Subject: The top renowned designers in the bgg top-260 ranking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Should_be_a_geeklist [+] [View All]
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
To call Sid Sackson a 'one hit wonder' is a bit of a disservice, I would say.

I am not surprised at all to the the Eon boys, some of the most original designs ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
...more than one game ranked in the top-260,...

There is nothing obvious to me about selecting that cut off point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do the values mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious how you view these weightings. For example, you list:

Uwe Rosenberg at 178190
Alan R. Moon at 31213
Bruno Faidutti at 955

Playing with math one might surmise:

Uwe Rosenberg is (178190/31213=) 5.7 times more successful/better/more important than Alan R. Moon.

or

Uwe Rosenberg is (178190/955=) 186.6 times more successful/better/more important than Bruno Faidutti.

I'm inserting words into your mouth, so please excuse me. It's just that I find the wild range in scoring notable, and am wondering what to make of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This and your "Cult of the New" analysis thread are terrific. Thanks for sharing your work.

I'm wondering if these threads would be better served in the 'General Gaming' forum? They are certainly more interesting and enlightening than many similar type of threads that pop up there weekly. Or maybe the admins could move them there?

Thanks in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the actual formula, it's a bit difficult to follow through the objective, could you please post that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Uwe Rosenberg is SQRT(152888/30870) = 2.2 times more renowned than Alan R. Moon.

Thanks for providing your definition of what the product of your calculations are.

I respectfully disagree that renown can be quantitatively determined. In this example, Alan R. Moon is also renown for hosting the annual Gathering of Friends. For us older game players, we may recall him from his development days at Avalon Hill. And while he isn't super active on BGG, his geeklist about his days at Avalon Hill earned him a lot of attention. These non-ratings related activities, and just his tenure in our hobby, surely enhance his renown.

You have obviously given a lot of careful thought about your methodology, and it creates a custom list of designers in the pecking order that makes sense to you. This is your right. No offense intended, I don't understand how to use your list. But I need not! Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
sthrjo wrote:

Bruno Faidutti is a well-known name in the business, but rank-wise he is surprisingly anonymous.

That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous although no one knows for what achievements, because I'm more interested in becoming famous than in achieving anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played mission red planet this weekend.

Really fun and I finished last, imagine if I had done it better. Those cards tricked me at the end.

Great game.

A question, what's the main difference from this new citadels to the others? Just the art?

faidutti wrote:
sthrjo wrote:

Bruno Faidutti is a well-known name in the business, but rank-wise he is surprisingly anonymous.

That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous though no one knows for what achievements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
faidutti wrote:
That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous though no one knows for what achievements.

CITADEEEEEEEELLLLLLS !!!

</EricSummerer>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
How soon until Rob Daviau makes it onto the list? Pandemic Legacy is #1, and I imagine SeaFall will quickly rise through the ranks. He's got three games in the top 260, but I guess he is hurt by being listed as co-author on all of them, and for the relative recency of Pandemic Legacy's release.

Still, it seems odd that the designer of the #1 game isn't on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
ze_stom wrote:
How soon until Rob Daviau makes it onto the list? Pandemic Legacy is #1, and I imagine SeaFall will quickly rise through the ranks. He's got three games in the top 260, but I guess he is hurt by being listed as co-author on all of them, and for the relative recency of Pandemic Legacy's release.

Still, it seems odd that the designer of the #1 game isn't on the list.

Thank you for the suggestion. Now he is! I have changed how I rated the designers of reimplementations. Previously, only Matt Leacock got the points for Pandemic Legacy and Albert Lamorisse for Risk Legacy. After you pointed out the oddity, I included the codesigner of the reimplementation, and intend to do so all over. Much better IMHO.

thumbsup 5th seems a bit more appropriate for the designer of an SdJ nominee. Thanks for making the update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the age adjustment, I'm curious what ratings the designers of Crokinole and Go would have, if we knew who they were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.