the blocks. You may discover you hardly notice the damaged figs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wolke
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
muzfish4 wrote:
If even after being made very aware of the potential problems with removing miniatures from the sprue you incur widespread breakages even to the point somehow managing to rip the arms off some of the bombers I'd suggest that at least some of the problems here might be down to you rather than PSC.

The good news is that the blocks are available to download here on BGG and the game itself plays very well.

Hey! Don't blame the victim!

I will freely admit some of the issues might be me, but in my defense, I own sprue cutters, and have worked with plastic models (cars, ships, tanks, etc) for over 20 years. Bad luck maybe? Not my day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thwaak wrote:

I will freely admit some of the issues might be me, but in my defense, I own sprue cutters, and have worked with plastic models (cars, ships, tanks, etc) for over 20 years. Bad luck maybe? Not my day?

Brent, I had many of the same issues and I've assembled hundreds of models and <actual number redacted for the sake of my marriage> of figures over the years. It's just an unfortunate combination of sprue design and material. I actually got so frustrated I gave up on the game, but Dutch brought his copy by a couple weeks ago and we've had a blast with it. You don't really notice the stubby Enfields or the one-armed paper hangers - the game looks great on the table and plays very well. Hope you give it another shot - if so, good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thwaak wrote:

No blame, here, Brent -- we've all suffered with the super-brittle plastic of these figures!

I'm just saying that if you're the sort of player who enjoys the visual/tactile appeal of miniatures gaming, try not to let the walking wounded figures discourage you from the full set-up. Once you see each squad of four men set up in the trench line, the broken bayonettes will fade from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a second printing I hope PSC revisits the sprue layout for the British infantry.

Even taking my time and trying to be careful I've managed to lose a couple bayonets on each frame ... unfortunate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
Even with a bunch of stubby-rifled Brits and one-armed potato-masherless German bombers, TGW is still a splendid visual treat once it's set up... especially with the blank hex-grid on the ghastly brown side.

Treat yourself to a couple sessions with the gorgeous display the minis provide before you shift over to the tidy abstraction of the blocks. You may discover you hardly notice the damaged figs.

Most definitely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Broad
United Kingdom
Unspecified
cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just used a new modelling knife and broke only one bayonet....not really sure what all the fuss is all about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerald the old master
msg tools
mb
Even though I broke only 3 bayonets one arm and part of a machine gun ,I did pretty well. But, hear it comes the part of my comments you just knew was coming. When so many people are complaining they are NOT wrong about the brittleness of the soldiers. This company has apologized for the problem but like an unfaithful partner they keep going back to the same old ways! The problem must be a mass bulk of 1950's post WW2 hard plastic some head of the company irrationally bought in such large quantities that he thought he cornered the market on the next best thing. Well sorry for the mistake but someone has to shake this company exec or group out of the malaise of a bad publicity for this continuing problem. If not this first endeavor into a board game will surely be it's last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.