Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #1
From the campaign page: http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter

Quote:
Dear Backers,

welcome to the Kickstarter campaign for Roots of Mali. The party has just begun and music starts playing inviting tunes. Let's gather in the kitchen for now and get known to each other.

In this first update I'd like to send out a warm welcome and big hello from the whole team at Suncoregames before I show you around. My name is Daniel, I have joined Suncoregames to support game designers Adrian and Bujar throughout the campaign. Other than here you'll find me at Board Game Circus and some of you might already know me from BoardGameGeek and Kickstarter of course. I am an avid backer myself and you are invited to look at my backer profile, maybe we have already shared some campaigns. Interesting side note: I became a Superbacker today, thus I am wearing the Superbacker badge on my profile.

Funding Goal in Swiss Francs

CHF is short for Swiss Franc and that is the currency this campaign is using. When running a campaign on Kickstarter the only choice you have is using your own countries currency. Well, actually that's not even a choice, it is just that. If you are not familiar with the Swiss Franc, you'll be happy to hear that it historically is a stable currency that pretty much converts to other major currencies for an almost fixed rate, without any ups and downs. Your credit card company will do the math for you. And we have added rough conversions to Dollar and Euro to the pledge levels as well.

Customs Friendly Shipping

Speaking of major regions, like the EU, USA, Canada or Australia where most of the backers usually come from. For these regions we offer customs friendly shipping from within each area. So no custom charges for you. Of course we love all our backers the same, so everyone is welcome. We are covering part of your shipping costs ourselves to make sure as many games as possible will make their way to the gaming tables all over the world.

Group pledges and Retailers

We love group pledges. Actually I am part of a nice group pledging community on BoardGameGeek myself. If you want to order a larger amount of games for your store, web shop or gaming club, we are happy to receive your personal message. And yes, these will be available for pick-up in Essen, too.

Essen Pick-Up

So what is Essen? Where can you pick up the games instead of having them shipped? Once per year Essen becomes the board gaming Mekka when the SPIEL opens its gates. SPIEL is supposed to be Europe's or maybe even the World's largest gaming fair with up to 1500 board game releases per year and hundreds of companies of all sizes represented. Suncoregames will be there with a small but lovely booth to show and teach Roots of Mali and Light of Dragons... and to hand out backer rewards. So if you happen to visit SPIEL too, you are welcome to pledge for Essen Pick-Up and fetch a signed copy at the booth.
Community Stretch Goal

This was a fun idea to help spreading the word. Let’s play a little game and collect Victory Points just like in Roots of Mali. For each 100th backer/follower/subscriber we will reward the community with 1 Victory Point. At each 5 Victory Points wer are going to unlock another community stretch goal. We are all in this together and by collecting Victory Points you can help us to reach even more people. We have written down the current numbers for Facebook etc., which is now our „zero“. Starting from there we are counting up.

These are the links for your actions:

Like: https://www.facebook.com/Light-of-Dragons-1603856869863915/
Follow: http://twitter.com/suncoregames
Follow: http://instagram.com/suncoregames
Subscribe & become fan: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202245/roots-mali

Throughout the campaign we will posts community stretch goal statistics whenever we post updates.

Roots of Mali / Light of Dragons

You heard me talking of Light of Dragons. LoD is the predecessor of Roots of Mali (RoM). It is also a standalone game with its own tribe, featuring six different creatures with their own special abilities. LoD had its first appearance at SPIEL'15 (there it is again!) and will probably be sold out after this campaign. So before people at Essen can get their hands at the first edition of LoD we have decided to add them to this campaign. If you want to go all-in on the tactical abstract adventure, this is it. 300 copies are available (plus 100 for the 2-game tier) and after that there is only thin air.

During the campaign we will teach you how to play the game, that will help you to make a decision whether you want both or start low. For that we are providing a low-ink print'n'play and a digital game at Tabletopia.

