Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm» Forums » Variants

Subject: Campaign against the Mech Army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the solo game and would love if it had a campaign. I couldn't find anything so I decided to make my own. I have not played a game yet but here are the rules I plan to use. I'll post on how I played after each game.

Race for the Galaxy - Campaign

Your goal during the campaign is to conquer the galaxy and destroy the Mech Army (bot).
Choose your home world and one for the bot (or select randomly). Your home world is now considered your starting tableau, which can expand during the campaign. Every game, you start with all worlds or developments in your starting stack. The starting tableau of the bot works the same way.

Bot Difficulty
The bot has ten different levels in this campaign:
Level 1: No 6-cost development counters
Level 2: Use 1 6-cost development counter
Level 3: Use 1 9-cost development counter
Level 4: Use 2 6-cost development counters
Level 5: Use 1 6-cost development counter & 1 9-cost development counter
Level 6: Use 2 9-cost development counters
Level 7: Use 3 6-cost development counters
Level 8: Use 2 6-cost development counters & 1 9-cost development counter
Level 9: Use 1 6-cost development counter & 2 9-cost development counters
Level 10: Use 3 9-cost development counters

The bot starts at level 1

Game end
The game end conditions are the same as in the regular game, with one exception. Because you might start with more cards on your tableau at some point, the end game condition for tableau size is now 11 newly built worlds or developments. So make sure you keep your (and the bot’s) starting tableau separate from the game tableau.

Result: Win
At the end of the game you can select upgrades for your empire if you have won, based on the way you have scored points. You can only pick cards for your starting tableau if they are in either your or the bot’s game tableau, depending on the upgrade/action you select.

You can select one of the following upgrades/actions:

Military:
Count the difference in military between you and the bot. You can use the military difference to destroy a permanent development from the bot or to destroy it’s home world. You can also use the difference to buy (conquer) any of the bots worlds except his home world for your starting tableau, so you’ll have them at the start of the next game.

Technology:
Count the difference in points from developments. You can spend the difference on developments you have built during the game you’ve just played. These developments go into your starting tableau.

Economy:
Count the difference in Victory Point chips. You can spend the difference to purchase production worlds (windfall or regular), with the exception of starting worlds. These worlds go into your starting tableau. Windfall worlds in your starting tableau start with a good on them.

Political:
Count the difference in points from worlds. You can use the difference to buy non-production worlds (military or non-military), with the exception of starting worlds.

Beating the bot also causes it’s economy to reset to it’s normal starting point.

Important: The bot’s difficulty will go up a level for the next game. Remember to update the starting tableaus for you and the bot. I put them in separate ziplock bags but you can also write it down somewhere.

Result: Loss
If the bot wins, the bot tries to do the top most of the following actions. If the bot can’t do the action, move down to the next action and so forth. The bot only takes one action.

1. Military:
Count the difference in military between you and the bot. The bot destroys the most expensive upgrade you have on your starting tableau (except your home world) if he can pay for it (so if the military difference is large enough). If your starting tableau consists of just your home world, the bot will destroy it if he can.
2. Economy:
Count the difference in Victory Point chips between you and the bot. If the bot has more VP chips than you, he starts next game with an economy of +1.
3/4. Technology:
Count the difference in points from developments. The bot adds the most expensive development he can buy from hist own game tableau to his starting tableau.
3/4. Political:
Count the difference in points from worlds. The bot adds the most expensive world he can buy from hist own game tableau, with the exception of starting worlds, to his starting tableau.

Action 3 and 4 are interchangeable. If the bot has more starting developments than worlds, pick Political victory over Technology victory.

Important: The bot’s difficulty goes down a level for the next game. Remember to update the starting tableaus for you and the bot. I put them in separate ziplock bags but you can also write it down somewhere.

Destroying home worlds
If you or your bots home world is destroyed, you or they will move to a new one. Remove the destroyed home world from the game (don’t rip it like in a legacy game. Just put it back in the box in a separate ziplock bag) and pick a new starting world for either you or the bot.

Campaign end
The Mech Army is considered to be destroyed after you have destroyed it’s home world for the sixth time. The Mech Army has destroyed your civilization after your home world is destroyed for the third time. Of course, you can choose other numbers if you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to start the campaign with the Old Earth and give the bot Ancient Race, It seemed thematically appropriate.

The bot managed to score 9 points from worlds, 8 from developments and 15 from VP chips for a total of 32 points. It had a military power of +1.

I scored 11 points from worlds, 13 points from developments and 12 points from VP chips for a total of 36 points. I had a military power of +3.

Final Score: 36 v 32.

I can see a problem coming up in the future, with the bot having expensive upgrades and me not having good enough military to destroy these. So even though I could destroy the bot's home world (2 military difference), I decided to buy the Drop Ships (5 technology difference) to permanently increase my military. With the remaining point I bought Investment Credits.

I'll have to see in the future if it is too powerful to buy multiple upgrades, but it's of course very likely that I have to adjust the campaign rules a bit after playing with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick castle
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just started games solo and i really wanted something space related and i have read so many good things about Race for the Galaxy that i just buy it with TGS.

I really like campaigns soo i wanted to know if this settings really work for the game.

Grettings from a newbie in solitaire games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.