Subject: The top renowned designers in the bgg top-260 ranking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Should_be_a_geeklist [+] [View All]
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To rank highly in my listing of designers and designer teams, you should have produced more than one game ranked in the top-260, the higher the better, and the older the better. It is allowed to reimplement your own games into the taste of today. But I don't count those games twice, you may benefit from the old publishing year of the first release, as well as the high rank of the reimplementation release. The you may share the honour with a co-designer, but will not get the whole score in this case, unless you are part of a persistent designer team.
Much to my surprise, the 2:nd place holders are the design team of Dune and Cosmic Encounter! Bill Eberle, Jack Kittredge and Peter Olotka. I personally know nothing about these game or these designers, but the rest of the list is familiar to me. On 1:st place we have Vlaada Chvátil.
After these two, Uwe Rosenberg, Reiner Knizia, Christian T. Petersen and Richard Garfield follows, with games I am familiar with.
The list is dynamic, and I can recalculate it each day with different results depending on the rankings in bgg top-260. The grand movement is probably that Rainer Knizia is losing points to the runners-up.
Beware thatonly some of the one-hit wonders appear in the list! This is why the designers of Eclipse and Acquire show up here, although with only one game.
The number after the designers name and the list of games is calculated by a formula derived from the overall bgg ranking system. I can of course give the details if anyone is interested. But it is scientifically sane and objective, nothing subjective from what I like personally.

This thread is now replaced by a geeklist, "The top renowned designers in the bgg top-260 ranking"

The formula:

By assigning a value to each game in the rank 260 to 1, RoboRally to Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, and add these values to a sum for each designer, some interesting general values can be found. I use the "triangular progression" scale, which is good to achieve a mix of quantity and quality, and deliberately makes events near the top much more important than events near the cut-off value. I start at rank 260 [See note *], currently RoboRally, which get assigned the value '1'. The total sum for Richard Garfield is now '1'. The next game is Belfort, which get assigned the value '3' (not '2'!) according to the triangular progression. This game contributes '3' to its designer. The next game contributes '6', then '10', and so on up to rank 1, which contributes a large number, '27495', the triangular progression for 234 [See note **].
But the values are also compensated for age. This is a deliberate action to try to filter out "the Cult of the New". From other studies I have seen that a game in average loses around 15% per year in rank according to the triangular sums above, if it is older than 2 years. So I use the games age, subtracts 2, and increase its score by 15.33% for each year to compensate. This is of course empirical data, and since the 15% is an average value I have noticed that it gives a huge over-compensation. Therefore I take the square root of the previous compensation. It all comes down to a multiplication with the factor SQRT (POW (1.1533, 2014 - YYYY)), where SQRT is the square root, POW is the value x raised to the power of y, 1.1533 is the 15.33%, 2014 is the no-compensation cut-off, and YYYY the publishing year of the original implementation of a game.

* because this makes the series of years complete without gaps between 1990 and 2016.
** 234, not 260, since there are many double, triple and even quadruple entries of essentially the same game, like Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue, and I just skip all but one of those and use only the highest ranked, but with the age compensation of the earliest release.

Edit: Bump here.
Reimplements post using better editing and a small change of algorithm.
Edit: Kevin Wilson down 9 places, since he has to share Star Wars: Imperial Assault with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
To call Sid Sackson a 'one hit wonder' is a bit of a disservice, I would say.

I am not surprised at all to the the Eon boys, some of the most original designs ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
...more than one game ranked in the top-260,...

There is nothing obvious to me about selecting that cut off point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:

I am not surprised at all to the the Eon boys, some of the most original designs ever.

Acquire and Can't Stop rank 540 are his highest ranked games, and unfortunately he misses this list. But I know he is not a one-hit wonder, agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
sthrjo wrote:
...more than one game ranked in the top-260,...

There is nothing obvious to me about selecting that cut off point.

The explanation is that I use the same data to track another list, "Putting numbers on "Cult of the New" by scrutinizing the current ranking list", involving the publishing years. On that list there is an empty gap for 1994 if not RoboRally is listed, and that sets the limit. But I assure you the cut-off function is smooth, there are no sudden jumps if I set it to 200 or 320 instead, just more effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do the values mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the sum of the contributing games listed. These in turn are based on the games bgg rank, starting at rank 260, RoboRally, 1 point. Triangular numbers are involved. It is then compensated for age, by a formula I have devised when scrutinizing the cult-of-the-new effect on bgg ranking. For RoboRally it would be 4.0 points. Older games and high-ranked games gives a non-linear higher score. If you want more details, I will comply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious how you view these weightings. For example, you list:

Uwe Rosenberg at 178190
Alan R. Moon at 31213
Bruno Faidutti at 955

Playing with math one might surmise:

Uwe Rosenberg is (178190/31213=) 5.7 times more successful/better/more important than Alan R. Moon.

or

Uwe Rosenberg is (178190/955=) 186.6 times more successful/better/more important than Bruno Faidutti.

I'm inserting words into your mouth, so please excuse me. It's just that I find the wild range in scoring notable, and am wondering what to make of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point system I use is non-linear, so it is unfair to put too much emphasis on a linear comparison between them, like you suggest. I deliberate use a non-linear scale so that the effects of a small change in the bgg ranking will reflect the news-flash value of the change: If Robo Rally goes up one rank, it will yield Garfield an 8 point increase, not much to fuzz about. But if Caverna would overtake Terra Mystica, Uwe Rosenberg would go up 249 points, rendering this overtake a 31.25 times more significant event than Garfields.
Alan R. Moon has 4 versions of Ticket to Ride on the top 260. I just award points for the highest ranked of them, but with the age compensation calculated for the original release. I do this for every game classified as a reimplementation. Of the top-260, 10% of the games are just doublets or triplets like this: Dominion Intrigue and Dominion, ...
Bruno Faidutti is a well-known name in the business, but rank-wise he is surprisingly anonymous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
msg tools
This and your "Cult of the New" analysis thread are terrific. Thanks for sharing your work.

