Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastiaan Benders
Netherlands
Amersfoort
None
flag msg tools
I am baffled about this.
When you read the card, it says on the hero's tile. So, on the "old" tile!?

You explore a new section of the dungeon and you can find a new monster there. But when you explore a new section of the dungeon you find... a trap on the old section of the dungeon? I don't get it. It makes even less sense than some of the other rules, OR I'm missing something.

Please help!

Cheers :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always place the trap on the current tile my character is on and resolve the trap's effect. Anyone else want to chime in on this to be sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not completely sure I'm understanding the issue.

The Encounter cards for traps state to place the trap "on the active hero's tile." Since encounter cards are pulled after the hero phase (when hero movement is completed), then the trap is placed on the tile on which the active player's hero is currently standing.

From a thematic standpoint, my hero is walking through a darkened dungeon corridor. I stop moving to peer into the darkness and discover a monster down the corridor (represented by adding a new tile and monster). Because I am distracted by the appearance of said monster I don't realize that I have set off a trip wire releasing a hail of arrows or volcanic vent.

Keep in mind that sometimes a trap will be revealed as a result of a tile with a black arrow, placing the trap on the "old tile" or, may be revealed when you move onto an existing tile and don't reveal a new tile at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
^^^ this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Save those Experience points! I rarely experience traps because I do my best to keep 5-10 XP in reserve. I'll take almost any other Encounter rather than lose my last 5 XP and risk traps. They are really a pain and can stick around causing trouble for multiple turns, with only a 50/50 chance of eliminating it while giving up a valuable action.

I think this strategy of neutering traps may be why they changed the mechanic in Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.