15 Posts

Castle Panic» Forums » General

Subject: Will this game be too light for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, Ive been playing games for around 3 years now, ranging from pandemic to ora and labora, so I consider myself a seasoned gamer. I was just wondering if this game would be too light? I am after a game that plays quick,fun, cooperative so my 9yo son can join in,solo, also to play it with my wife and maybe another couple at times. I own and really like eldritch and space cadets: away missions, but they both take 90-120 mins and are probably too heavy for my son and non gamers. anyway what are your thoughts? thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be, ut it should be perfect for your child. If you find it too light, get the expansions; you won't think that for long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing games for more than 10 times as long as you, I also consider myself "seasoned". One of the lessons that I've learned in that time is that there is no such thing as a game that is "too light" (or indeed "too heavy), there are only games that are fun and those that are not fun. We have some overlap in the games that we like and I happen to very much enjoy CP - as do the adults that I play it with (though I do tend to use the expansions with experienced gamers).

Is it too light for you? I have no idea - possibly, if you consider yourself to be "above" playing lighter games or get no fun from games such as Rhino Hero, Strike, Forbidden Desert or King of Tokyo. Myself, I'm as happy to play these as I am to play Arkham Horror, Die Macher, or anything by Vital Lacerda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is fairly easy. I dont believe other than maybe once or twice, did we ever fail to beat it. Then we got the first expansion Wizards Tower ... and boy did the game get extremely tough, so much so we put it aside and never played again. Its crazy how much harder it is, we never even came close. There is also another expansion The Dark Titan out, and I believe there is yet another upcoming expansion in the works as well. my copy + wizards is up for trade, send a msg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I own this game and both of the expansions. Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower does make the game more interesting because it adds magic, but the base game is really fun, even by itself. I wasn't too crazy about all the changes made in Castle Panic: The Dark Titan. It complicates the game a bit too much for my tastes, but I really like the knight dude you get to move around the board to fight monsters for you.

Anyway, I'm like you in that I like heavy games. I generally like games that take over two hours to play and have lots of deep strategy. That said, this game is always fun. I've played it probably more times than any other game because it's the game I use to introduce new people to board gaming. We always play with at least the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower expansion, and even brand new players seem to get the hang of it.

I win probably 85% of the time or so. The main strategy comes from trading cards with other players and which card to discard to draw spells from the wizard deck. I play with everyone's hands open on the table, to facilitate planning of who's gonna trade what to optimize our chances. I don't mean I take over; we all discuss it and have lots of fun.

Unless you need more to add to your cart for free shipping, I'd just start with the base game. If you just completely hate that, I don't think the expansions would help. If you just want a little more choices after playing the base game, get the Wizard's Tower expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is perfect for playing with your son, solo, or in a family setting. My kids like it and my wife often asks to play as a family, and it's definitely soloable.

If you decide to get it, you need to get The Wizards Tower expansion as well. I found the base game way too easy, the expansion adds some cool monsters and cards, as well as turns the difficulty up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely the outlier on this. I don't find it light or too easy at all. I own it and my friends and family and I have played it 12 to 15 times and we've only won once and that's with house ruling a couple of things to lean it more in our favor. And that's just the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
I'm definitely the outlier on this. I don't find it light or too easy at all. I own it and my friends and family and I have played it 10 to 12 times and we've only won once and that's with house ruling a couple of things to lean it more in our favor. And that's just the base game.
You sir, are doing something wrong! If you want to spin up a separate thread, we will give you some pointers rather than derail this one. You really shouldn't be losing at base game (well, at least no more than 20% of the time at max).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me throw you a slight curve. I have enjoyed Castle Panic and yes it is rather easy without the expansions. I would recommend Star Trek Panic which is based on Castle Panic. My friends and I have a blast with this one ... tense all the way through, major fun to play, a real surprise that it was going to be that much more fun for us than Castle Panic with or without expansions. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
I'm definitely the outlier on this. I don't find it light or too easy at all. I own it and my friends and family and I have played it 12 to 15 times and we've only won once and that's with house ruling a couple of things to lean it more in our favor. And that's just the base game.
You sir, are doing something wrong! If you want to spin up a separate thread, we will give you some pointers rather than derail this one. You really shouldn't be losing at base game (well, at least no more than 20% of the time at max).

Thanks. To minimize derailing, I already did a few weeks ago.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1582057/need-some-serio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Castle Panic can be a lot of fun, and would be great for a 9-year-old (depending on the the 9-year-old). Setting aside whether or not it is easy to win, the problem I had with it is that there were very few interesting decisions to make. I'm OK with "simple" games that are interesting. And I'm OK with co-ops that are easy to win if you play well. But I still want to have to make interesting decisions.

The Wizard's Tower added some much-needed decisions. It also added complexity, and from what others are saying, made it harder to win. Those might be improvements or drawbacks, depending on what you want. I didn't like that WT made the game a bit more swingy, because if you lose that one special tower (even through no fault of your own), you're probably screwed.

I was going to suggest Forbidden Island, but I see you have it up for trade. If that was too light for you, then base CP will *definitely* be too light, and CP+WT probably will be too. The suggestion to look into Star Trek Panic is a good one. (I haven't played it yet, but it's high on my wishlist).

Forbidden Desert has quite a bit more depth than Forbidden Island, as well as being a bit more thematic (no set collection), so that might be an option. Or perhaps Burgle Bros., which is comparable but a bit more random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be amusing for some brainless fun, but I really mean brainless. You'll only make a real decision once or twice in the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
It can be amusing for some brainless fun, but I really mean brainless. You'll only make a real decision once or twice in the entire game.
I'm sure that's some very amusing hyperbole, but it's a little rude given other postings on this thread. Clearly, it's not that the game is "brainless", but your gamer skills that make it feel so to you. Sure, it's generally felt to be a fairly easy, light co-op, but that doesn't render it into a brainless activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it to be a nice light co-op and I also use both the expansions and am awaiting the 3rd which will be out later this year.

If you want more depth then try out Star Trek Panic

I like both but do not play Castle Panic without the expansions as it is too easy with just the base game.
Also having someone play as the Overlord helps with making it more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
I'm sure that's some very amusing hyperbole, but it's a little rude given other postings on this thread. Clearly, it's not that the game is "brainless", but your gamer skills that make it feel so to you. Sure, it's generally felt to be a fairly easy, light co-op, but that doesn't render it into a brainless activity.

Um, no, I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm saying there are literally almost no decisions in it and that you literally will make a meaningful, non-trivial decision only a few times in the entire game.

Because you refill your hand after playing, there's never a reason to not play every basic attack card that you can. There are very few cards that you will want to hang onto as a result, so usually you'll just play every card in your hand. You'll always prefer to target monsters you can actually kill; other than that it doesn't matter much. Trading is very straightforward as well.

I'm also serious that it can be a fun game anyway; sometimes you just want to relax and play cards and see what happens and not really think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.