Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Executions - do they lower paranoia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my group has a reasonable amount of experience with the base game (which we like), but after trying the Pegasus expansion a couple of times I'm not really a fan of the executions. One of my favourite things about BSG is the paranoia and uncertainty of who is cylon and who is human. Can you trust anyone? But with executions available, that gets removed to an extent. In the couple of games we played, we just tended to execute players who we were reasonably suspicious of as it's a 100% accurate test of their loyalty.

So what I'm looking for is thoughts on how to make executions less common. Thoughts for possible variants I had were:
- Once a human has been executed, the airlock can no longer be activated
- Don't lose any morale per execution, but once 2 humans have been executed, morale immediately drops to 2
- Lose 2 morale per human execution

What are your thoughts on executions, levels of loyalty uncertainty, and these variants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exodus adds one extra loyalty card into the deck. The extra card is mostly because of the Conflicted Loyalties (Personal Goals / Final Five), but it also makes execution a risk. After fulfilling a Personal Goal and after the execution of a character, one random YANAC loyalty card is shuffled into the loyalty deck, and the new character draws a loyalty card. Execution after sleeper phase no longer guarantees you a human admiral.

On the other hand the extra card makes it possible to have an undealt cylon loyalty card. There are variants to 'fix it', although it doesn't really bother me. It's good for the humans to win sometimes. And with 4 players it allows all of the players to win a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of adding risk that the executed player comes back as an unrevealed Cylon. Pre-Sleeper that is easily accomplished by adding the dead character's Loyalty card back into the Sleeper phase Loyalty cards and have the new character draw from that.

I guess in a 5P game post-Sleeper you could easily create a new loyalty deck out of some number of remaining, unused Loyalty cards and add a third Cylon card in the mix and have the player draw from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Exodus, but I like Gert's pre-sleeper idea of shuffling loyalty back into the deck and redrawing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Our rule on Executions:

If a Cylon is executed, the humans gain + 1 Morale
Any further Cylons that are executed gain zero Morale for humans

If a human is executed, humans lose - 1 Morale
Next human executed, humans lose - 2 Morale
and so on

Better be pretty sure

Of course, if you are not sure, encourage all players to Fail the Airlock Skill Check - this keeps secret Cylons and Cylon Leaders from just executing characters in the game for their own benefit

Don't forget, in order to execute someone at Pegasus - you MUST PASS the Airlock Skill Check (good chance to rid yourself of some Skill Cards you don't want, or maybe a Treachery Card)
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered +1 Morale for executing a Cylon, but doesn't it encourage more executions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game Kobol setup, the loyalty of the admiral is very important. In Pegasus' New Caprica, the loyalty of the admiral is absolutely critical since they can end the game immediately once Galactica returns to orbit...usually decimating both the population and morale resource. (The loyalty of Pegasus' Ellen Tigh is also paramount since she can become the admiral at the start of her turn with her OPG. Thus, like the TV show, she should probably be executed if the Cylons have not yet been rooted out).

For this reason, I do not believe executions belong in any context outside of New Caprica.

Pegasus, as an expansion, in my opinion was designed to work with all of its parts included. Which is why executions out of the New Caprica context don't feel right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
So my group has a reasonable amount of experience with the base game (which we like), but after trying the Pegasus expansion a couple of times I'm not really a fan of the executions. One of my favourite things about BSG is the paranoia and uncertainty of who is cylon and who is human. Can you trust anyone? But with executions available, that gets removed to an extent. In the couple of games we played, we just tended to execute players who we were reasonably suspicious of as it's a 100% accurate test of their loyalty.

So what I'm looking for is thoughts on how to make executions less common. Thoughts for possible variants I had were:
- Once a human has been executed, the airlock can no longer be activated
- Don't lose any morale per execution, but once 2 humans have been executed, morale immediately drops to 2
- Lose 2 morale per human execution

What are your thoughts on executions, levels of loyalty uncertainty, and these variants?

Overall, it's just another layer of intrigue that gets added to this game series. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you place a heavy emphasis on not knowing who the cylons are, and trying to figure out who they are, know that some people's play styles are such that they prefer to reveal early. Some folks reveal early out of necessity. If you're the type of person where the game gets a lot less exciting for you once all of the cylons are known, then I would highly suggest you play games like Avalon, Werewolf, or The Resistance, where those games are almost completely about finding out who the bad guys are. They're pretty much over once you know who the bad guys are, and bonus is the games wont need to take 2 to 4 hours like with BSG.

If it's that bad, make a stiffer penalty for any executions that are voluntary that do NOT require a skill check (counter example includes Exodus' Final Five loyalty cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our group usually plays with a third loyalty deck for the post-sleeper phase. It consists of 1 Cylon and 8 Human cards.

Without this variant the Human players would simply try to give the Admiral and/or President title(s) the executed (and 100% proven Human) player. Which would make the game easier for the Humans and less fun. We love our paranoia.

"Our execution indicates that you are not a Cylon, although you can never know for sure.."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with the pegasus board. It adds way too many problems.

Having the odd and rare execution come up via crisis card is interesting. Having it ever present as a gameboard option is a problem that isn't worth trying to fix imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
(The goal before sleeper is to get the Airlock damaged from crisis or from Basestar attacks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Don't play with the pegasus board. It adds way too many problems.

Having the odd and rare execution come up via crisis card is interesting. Having it ever present as a gameboard option is a problem that isn't worth trying to fix imo.

I've noticed if groups don't really use AQ nor Admin, Airlock is moot anyways. Comes back to the damage sponge case.

For groups that use Airlock a lot, hopefully they're being methodical about that, as sometimes, that's a lot of skill cards for nothing.

a1bert wrote:
(The goal before sleeper is to get the Airlock damaged from crisis or from Basestar attacks.)

In many of my groups, 2 Peggy locations getting damaged happens a lot more often than not. It's literally 50/50 as to if Airlock's part of the package. Less often, we play it dangerous and let it go to3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.