$35.00
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(The following is excerpted from a post at www.heroscapers.com. The reference to other section/thread is for that site).

Taeblewalker and I played our first two games with my new Innistrad set and the previous two. As far as I'm concerned, only now has the game reached the start of its real potential, with enough cards to make Army and Spell Deck pregame builds. TW said "It's still the same game," which he likes. We enjoyed trying out the new Planeswalkers (PWs), Army cards, and Spell cards, using the old 500 point totals, as still called for in all scenarios (if you only have one of the Master Sets, this is a given).

Game One

We played Innistrad Battlefield 1. TW took Sorin (Black/White PW), with Avacyn and the Skirsdag Cultists. I chose Arlinn (Red/Green PW), with the Kessig Rangers and Flamewing Phoenixes. He would attack; I would defend.

I sent my Rangers to the central hill to take crossbow shots, but they were then overwhelmed in melee before I could transform them into their stronger werewolf selves. The first Crypolith went down, and the land screamed! My Phoenixes spread out to take the Glyphs, only to realize that there was no point to Heal a 1 Life figure, and I had used no spell to Retrieve. The enemy took one of them out, and I hastened to the defense of the second rock tower. Then Avacyn took the center high ground, and I managed to transform Arlinn and destroy the troublesome angel. Hooray! But the second 'Lith went down, and now my enemy had the scenario bonus, and I the penalty! My transformed PW fought on, but it was in vain. Once again, evil, I mean Taeblewalker, had triumphed. This guy had beaten me with all five PWs, back in our Core Game only days. Was there no end to his march to victory?

Game Two
We played Core Game Battlefield 1. TW recruited the new improved Jace II (Blue PW), with the Necro-Alchemist and the Lantern Geists. I enrolled Nahiri (Red/White PW), along with the Mad Prophet and the Bloodline Nobles. So we each would field one PW, one Hero, and one Squad.

We both started out racing for the center hill. I got there first with my squad, but his Hero zoomed past to attack my PW. My Hero came up to engage him. Soon he was destroyed!

I moved up my PW for a combo master strike, as he didn't yet know her inherent abilities (card powers), let alone what spells I had in store for him. His two squaddies were only one hex apart. So Nahiri moved behind him, to the space between his two Geists, lay her extra hex down below her, and cast the 45 Point (very strong) Fell the Mighty (White). In a cloud of thunder, both unwounded Geists were totally destroyed and removed. He couldn't believe it. Zap!

TW gamely (what else) brought his PW into melee combat, but it was pretty hopeless for him now as a "Lone Ranger." Using my Hero buffed to six attack dice (3 Basic+2 Insistant Ravings +1 Height) And thus I won my first game against my esteemed foe in a long, long time. Victory is sweet!

Next time we'll try out the new 600 point Army total. According to my new FAQ (see separate post), Hasbro (their German office, in fact) has now cleared it for all scenarios. I've only got one of each set, so it will be tight to play with more players, and I'll have to adopt a convention (alternating picks?) for games where more than one player can choose cards from the same mana color decks (army and spell).

This is now a more fun little game. But I'm still looking to combine it with regular Scape. For my lastest thoughts on that, see the (nonAOTP) General Discussion section, New York City Gang of Four thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking up a second copy of the original base game will help a lot with being able to play the various multi colored plainswalkers. They are dirt cheap now too for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
using the old 500 point totals, as still called for in all scenarios (if you only have one of the Master Sets, this is a given)...

...Next time we'll try out the new 600 point Army total. According to my new FAQ (see separate post), Hasbro (their German office, in fact) has now cleared it for all scenarios. I've only got one of each set, so it will be tight to play with more players, and I'll have to adopt a convention (alternating picks?) for games where more than one player can choose cards from the same mana color decks (army and spell).

Mate, I dont know if you play MTG itself, but have you thought about 'Drafting' before the actual game? Just draft the cards between the players like the real thing. Each player can only take their walkers colour spells so like Sorin vs Nahiri white would be in demand but you would have free reign on black/red ect but you may be fighting a chandra player for red so would want more black. Wow Ive got to try this myself if I get the expansion soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Excellent thought. No, I'm not a Magic player, but in Heroscape we can draft for Army Cards (there are no spell cards). Would you choose Planeswalkers first among the players, and then do a separate draft for Armies (first) and Spells (second)? Maybe I'll try doing that solitaire, to answer the question of how many players drafting at once from the components of one of each of the three sets will support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rasmussen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Picking up a second copy of the original base game will help a lot with being able to play the various multi colored plainswalkers. They are dirt cheap now too for the most part.

They are selling them for $9 at my local Target. Many copies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.