Print'n'Play

All you need is a solid bunch of six-sided dice, a printer and two sheets of paper. We have compiled a low-ink version of the game board and a dice-conversion-table to allow you playing the game with available standard dice. We agree that the low-ink print'n'play isn't as visually pleasing as the real game but it should serve its purpose. The bright and colorful deluxe Print'n'Play is reserved for those backers who love crafting their own games. Get the print'n'play right here: http://bit.ly/rom_pnp

Tabletopia

Tabletopia is a beast of its own, a sandbox platform that allows game designers to implement a fully digital version of their games. You can use Tabletopia in a web browser once you have downloaded the Unity web player, your browser will prompt for that. From what I have heard it might not work on Chrome. Tabletopia is also available on Steam. I think you need to be registered for that but the browser versions of Roots of Mali and Light of Dragons are available for free and for everyone while Tabletopia is still in beta.

Other than in a real computer game the games on Tabletopia are 1:1 copies of their physical brothers and sisters. There is no artificial intelligence, no computer opponent, just the game in a virtual room on a virtual table. You need to know the rules and you need a friend to challenge. Both can be found right here at the Kickstarter campaign. I suggest starting with the rules. Once you have had a look at these we will teach you how to play, and once you are familiar with that we are hosting designer-vs-backer games on Tabletopia.
Language

I should mention that we are a team from Switzerland and Germany. English is not our first language. Please keep that in mind when you feel that something wasn't communicated properly. We are here to help and answer your questions. If you are in doubt about something please feel free to ask.

We are grateful for your support and happy to have you with us. All the best

Daniel & SunCoreGames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #2
From the campaign page http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter

Quote:
Who is playing tabletop games? And by that I don't refer to family games or board games, I am talking of strategic tabletop games? It seems like the scene caught fire, tabletop gamers really love Roots of Mali because of its deep strategy. "Zero luck involved!" is what we say, because you don't roll the dice. You move them, upgrade, attack and cast spells with your creatures. In Roots of Mali (and Light of Dragons) it all comes down to your skills, strategy and tactics. Outwit your opponent by clever creature combinations, build traps and catch them off guard.

Tomorrow we are going to start posting short videos with gameplay tutorials. We are highlighting game setup and each characters abilities from the Golden Fruit (1) to the mighty Mali (6). But before we start let us have a look at the wonderful videos that some of my favorite YouTubers made...

Video Reviews
This great introductory video with a detailed review was made by To Die For Games. It is in English, so welcome international backers, this is for you...

For all German-speaking backers we have a great podcast episode by Megabotato you should listen to. They played several sessions of Roots of Mali and Light of Dragons and give very detailed insights. Also discussing their sessions and what makes the game great. Click: https://www.magabotato.de/podcast/item/episode-50

Dice

I got a private message from the current Guinness World Record holder for the largest collection of dice, Kevin Cook. He is a backer and has added the dice of Roots of Mali to his collection. Technically Guinness probably wouldn't accept them as 'dice' because you are not rolling them in Roots of Mali. Except when determining the start player. You can visit Kevin's website here: DiceCollector.com

We on the other hand think that these are real dice. Because the are heavy, they are huge and they feel good. No need to play a dice chucker to have some (30 in total!) awesome dice. Let's have a closer look at the final product...

This is a die from Light of Dragons. I have chosen this one for the photograph because other than the Roots of Mali prototype dice this is a final product. And it is exactly the same quality that you will receive with Roots of Mali. One set of black 20mm plastic dice and one set of green 20mm plastic dice. Thirty awesome dice. Solid, sturdy quality with a nice detailed print.

I put them on a scale and although it was made for cooking and isn't quite accurate I got a result of approx. 9-10 Grams per die. That equals 0.32 ounces.

Tournament

Yes, a competition! Online and while we are still live with the campaign. Starting next week we will organize an online tournament where you – the backers – can compete in Roots of Mali using the digital browser-version on Tabletopia. This coming Saturday (23st of July, 17:00 - 24:00 CET) game designer Bujar Haskaj will introduce you to Tabletopia and show you how to play online. Once you got the hang of it you can try yourself and prepare yourself for the tournament. After the introduction we will share a spreadsheet where you can register for the tournament simply by filling in your backer name. On Saturday I'll post a link to a hangout or Skype group chat to help organize Bujar's schedule with you guys.

Thanks for backing us. If you are still on the fence please do come in. We need you and every backer is much appreciated. Let's get to 20% within the first 48 hours, wouldn't that be great?