I'm wondering if these threads would be better served in the 'General Gaming' forum? They are certainly more interesting and enlightening than many similar type of threads that pop up there weekly. Or maybe the admins could move them there?

Thanks in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did an update using the current bgg rank, and in a few days Corey Konieczka has climbed, due to Star Wars: Rebellion. Moreover, I decided to comply with what the classification of Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola officially is: Caverna is a reimplementation of Agricola. This makes Uwe Rosenberg a lot less dominant, and gives the lead to Vlaada Chvátil instead, well deserved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the actual formula, it's a bit difficult to follow through the objective, could you please post that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I have added it in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
I'm just curious how you view these weightings. For example, you list:

Uwe Rosenberg at 178190
Alan R. Moon at 31213
Bruno Faidutti at 955

Playing with math one might surmise:

Uwe Rosenberg is (178190/31213=) 5.7 times more successful/better/more important than Alan R. Moon.

or

Uwe Rosenberg is (178190/955=) 186.6 times more successful/better/more important than Bruno Faidutti.

I'm inserting words into your mouth, so please excuse me. It's just that I find the wild range in scoring notable, and am wondering what to make of it.

Since the total score consists of triangular numbers, and those are basically squares, the root of the numbers gives a more correct linear comparison: Uwe Rosenberg is SQRT(152888/30870) = 2.2 times more renowned than Alan R. Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Uwe Rosenberg is SQRT(152888/30870) = 2.2 times more renowned than Alan R. Moon.

Thanks for providing your definition of what the product of your calculations are.

I respectfully disagree that renown can be quantitatively determined. In this example, Alan R. Moon is also renown for hosting the annual Gathering of Friends. For us older game players, we may recall him from his development days at Avalon Hill. And while he isn't super active on BGG, his geeklist about his days at Avalon Hill earned him a lot of attention. These non-ratings related activities, and just his tenure in our hobby, surely enhance his renown.

You have obviously given a lot of careful thought about your methodology, and it creates a custom list of designers in the pecking order that makes sense to you. This is your right. No offense intended, I don't understand how to use your list. But I need not! Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
sthrjo wrote:

Bruno Faidutti is a well-known name in the business, but rank-wise he is surprisingly anonymous.

That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous although no one knows for what achievements, because I'm more interested in becoming famous than in achieving anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just played mission red planet this weekend.

Really fun and I finished last, imagine if I had done it better. Those cards tricked me at the end.

Great game.

A question, what's the main difference from this new citadels to the others? Just the art?

faidutti wrote:
sthrjo wrote:

That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous though no one knows for what achievements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
faidutti wrote:
That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous though no one knows for what achievements.

CITADEEEEEEEELLLLLLS !!!

</EricSummerer>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
How soon until Rob Daviau makes it onto the list? Pandemic Legacy is #1, and I imagine SeaFall will quickly rise through the ranks. He's got three games in the top 260, but I guess he is hurt by being listed as co-author on all of them, and for the relative recency of Pandemic Legacy's release.

Still, it seems odd that the designer of the #1 game isn't on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
How soon until Rob Daviau makes it onto the list? Pandemic Legacy is #1, and I imagine SeaFall will quickly rise through the ranks. He's got three games in the top 260, but I guess he is hurt by being listed as co-author on all of them, and for the relative recency of Pandemic Legacy's release.

Thank you for the suggestion. Now he is! I have changed how I rated the designers of reimplementations. Previously, only Matt Leacock got the points for Pandemic Legacy and Albert Lamorisse for Risk Legacy. After you pointed out the oddity, I included the codesigner of the reimplementation, and intend to do so all over. Much better IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. Now he is! I have changed how I rated the designers of reimplementations. Previously, only Matt Leacock got the points for Pandemic Legacy and Albert Lamorisse for Risk Legacy. After you pointed out the oddity, I included the codesigner of the reimplementation, and intend to do so all over. Much better IMHO.

thumbsup 5th seems a bit more appropriate for the designer of an SdJ nominee. Thanks for making the update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
sthrjo wrote:

That's the one thing I have in common with Donald Trump - I'm vaguely famous although no one knows for what achievements, because I'm more interested in becoming famous than in achieving anything.

I have a suggestion for more fame: Enter as a co-author for a reimplementation of an already ranked game! That is how Rob Daviau entered the list. I suggest Terra Mystica, where a future reimplementation marketed with Faidutti as co-author would surely be a hit. It would raise you 15 spots in this list I assure you.
Best wishes, Henrik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the age adjustment, I'm curious what ratings the designers of Crokinole and Go would have, if we knew who they were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I only list designers with multiple top-260 entries, suppose Go and Crokinole was made by the same designer, he would be ranked as around 20000 times more renowned than Vlaada Chvatil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:

I am also not listing Donald X. Vaccarino. He has two versions of the same game, Dominion: Intrigue (reimplementing Dominion), and then Kingdom Builder at rank 375. I did list the entire set, including the one-game wonder-designers, but the list becomes very long even if limited to the top-260. Donald X. Vaccarino is at rank 44, and Sid Sackson at rank 8 out of 168 designers of the top-260.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.