$5.00
$20.00
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just seen on the website of my boardgame store that the French version of the game will be sold under the name "Pandemic : Le règne de Cthulhu", so with a half-translated name while the "classic Pandemic" is sold using the French word "Pandémie".

Anyone knows why this change has occurred ?

The covers:

Pandemic : Le règne de Cthulhu

Pandémie : Au seuil de la Catastrophe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brand names are mostly no longer translated. It's probably because companies and especially the marketplace have become more global. Even in China, Japan and other countries with non-Latin alphabets, "iPhone", "dyson", "Google Play", etc. remain untranslated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of translation is to keep the original meaning.
The original Pandemic game was about an "epidemic of infectious disease that has spread through human populations across a large region; for instance multiple continents, or even worldwide"(via Wikipedia).
As such it was sensible to translate the word "Pandemic" to "Pandémie".
Reign of Cthulhu doesn't have anything to do with an actual Pandemic. The game might as well be named "Xyzzy: Reign of Cthulhu".
The meaning of "Pandemic" in this context is different and translation to "Pandémie" might not be the best idea.

Let's consider two scenarios:
1) You know the "Pandemic" series well.
Whether the title is "Pandemic: Le règne de Cthulhu" or "Pandémie: Le règne de Cthulhu" you probably know what to expect from this game.
2) You don't know the "Pandemic" series yet.
If the title is "Pandémie: Le règne de Cthulhu" you might be under impression that the game deals with diseases which is untrue.
But when the title is "Pandemic: Le règne de Cthulhu" you get a signal "Hey, this word isn't translated so it's probably a brand, series name, or something like that" which is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamnative wrote:
Brand names are mostly no longer translated.

Indeed.

Because it's the responsibility and the choice of the owner of the imported license to make the brand live in the translated name.

haroth9842 wrote:
Let's consider two scenarios:
1) You know the "Pandemic" series well.
Whether the title is "Pandemic: Le règne de Cthulhu" or "Pandémie: Le règne de Cthulhu" you probably know what to expect from this game.
2) You don't know the "Pandemic" series yet.
If the title is "Pandémie: Le règne de Cthulhu" you might be under impression that the game deals with diseases which is untrue.
But when the title is "Pandemic: Le règne de Cthulhu" you get a signal "Hey, this word isn't translated so it's probably a brand, series name, or something like that" which is true.

1) If you know the series, you probably know it under its French name.

2) you can figure a way to link this game to the series ... under its French name.

Here we have the box of the French version of a spin off referring to the original series ... under the English name, not the French one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Menezes
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar thing has also happened in Brazil, where the first game had it´s name translated to "Pandemia" but Pandemic Legacy retained it´s name in the translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
I work in a boardgame/toy store in Montréal (Canada/Québec), and it got me by surprise when we received a new shipment of pandemic;

The french version is now also called pandemic, and not pandémie anymore, which is kind of sad, because it was easier to tell the two versions apart from afar, since both names were slightly different. I guess the Philo sofia red square will become my sole indicator.

The box for the french catan (catane 2016) was also changed for the visuals of the english version, despite the box still being square and the components looking totally different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to be extra careful when shopping for games to make sure I don't pick up the French printing by mistake. Vice Versa for mes ami francaise.

I guess I should have picked up that "Pandémie" T-Shirt at Z-Man's Warehouse sale. Might become a collectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamnative wrote:
Brand names are mostly no longer translated. It's probably because companies and especially the marketplace have become more global. Even in China, Japan and other countries with non-Latin alphabets, "iPhone", "dyson", "Google Play", etc. remain untranslated.

Similarly guessing this could be a form of IP protection. The brand name "Pandemic" might be more easily protected than its translation in every single country with IP laws and whose translation is an everyday word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warmonger Jensen
msg tools
Saw it at a bookstore here in Denmark titled "Pandemia" with Danish translations etc. yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub K.
Poland
flag msg tools
Yup. Pandemic is now a brand name.
The polish Pandemic: The Cure was also half translated as Pandemic: Lekarstwo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.