Thanks and all the best

Daniel & SunCoreGames

P. S.: Any ideas how we can bring some more life to the comment section? If you are a Swiss/German backer: do you feel comfortable with us posting solely in English? As international backer: can you live with our English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #3

Quote:
Dear Backers,

you may have noticed that the campaign didn't gain the momentum we wanted. We are going to be very transparent about this and we are already working on improvements. The goal is to turn this ship around and bring it safely into its harbor.

Where are we now?

We have started pretty good with 20% of our funding goal reached in less than 48 hours. Soon after that we made 25%, one fourth of the funding goal. Then it all stopped. But did it? Really? I want to address this.

What actually happened is that the number of people leaving the campaign and the number of people joining the campaign are pretty much equal. We still have new backers joining us every day!

Statistically speaking July/August are the least effective month for crowdfunding. I have several parallel running projects on my monitor and they all suffer from missing momentum. Backers, this is not the time to leave, it is the time to stay and show your support. Together we can turn this trend around. All you have to do is stay with us and enjoy the new backers coming in. If you are with us now, we will get an upwards trend again.

And that is not all. We are also working on even more promotion and we might offer some changes to the campaign itself to help boost it. So bear with us, we have noticed the problem and we are working on a fix.

More Videos

Spielama from Germany has another video for us. And Alex says something really important in it: Roots of Mali is a game for those who love abstract games. Promoting the game was a bit tough before everyone really noticed that this is especially for those who are seeking a 2-player challenge that doesn't involve luck and is solely mastered by skills. So even if he isn't a fan of abstract strategy games, he is giving it a fair review.

Michael from Toucan Play That Game was in pretty much the same situation. He points out that he probably isn't the target group, but he doesn't fail to explain what is great about the game...

So with that in mind, maybe you know someone else who is up for good abstract strategy. We have shared the campaign with abstract gaming lists in the web and would love to see you sharing it with those that will enjoy this as much as you and we do.

Tutorial Videos

Time for some more tutorial videos. Last time we have shown game setup and basic movement, attack and spells, together with the Mali. Today let us focus on some more creatures in Roots of Mali...

Specialty: Pretentious Gold

The Golden Fruit cannot move and its Power Level cannot be increased. If you defeat a Golden Fruit you do not gain Victory Points (and no Field Bonus). A defeated Golden Fruit is returned into the Reserve of its player.

Sounds pretty lame? Trust me, the Golden Fruit is a beast. First you cannot lose it in battle so you are not running out of dice when your enemy defeats them. But its real power is unleashed in combination with the Protectress of the Woods...

Upgrade Ability: Symbiosis

Move your Protectress of the Woods onto one own adjacent Golden Fruit. Put the golden Fruit back into your Reserve. Now increase the Power Level of your Protectress by 1.

As you can see the combination of Protectress + Golden Fruit is pretty powerful. You can start with several Protectresses and some golden fruits, move forward, deploy Golden Fruits and all of a sudden upgrade several of them to powerful creatures, using the Trigger Points you have collected. Or upgrade the Protectresses to sneaky Shadow Runners giving you new possibilities to move faster across the board.

If you want to see all tutorial videos you can watch the whole playlist. I'll comment on more tutorial videos in the coming updates.

As always thanks for your support and rest assured that we will soon be back with some improvements.

Daniel & SunCoreGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #5

Quote:
Dear Backers,

yesterday I said that we have noticed missing momentum in the campaign and I promised that we are going to fix that. If you know me from past campaigns, you'll know that I am not giving up because I truly believe we can still turn the trend upwards. For that we have taken initiative and improved several aspects of the campaign.

Improved Campaign Video

This is just a minor adjustment but it might help. Our wonderful backer Seba Jakobi is a radio presenter and he recorded a voice over for the campaign video. Today I have spent almost 2,5 hours to re-edit the whole video. In general it is still the same but it now features Seba's motivating voice and it is a lot more dynamic and shorter. More to the point. So hopefully new visitors will find it easier to watch and get into the campaign.

If you like it please leave a comment and clap your hands for Seba. Do it in the main comments so everyone can see it Bear in mind that neither Seba nor us are native English speakers.

Reduced Price for Pledge Level

This is truly a major improvement. SHADOW RUNNER (ESSEN PICK-UP), the pledge level for 2 games – a copy of Roots of Mali and a copy of Light of Dragons – was reduced by 10 CHF. Down from 79 CHF to 69 CHF.

How is that possible you may ask, and why didn't we do that in the first place? We are going to be very transparent about it. We were planning to do paid advertisement on Facebook etc. However, with the campaign missing momentum we felt that it isn't 'looking good' if people come over from an advertisement. So instead of giving that money to advertisers we are giving it to you.

With this gesture we want to encourage you to think about upgrading to the SHADOW RUNNER (ESSEN PICK-UP) and thus help us lifting this campaign off the ground.

This is the new SHADOW RUNNER (ESSEN PICK-UP) pledge level. Everyone who is already at that level should now choose the newly created tier from the REWARDS section of the campaign. Since we cannot change the existing pledge level it is mandatory that you manually select the new one!

New Pledge Level

Due to backer demand we have created a new pledge level: TOUGH SPROUT – 2 print'n'play games: Roots of Mali & Light of Dragons. Other than in SPROUT (10 CHF, 1 PNP) you will receive full-color print'n'play files for both games with a slight discount (18 CHF instead of 20 CHF).

If you are backing us at the SPROUT level you might consider upgrading to TOUGH SPROUT to give this campaign a boost.

More Improvements Coming Soon

Soon we are going to implement Paypal Pledges on the SunCoreGames website. This will allow people without credit card (yes, these folks exist!) to support the campaign, too. All money collected via PayPal will go towards the funding goal and unlocking stretch goals.

More press: Two interviews and an article about the development of Roots if Mali are in the making and will soon be published online.

The Community Stretch Goal will be overhauled. We are going to make it easier for you to reach it. Don't stop sharing the campaign, the best support you can give us besides backing is spreading the word. Every shout-out counts!

How You Can Help Us

What we need right now is team spirit and exposure. We are not going to let you down and we hope that you'll go through this with us. The product is definitely worth it, reviews and fans of the first game are the living proof. I am optimistic that the improvements will have an effect, not to mention the ongoing promotion.

As for exposure: that can be done by sharing the campaign with family and friends or your gaming group. Feel free to pick images from the campaign page or the Facebook page for Roots of Mali.

Tomorrrow we are going to be back with more improvements!

Thanks for backing us

Daniel & SunCoreGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #6

Quote:
Dear Backers,

phew, we are really going strong pushing and pulling the car forwards. The improvements we have announced and implemented yesterday already had a positive effect. Thanks a lot to all those who increased their pledge from the TORCH BEARER (ESSEN PICK-UP) to the newly created and price-reduced SHADOW RUNNER (ESSEN PICK-UP). We are so happy to have you supporting us. And it'll be a time full of joy when we hand out the diggers copies of the games to you in person!

Community Stretch Goal Improvement

Here is one for you. When we created the community stretch goal we thought it would be fun to make it as some sort of "game" to collect Victory Points etc. Long story short: it was a bit complicated and looking at the current numbers not helping at all. So we have replaced it with a more comfortable version and lowered the goal while we were at it:

Now all backers as a team will receive 1 Victory Point for each like (facebook page), following (twitter account), following (instagram account), subscription and becoming a fan (boardgamegeek) and simply for every backer we have.

How many Victory Points have you already collected since the campaign started?

The anwser is: 179 Victory Points. This stretch goal is more than 50% done. If we reach funding the community stretch goal will add more fun to the game.

You can easily help bringing it down by visiting the above mentioned (and linked) social media platforms and show us some love. This will help to get the word out. Thank you so much!

Interview

Kurt from MFGCast has interviewed designer Bujar Haskaj about Roots of Mali, Light of Dragons and the game series in general. Hop over to his site and give it a read!

Together We Are Strong

Dear Backers, I am really grateful for your ongoing support. Today has been a good day and I am optimistic about the coming days, too. I'll be back with more positivity tomorrow. Until then sleep well or flood the comments of the campaign with some chit-chat.

Thank you

Daniel & SunCoreGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.